Author Topic: Group LGBT June Marathon  (Read 6249 times)

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Group LGBT June Marathon
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »

The Cult  (André Antônio, 2015)

My notes for this film say, simply, "Ehh." And nothing more. That's a shame because The Cult is well worth discussing; then again, the odds of anyone else here ever seeing it are slim to none, so my thoughts on it are no doubt just whispers into a bottle anyway. Antônio's film is wonderful in its conception. The year is 2040, and the earth has been largely depopulated, with most people leaving for space colonies. Our protagonist — if he has a name, I've forgotten it — passes the days like a pampered college kid on the laziest summer vacation, reading and listening to music and hooking up and taking aimless walks. It's ennui as privilege. Humans at this time have been immunized against the need for sleep, but those back on earth slowly fall back into those patterns, for better or worse. As a semi-dystopian, not-quite-apocalyptic vision, it's wonderful in its rhythms, its photography, and most especially its choice of locations. The dark corners of modern day Recife easily pass for the depopulated land of some sad future. The hints of a larger narrative or grander themes are a bit of a tease, however. There are times the filmmaking feels indebted to Visconti and Pasolini, or Kubrick or even Sofia Coppola, but in the end the director's greatest influence is Andy Warhol, and the result — despite being an engaging watch — feels like empty academics.

Grade: B-

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »

Being 17  (André Téchiné, 2016)

Directed by Téchiné (Wild Reeds), from a screenplay he co-wrote with Céline Sciamma (Water Lilies), Being 17 was pretty much destined to fall short of my expectations for it no matter what.

The film is very much a mixed bag. The mountain locations, covered in snow for much for the movie, are absolutely beautiful, and Téchiné's direction is sharp, but the two leads ultimately proved ciphers to me. The boys-pulling-pigtails attraction between them never feels genuine real. The character motivations and actions too often dictated by what the screenplay needs them to be, rather than the other way around. The schematic nature of things is emphasized by the way the story is evenly broken into thirds, with subtitles announcing each new trimester (referencing both the school year and a pregnancy). The family story is actually more affecting than the teen romance, maybe just because parents are more likeable than confused 17-year-olds. Points for making me teary-eyed, though.

Grade: B-

pixote

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »

Paris 05:59: Theo + Hugo  (Olivier Ducastel and Jacques Martineau, 2016)

Paris 05:59 is the film of the year so far, and I can only hope that it finds U.S. distribution. Dumb American mores will make that difficult, as this is truly adult filmmaking, where real sex genuinely serves the story being told. To wit, the film open with one of the best meet-cutes ever. It's 4:27am, and we follow a guy down into a gay sex club in the middle of Paris. It's darkly lit, but there are plenty of bodies writhing in club's red glow, and they're not hiding anything. As the film immerses us in this orgy, the guy we followed in develops with an infatuation with another of the club's patrons. But the object of his gaze is otherwise engaged, so he finds someone else to play with on the other side of the central table. His positioning is strategic; he's directly in the other guy's eyeline as their both leaning over the table, pounding into the strangers beneath them. Their eyes lock, and eventually they lean far enough in to kiss .... and that's how Vincent meets Theo.

Eighteen minutes later, after we've watched them passionately get intimate with each other in the middle of the club, they emerge to the street together, and the film stays in real time, following them together through the Parisian night. And the quiet city at night, bathed in the glow of streetlamps and traffic lights, is amazingly beautiful. Romance, it seems, can't help but bloom ... but it's not as simple as that. There's a darkness here, too.

The French title of this film is Théo et Hugo dans le même bateau, a callback to Celine and Julie Go Boating. There are really nice references to classic French cinema (I paricularly liked the emphasis on the first metro; that struck me as a brilliant inversion, but I might be reading too much into it). Those little details offer hints of how much Duscatel and Martineau have grown as directors since The Adventures of Felix. It has me a bit in awe. They've created something very special here, something engaging and dark and romantic and valuable.

Grade: B+

pixote

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »
I've added Closet Monster to my queue and will add Paris 05:59 to my watchlist of things not existing on Netflix.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
I've added Closet Monster to my queue and will add Paris 05:59 to my watchlist of things not existing on Netflix.

Paris 05:59: Théo & Hugo is available on Hulu now, if anybody cares to join my Filmspot cabal of one.

pixote