love

Author Topic: Ex Machina  (Read 20205 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Ex Machina
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
That's interesting because all the robots are female and all the robots are attractive. So it implies attraction or the very very strange idea that humans will find non humans sexually attractive. Really? I mean that's not a throwaway notion. It's a film in itself. Yet until Ava (the one designed to pass as human?) all the robots are full clothed in skin. Just a bizarre choice. An aesthetic one I assume but here's the author breaking his own rules. Cos Ava needs skin to escape. That's contrived storytelling for me.

God made man in his own image kind of thing?  As far as being attractive, well, a man made them.  To what extent he feels a sexual attraction, I am not sure but I do believe they are implying that they is an attraction going on though I am not certain it is a strange idea.  There is certainly something going on with Kyoko and Nathan I believe
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
That's interesting because all the robots are female and all the robots are attractive. So it implies attraction or the very very strange idea that humans will find non humans sexually attractive. Really? I mean that's not a throwaway notion. It's a film in itself. Yet until Ava (the one designed to pass as human?) all the robots are full clothed in skin. Just a bizarre choice. An aesthetic one I assume but here's the author breaking his own rules. Cos Ava needs skin to escape. That's contrived storytelling for me.

God made man in his own image kind of thing?  As far as being attractive, well, a man made them.  To what extent he feels a sexual attraction, I am not sure but I do believe they are implying that they is an attraction going on though I am not certain it is a strange idea.  There is certainly something going on with Kyoko and Nathan I believe

This is interesting, because without a doubt, I think the very first thing most men would do if they created a completely lifelike robot is have sex with it. I mean, there are people out there having sex with incredibly un-lifelike dolls right now.

For me, one of the film's stumbling blocks was how it tried so hard to paint Nathan as this weird monster for having sex with these androids, when I just shrugged and thought, "Well, obviously."

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2016, 01:42:01 AM »
It occurred to me, from what you guys point out, is that it gives the robot who stabs him an MO. Yet that would be our perception, that he had sex with it in a non consensual sense of ....well
he didn't ask probably....but this would be a reflection of human mores.

Now if Ex Machina is a story where robots are made to act like humans; it loses much purpose. It is saying that it isn't a case of AI pretending to be human but mirroring human behaviour because it has been programmed to do so. A lot of evidence is there to support that conclusion, like the early statement that big data has been used to create the AI sentience. This seems to fit a lot of the "facts" of the film but it reduces the story to one consisting of humans and robots acting exactly like humans (or more accurately actors playing robots acting as humans). You hardly need the AI angle at all, except for a little juxtaposition....except the female robot avenging abuse in exactly the way a female human would says nothing new whilst purporting to say a lot.

My head hurts.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2016, 02:23:59 AM »
how it helps or hurts the story, I am unsure but Eva and Kyoto are probably not equals.  Eva is the best after many failed attempts.  Kyoto is something different.  She is free to walk around and attend to his needs.  Maybe she is an advanced sexbot/maid with some awareness but she can't be like Eva.  Or maybe she is more advanced and fooling even Nathan, it is hard to tell
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love