love

Author Topic: Once Upon a March in the West -2016  (Read 21478 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Once Upon a March in the West -2016
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
This was last year's funniest thing at the Forum!

These fell out of the hat:

Rawhide (1951)
The Moonlighter (1953)
Border River (1954)
Wichita (1955)
The Maverick Queen (1956)
A Good Day For A Hanging (1959)

I'll try to get to all of them plus High Noon (1952).
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Guess I'll draw first.

Four Faces West (1948)
* * * - Okay
I don't know what makes Joel McCrea such an appealing Western hero. I usually gave more credit to frequent collaborator Jacques Tourneur for using McCrea in just the right way. He's overly moral and earnest for the West, what you thought James Stewart would be if Anthony Mann and John Ford weren't dragging him into his darkness. He plays an outlaw here, but it's hard not to see him as the hero when you compare his social interactions with those of the law.

Character actor Charles Bickford has one of his best roles as Pat Garrett. Pretty much the opposite of McCrea's character, he's so driven it wouldn't have been too hard to push the character into single-minded obsession, but Bickford wisely stops just short, creating a character with more going on behind the words. The best performance is by Joseph Calleia as Monte Marquez, who quickly learns what's going on and plays along for his own benefit without ever directly confronting McCrea.

The romance is lackluster romance, there's an annoying kid and a lengthy detour involving a poor Mexican family, but this has some fine Western basics for genre tenderfoots and enough original moments for leathered cow punchers.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »
When I read Joel McCrea, I inserted Gordon MacRae into the sentence for a moment. :) The perfect singing cowboy.

I believe, I've only seen McCrea in Sullivan's Travels, so can't help in the "what makes [him] such an appealing Western hero?" Did Mann ever direct him? You've got me curious.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
Joel McCrea starred in over 30 westerns, including 3 directed by Jacques Tourneur (Canyon Passage). Stars in My Crown is the most famous, but I believe Wichita is the best.

He never made a western with Anthony Mann.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:01:58 PM »
I haven't seen any of Tourneur's westerns. How do they stack up to his horror films, 1SO?

Sandy, I have a few westerns recorded from TCM, so this seems like a good time to watch them.

The Magnificent Seven (Although honestly I can never remember if I've seen The Wild Bunch or The Magnificent Seven. One of them I've seen. The one set in Mexico with the bunch of gunslingers.)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (I half-watched this a few years ago and will start back from the beginning with our furnace turned off so I can hear Altman's dialogue.)
Bad Day at Black Rock
3:10 to Yuma (1957)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »
I prefer his Westerns, which uses bold colors, to his shadowy Horror films. Canyon Passage is a favorite around here. Discovered by roujin it comes on like there's no story, but it encompasses every western staple in a more wilderness setting.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
I'll watch out for Canyon Passage. I do like a wilderness setting!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
tiny! :) So good to see you! How have you been doing? Are you in Canada or the US now? Canyon Passage is beautiful; the cool of the mountains are a nice change from the dust of, well, most every other Western. :) Looking forward to hearing about your movies.

Dave, Chardy and Knocked Out Loaded! So glad you're on board!

Joel McCrea starred in over 30 westerns, including 3 directed by Jacques Tourneur (Canyon Passage). Stars in My Crown is the most famous, but I believe Wichita is the best.

He never made a western with Anthony Mann.

Thanks and thanks for the links, 1SO. I remember the title, Stars in My Crown, but not the contents of the reviews.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:40:45 PM by Sandy »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »
RE-WATCH MARATHON

Destry Rides Again (1939)
"I collect Deputy Sheriff's guns. Whenever I meet a new deputy,
I ask him for his gun and I ask him real nice."

Really fun western-comedy teaming up Jimmy Stewart with Marlene Dietrich. In a lawless town, the corrupt Mayor gives the Sheriffs Badge to the town drunk, who immediately decides to stop drinking and brings in the son of a notorious lawman to be his Deputy. Only the son (Stewart) likes to use his brains, and doesn't carry a gun. Dietrich is the saloon showgirl who's in with the bad guys, and when she meets Stewart, sparks fly (along with a lot of breakables.)

The film is merely okay until Stewart arrives, and then it's great. There's a lot of humor from the way he plays all the angles and ruffles feathers. Along the way, he organizes a handful of great character actors who are genuinely funny, not just mugging for screen time. I really don't like Dietrich's low-toned singing voice, but she proves to be a capable comedian and her verbal spars with Stewart are really nicely played. Things get a little too dramatic at the climax, but overall this is a fun western for people who love screwball comedy.
RATING: ***1/2

Because my wife and I watch a lot of films from the 30s and 40s, we like to keep a running tally on how many familiar faces one movie contains. There are a handful of films that are like American Graffiti, where every face is a dependable one: You Can't Take it With You, The Thin Man, His Girl Friday, Larceny Inc. and this one. These are the ones where we find at least 10 favorites, and Destry has 9 in the opening 5 minutes, including Marlene Dietrich (#5). This is still the weak section of the film, but on re-watches it's great to see all the familiar characters establishing the town. Then James Stewart (#10) enters the film (with #11 Jack Carson) and the fun escalates quickly.

The whole cast is simply perfect.

This film works not only as a comedy, but as a brilliantly scripted Western.  It battles head on the idea that violence must be used to combat violence, and twists the idea of how those considered “lowlifes” or weak are the right ones to turn society upside down.   

I couldn’t help but smile and inwardly cheer throughout this film.  It is an instant favorite of mine, and a contender for my top 100. 
4.5/5

Destry Rides Again opened two months after Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and just two weeks before The Shop Around the Corner. That's a pretty amazing run for Stewart in a very short amount of time. Mr. Smith is more of an Oscar-worthy performance, but Destry best displays his leading man charm. Stewart respects the dialogue, while sometimes playing around with the delivery. He jumps on a person's joke like he knows it's coming, and uses the same technique with a harshening of his tone to diffuse a dangerous situation. If you're still new to Stewart, here is where you can see what sets him apart from the rest of Hollywood. If you're not, Destry has some of his best moments, like the casual way he breaks up a fight with a bucket of water, or both disarms and shames Dietrich's saloon girl with honesty.

"I'll bet you've got kind of a lovely face under all that paint.
Why don't you wipe it off someday and have a good look -
and figure out how you can live up to it."

Marlene Dietrich can be a point of contention with a modern audience. You've probably heard of her, but her thick accent and overconfident sexual presence can be jarring. I've been used to her for so long, I had to step back to see the problem. (When she's fighting, she's clearly kicking her legs in the air because she thinks hers are fantastic.) What I notice about her performance here is that she's very relaxed, and not afraid to look vulnerable. The moment in the screenshot is one of her best, which is preceded by her tripping on a table leg. (It doesn't look planned but perfectly demonstrates how off-balance Stewart has made her.) After her fight she proudly calls for a drink and then is embarrassed by what a hot mess she looks like, and when she bets a married man for his pants, I've never seen Dietrich so happy to be on camera.

Then there's the singing, which isn't helped by Madeline Khan's scorch in Blazing Saddles. "Little Joe" is a fun earworm song that repeats throughout the opening. She also performs "You've Got That Look" while we impatiently wait for Stewart's arrival. I'm used to the song, but it drags the film before things even begin. Her 3rd number "See What the Boys in the Back Room Will Have" is one of her best and comes late enough that it makes for a rousing break before the Western finale.

RATING: * * * *, In the greatest year of cinema, Destry doesn't get nearly enough mention. It's in my Top 5 for 1939.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
Dietrich and Stewart in the same movie...

:-*

I'll repeat what I've said already 1SO, we could use more of these long write-ups of yours.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love