Author Topic: Batman V. Superman  (Read 10130 times)

Totoro

Batman V. Superman
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
Haven't seen it, won't see it.

But this is a masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw&feature=youtu.be

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
Re: Batman V. Superman
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:48:30 AM »
Poor Ben. The guy never catches a break ever since Daredevil Gigli Jersey Girl Pearl Harbor.

You know what, someone fire his agent.

By the way, I love how that interview was played out in a way that Ben seemed to be somber while Henry seemed to be cheery. Bonus points if it's an intentional satire.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:50:23 AM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

wuatenigenu1

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:08:51 AM »
I don't get why anyone would have expected this to be good. It's the sequel to Man of Steel. It's written by David S. Goyer. It's directed by Zack Snyder. That's all there is to say about this film.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »
Well, the idea that these two were some of the most iconic pop culture icons... kinda blinded us a little bit. I remember being one of the more optimistic people in regards to this movie back then, even claiming that it might be, at the very least, more popular than Civil War since it's Batman and Superman fighting each other.

In my opinion, people in that particular camp are still going to be half-correct about that notion. This film is still going to earn lots of money despite its quality just because it's Batman and Superman in name, and a lot of people aren't gonna really care about the critics.

I for one am so not going to watch it at this point. I mean, prior to this I had thought that I'd just watch it for matinee price, but from all the scathing reviews coming out one after another, I think I'm gonna just f*** it. There's always the edgier R-rated version that I could rent in the future anyway.

Here's a funny thought - would anyone have trashed this movie as much if it wasn't a Batman/Superman film? Would they have merely dismissed it like Fast & Furious movie, like a Uwe Boll movie, like an Asylum production movie?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:50:18 AM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
The last three (and the first) Fast and Furious movies have gotten pretty solid reviews, and deservedly so. Probably because they're fun, which this movie does not seem to be, according to reviews and such. Anyways, it's causing a meltdown on reddit and that's enjoyable to me.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
Anyways, it's causing a meltdown on reddit and that's enjoyable to me.

And what a meltdown indeed. People get angry on the Internet all the time (myself especially), but boy, a Batman/Superman crossover movie failing to meet people's expectations. It's like Y2K or when the Mayans' 2012 apocalypse was popularized. Everyone starts panicking.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:46:45 AM by Hermit »

Totoro

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:34 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand Ben Affleck's career. He's always best when he's doing stuff like HOLLYWOODLAND or GONE GIRL. Those smug characters that are unhealthily unaware of their own growing egos. He should be making films with Noah Baumbach or another one with Richard Linklater. It's not like he's not talented. He's just not used well.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Those smug characters that are unhealthily unaware of their own growing egos.

This could be a really interesting Batman. I'm guessing it's not what's in this movie.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:29:30 PM »
What amazes me about much of the negative critical reaction to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is the notion that the script is appreciably dumber, and appreciably more weightless (narratively and visually), than any of the Avengers films (see, e.g., Vision, the pinnacle of comic book dumbness) - which ushered in this new formula for financial success in this genre: throw in as many superheroes as possible to fuel more action and compensate for the fact that none of the them are that interesting.  That said, on a personal subjective note, at 6-8 years old (the period when I was actually reading comic books), I was interested in Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman,* and I was wholly uninterested in Captain America, Hulk, or Thor.

(* In the interests of full disclosure, Linda Carter made me feel things that I should not have felt at that age.)
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

love