Author Topic: What are you playing? - 2016 Virtual Insanity Edition  (Read 36221 times)

Solid Blake

• Godfather
Re: What are you playing? - 2016 Virtual Insanity Edition
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
Also, holy shit, Naughty Dog looks to be taking some notes from Kojima:

http://youtu.be/d5nfXqffvyc

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
I just finished the first episode of Quantum Break, and wow... what an impressive looking game. I'm not sure how I feel about the silly live-action TV episodes, but I'm really enjoying just walking around with mouth agape and appreciating the art direction/tech in this one.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 10:37:39 PM »
Clash Royale is pretty fun. I imagine no one else is playing it? Brad and Dan got me hooked.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:30 AM »
Clash Royale is pretty fun. I imagine no one else is playing it? Brad and Dan got me hooked.

Nah, i haven't played a mobile game since... Swords & Sworcery I think? They're shallow experiences that only lead to anal fissures. I do, however, have Miitomo on my phone--but that's hardly a game.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:18 PM »
I think it's a pretty complete experience. It's quick, but strategic, and pretty fun. Frustrating at times, but all multiplayer games are.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »
I downloaded The Wolf Among Us due to it being free on "Games with Gold," and I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm actually enjoying this one. TellTale has yet to put out a game that I've enjoyed (Back To The Future and Jurassic Park sucked, and The Walking Dead was too bleak/dark, even for me), but this one has a wonderful art style and a fascinating, mature story that has me hooked. I'm a big detective fan, so that mechanic works well in the TellTale way of doing things.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 09:17:58 AM »
Aside from The Walking Dead (which I do feel is a bit contrived and emotionally manipulative) and The Wolf Among Us (which is fantastically designed, having more various outcomes than any Telltale Games so far), I didn't enjoy the other games as much, except maybe Tales From the Borderlands, which you might enjoy if you like the art style of Wolf Among Us. Tales From the Borderlands has a vibrant art style with a very witty but mature humor. Its various references to Mad Max (this was before "Fury Road" came out) made it so much fun.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
Tales From the Borderlands

Would I have had to play the original game? I'm not a loot shooter fan, so I've stayed away from the Borderlands universe, for that reason alone.

In other news: I finished Quantum Break on normal and man, what a blast. That Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb should just stay away from story-driven 3rd person shooters (he couldn't even finish The Last of Us, and that's one of the finest games ever crafted--in my opinion). This was a solid 4 out of 5 stars and might even improve on a second play-through (there are several branching story elements and a lot of in-game narrative to discover). The television episode stuff is lesser-Netflix quality, but it's an interesting concept and gives a nice book end to each play session. The shooting feels great and the abilities are a blast to experiment with. I'm already itching to dive back in on a harder difficulty setting (the game is pretty easy on normal, save the final battle) and tool around with other narrative choices. If you have an Xbone or a PC, I highly recommend checking this out--say just for witnessing the craft Remedy has in their world-building. Great game.

Also, should I buy Dirt Rally?

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:59 PM »
Would I have had to play the original game? I'm not a loot shooter fan, so I've stayed away from the Borderlands universe, for that reason alone.

Nope. Absolutely not. I hated the original game. It was a boring grinding game. Fun for FPS fans and dungeon-crawler fans (it's like Diablo, but with guns), but not for me. The story was the main focus here. Well, technically, the comedy and wit.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
Any CSGO players in the mix here? It just eats up all my game time for the most part, though SFV and Smite both have been vying for my attention on PS4 lately.

love