love

Author Topic: Bottom 5 of 2015  (Read 3599 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Bottom 5 of 2015
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »
Only around 70, I think, but still.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »
Re: Amy

I can understand your reaction to Amy's story because it is horrible what happened to her but you are shooting the messenger somewhat. There was an awful lot of care shown by people around her as well as harm done by others, and the film, to me, spent as much time trying to show how much was understood about the psychological position she was in yet how little could be done about it. Mainly I think Kapadia's technique itself means it can escape charges of gawking at an accident as it happens. His choice of footage from the time shows a major part of the problem, that people stuck their cameras in her face constantly. Do you think he can be accused of joining in the feeding frenzy in retrospect?
Perhaps all this would be less clear if Senna didn't exist as a comparison on the style Kapadia uses.

Re:Blackhat. Nothing wrong with Blackhat. It's not a return to form (because Mann had such form at his best) but it is a climb out of the trough he got himself into. The film shouldn't get passed over.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:08:23 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 03:00:57 AM »
My bottom 5, well 6 as 1 of the other 5 is a short

27.   70   The Gunman (2015 - Pierre Morel)
27.   70   Wild Card (2015 - Simon West)
29.   69   Jupiter Ascending (2015 - Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski)
30.   68   The Infinite Man (2014 - Hugh Sullivan)
31.   65   Kung Fury (2015 - David Sandberg) #
31.   65   Dragon Blade (2015 - Daniel Lee)

Dragon Blade was definitely at the bottom of the list, The Gunman and Wild Card were ok. The Infinite Man suffered from low budget problems. Jupiter Ascending was more of a trainwreck that, given its budget and crew, should have been a lot better.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 07:15:32 AM »
Do you think he can be accused of joining in the feeding frenzy in retrospect?

I wouldn't go so far as to accuse him, if only because I'm clearly in the minority in my reaction to it, but that is how it felt to me, yes.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 10:00:32 AM »
Cool. I'm not sure how else he tells this story when this is the way he does it. I can see that some of the clips are shockingly intrusive so he had a choice whether to use them or not. I just think he needed to make that point about intrusion and press abuse somewhere. It's an English disease. The press went beyond all moral boundaries at the time Winehouse was around. Some of the press behaviour is degraded.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 01:06:47 PM »

Re:Blackhat. Nothing wrong with Blackhat. It's not a return to form (because Mann had such form at his best) but it is a climb out of the trough he got himself into. The film shouldn't get passed over.

It shouldn't get passed over by those who appreciate Mann's style.  There are only a couple films by Mann I like, but his heavy-style films I don't care for.  This is one of them.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
From the worstest to the worst.

1. The Gunman
Holy frack was this boring. It's like the people making it forgot they were trying to make a thriller. Sean Penn tries to go the geriatric action route while working in some political subplots about... well I forget... and instead we have the wasted talents of what looks on paper to be a perfect cast. I at least enjoyed Mark Rylance (first thing I've ever seen him in) and Javier Bardem was so out there and loopy as a drunk that his scenes were a little fun.

2. Terminator: Genisys
I'd take every other summer 2015 franchise blockbuster over this. I know Avengers 2 and Jurassic World weren't everyone's cup of tea but at least it wasn't this. Not even in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. Cameron's Terminator/T2 had a lot more going on. All the emotion that comes from John/Sarah/Kyle's stories and the relationships they have and the choices they make has been lost in the sequels. It was fun to have Schwarzenegger back, but when the best thing about your movie is Ah-nuld's performance, well...

3. Get Hard
I guess when you try to update Trading Places you just end up with something very racist and homophobic that tells you the joke is that it's crossing a line, but at the end of the day... it's crossing a line. Ever the optimist, the more I see Kevin Hart the more I want him to do a comedy with Chris Tucker or Charlie Day. His manic energy would be interesting to see in something more dramatic as well.

4. Jupiter Ascending
No we get into the "hey it ain't half as bad as I heard" films. Someone somewhere is giving the Wachowski's money to make stuff like this and maybe it's because this is wedged between Cloud Atlas and Sense8 (two huge faves of mine) that I sort of shrug it off. It's wacky, but takes itself seriously and that takes some gusto. Don't forget "Bees can sense royalty."

5. Blackhat
I'm conflicted by this. Michael Mann's got Style and his production values are always something to study (same I would say of Ridley Scott or Tony Scott), but I feel like nothing ever came together the way I may have expected it to and that may be my own shortcoming. It just felt like a bunch of disparate parts put together and I got nothing out of it. On the other hand Stuart Dryburgh does an excellent job of just transporting you into some sort of unique world that's got many familiar Mann flourishes.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 02:30:40 AM »
1. Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation

Here's a rogue notion, watching a supposedly elite spy and his team bumble one op after the other is stupid. Show them being good at stuff! I mean I get it, they need to face some adversity, but god damn, it felt like I was watching little league. I'm still annoyed at Alec Baldwin wandering into this movie. WHY IS HIS IN THIS!? Did he even go through wardrobe and make-up or did he just kind of turn up? At least cast someone with an interesting face. If you put on glasses that filtered out boring performances, there'd be a big black spot in the shape of Alec Baldwin in this movie for about 5 minutes. Maybe next movie they can cast Paul Giamatti as a pointless bureaucrat and get him to read generic lines too. Morgan freeman can play the president; Michael Cera can be Simon Pegg's awkward apprentice, and Mads Mikkelsen can be the baddie. Bring Anthony Hopkins back to reprise his incredibly boring role too while we're at it. /still bitter

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 02:56:52 AM »
My feeling, when I saw the film, was how incredibly generous it was to allow the English people in the film to make them look so stupid for so long. I'm a big fan of Sean Harris who played the baddie, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed the film.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:59:53 AM by verbALs »

love