love

Author Topic: Group LGBT June Marathon  (Read 13848 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Group LGBT June Marathon
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
The world of musical theatre is thick with LGBT people.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
I guess I did get it, though I would respectfully discourage that kind of stereotype generalization. It's really not representative of most LGBT experiences.

Then again a lot of the "LGBT films" that are made aren't either. I'm hoping this marathon might bring to attention some interesting things that have been off my radar.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
Well, it is fairer to say most musicals involve LGBT people, not that most LGBT people are involved in musicals. I get that it isn't perfect (just because Asians are good at math is a positive stereotype, it is still problematic), but it is also the case that the world of musical theatre was an instrumental shelter for many LGBT youths growing up (the opposite of the bullying of sports), so acknowledging the linking is in some way speaking to the history.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
I'm totally fine acknowledging the relation, but the idea that a musical marathon is in any way a substitute for a LGBT marathon reinforces the idea that all LGBT people are a certain way or like certain things because they're LGBT.

Not to rag on 1SO's wife, I'm sure she meant nothing by it! But the lack of diverse portrayal of LGBT people has historically been harmful particularly for young people, so I'm a bit sensitive to the issue.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »
Musical LGBT films:

Rent
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Velvet Goldmine
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Big Gay Musical
Victor Victoria
Cabaret
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
Musical LGBT films:

Rent
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Velvet Goldmine
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Big Gay Musical
Victor Victoria
Cabaret

Add: Les Chansons d'Amour

I really think you should at least Google it Bondo.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »
You had me at Ludivine Sagnier. 8 femmes is a musical, introduced me to her.

Leave It On The Floor and Skallamann are both LGBT musicals as well.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Now I'm laughing.  Dang! Skallamann is so funny!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
Law of Desire (1987)

Watching this, I at times had to remind myself, this is Almodovar. Not that the film itself wasn't a constant reminder of that, but as the story drifted into the overwrought and expressive, rather than the coherent or believable, I still needed to remind myself to avoid turning on the film. I do think by the end it mostly covers itself as a bold, absurd statement about the irrationality of desire. At present I'm rather sympathetic to a "just one more night, damn the consequences" mentality. And though the film includes violence in pursuit, it mostly avoids bringing that violence directly into the romantic relationships, which would make it a much harder film to tolerate.

While the film saves itself from going full on Broken Embraces, it still falls well down the list of Almodovar works. Additional points of intrigue come from an astoundingly young looking Antonio Banderas. For someone who would become a pretty major star, this is a rather bold role...not his only such role for Almodovar. It's kind of a surprise that I consider his acting one of the weak points. There's something that feels a bit off about most of the performances here, except perhaps for the lead. Also curious to find that the actress playing the young girl here is Manuela Velasco, star of [REC].

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 08:55:04 AM »
as the story drifted into the overwrought and expressive

This is why I haven't watched Law of Desire. Interesting about Manuela Velasco, who I'm surprised isn't more of an International star.

love