love

Author Topic: On Writing  (Read 33088 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: On Writing
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2016, 12:40:53 AM »
No, that's not the only direction you can go, and it might not be what you want to do, so don't do it. It should be noted that I wasn't specifically talking about reviews, which are a different thing than the kind of writing we do in English 1 and 2 (though evaluations are often types of papers we assign). In a review my thesis is often that a film is saying x by y methods and that it is z effective, generally speaking. It's fits into the arguable end of the spectrum nicely (your arguer could say that the film isn't saying what you think it is, or that it is better or worse than you think it is at saying it) and you can mix and match all sorts of things into those three variables and it starts to feel very loose as a kind of framework. Though I have advocated for an individual point of view here and in my class, that is not at the expense of a solid structural foundation. A long and rambling piece will be harder to follow and will lose some of its meaning by its very nature. I guess a short rambling thing would do the same, though not as badly. The formula helps keep me on track and ensures that I touch on everything I want to touch on.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:46:22 AM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2016, 12:52:38 AM »
In the previous 24 hours, I'd say my feelings on The Peanuts Movie have thawed slightly. While I was intentionally provocative in the nature and wording of my review, I was at least not intending to be disingenuous. Whether they are fair critiques of the film in a broader sense, they were the thoughts that hit me as I watched the film. I'd posit two things, if I had posted a more moderated review, it wouldn't have sparked the subsequent debate (that I think has been substantive to both the movie and considering what might be the proper way to watch or write about a movie). And if it didn't spark that response, I wouldn't have been forced to think harder about the film than the first blush reaction that was captured in my review. And that's why, while I still consider it a deeply unfulfilling film, I'd bump it up to a D, maybe be more inclined to write that moderated review that expresses the concerns but notes the potential bright spots.

One thing I'm not sure I'd do is try to get into the child's-eye perspective. To start playing the intended audience game is to move toward an objective-ish approach to review, one that I tend to reject as illusory to begin with. As such, I can only offer a review from my own perspective as a childless adult, and through my frame of reference as someone sensitive to portraits of gender relations. I think back to my rather atypical interpretation of The Illusionist, which made it a far less innocent film. My interpretation was absolutely wrong in consideration of authorial intent, but I'd argue it was plausible just based on the text. I think this gets to what Junior is talking about. Sometimes you risk being wrong in being different, but it is worth it because only through difference can assumptions or status quo be challenged.

Anyway, I do like the idea of studying people and learning how to use them as a gauge for recommendations even if you don't have the same tastes. Kermode works for me because he has that "Old Trot" lefty feminist approach. There are other places where I can predict I will break from him though. I'd put it a bit like talking about beer. I might drink an IPA and be like yuck, so hoppy. Well, someone who likes hoppy beers might see that as a recommendation, even though I was saying it was bad. My reaction has provided a function, even if an indirect one.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2016, 01:03:15 AM »
I started thinking about how that could relate to my writing here until I realised I do not technically have theses to defend.
Yes. Forum posts can be viewed as throwaway opinions. I might be writing a lot but I could see myself deleting it all. Certainly not placing a gold frame around my posts for people to admire. These posts are waypoints. Points I feel I have to pass through to get to where I need to get, which is just slightly a better understanding of a subject than where I started. So yes I could delete every post straight after writing it or I could write a piece then take a good look at it and then not post it at all. {I can fill the joke void I have created at this point by saying yes I know.....I could run a poll on that point see how people feel on that subject. I know I know}

I've already explained why that would be my entire purpose in writing. It's all What is called "chip paper" here. It was newspaper yesterday so very important but they used to take newspaper and give them to fish and chip shops (until the obvious danger of coating food in lead based printing inks became apparent). The opinion moves on leaving the old opinion redundant. Chip paper.

What do I gain? Well this week I've gained two brilliant 70s crime films, 63 pages of an astounding book and a half dozen great new tunes. I'd say I've gained a lot and that was the entire point. I can pick to my taste much better for actually knowing my taste in detail. Duvall, Westlake, 70s crime, Indy cinema treatment.....I'm all in on that.  How do I know that? About 6 years of saying jI bloody love all that stuff. Purpose. Purpose actualised. The writing is part of that process.

it is worth it because only through differences can assumptions and status quo be challenged
Good point beautifully put.

I think I saw you say recently bondo that writing less towards debate and more towards your individual view was becoming your aim. I'm paraphrasing. In this case it might be more difficult to be individual because of the remove between yourself and a kids movie. The debate was in the PC idea but the debate wasn't as interesting because it just two opposing extremes lobbing missives at each other. I see your intent but I respect the personal point of view being expressed here a lot more than the rhetoric that might aggravate someone into replying. I do however share anyone's feeling that being individual might lead to no reply at all. I think it comes with the territory though.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:22:51 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
One thing I'm not sure I'd do is try to get into the child's-eye perspective. To start playing the intended audience game is to move toward an objective-ish approach to review, one that I tend to reject as illusory to begin with. As such, I can only offer a review from my own perspective as a childless adult, and through my frame of reference as someone sensitive to portraits of gender relations. I think back to my rather atypical interpretation of The Illusionist, which made it a far less innocent film. My interpretation was absolutely wrong in consideration of authorial intent, but I'd argue it was plausible just based on the text. I think this gets to what Junior is talking about. Sometimes you risk being wrong in being different, but it is worth it because only through difference can assumptions or status quo be challenged.

Very much agree. Often, I would just like to say a children's movie is childish and move on.

I think this point has raised a pretty good insight on how reviews, when boil down to the essential meaning, are really just a review of our own feelings towards the movie, not so much a review of the supposed objective quality of the film. Leave it to the professional critics and enthusiasts alike to be informative. Some of the most objectively popular movies, say Terminator 2, would get old for me after a few years, and though the same can't be said for everyone else, I think giving a movie rewatch a 3/5 rating isn't exactly unfair. I've moved onto bigger and shinier things. If I don't get that chance to tell you about how superficial I can be, then how are you going to realize, "Of course, Hollywood is now catering towards kids like him." Me and my personal feelings are part of the statistic in the overall assessment of film. Even if my annoyance towards Ghostbusters 3's conspicuous sociopolitical move of subverting the gender of every single original cast member might be unjustified, hey, at least you know there's a dick like me out there who won't pay to watch the movie. You get a more proportionate perspective on how people - and I do mean everyone, not just people you like - would react to the movie.

Another good example of this is Roger Ebert's review on Silent Hill. In fact, any review of his involving video games, not just video game movies. I loved the Silent Hill adaptation, but obviously, he has a problem against "whiny fanboys" (his "Monster" review), which is fine. But that's his perspective. Doesn't have to do with me, and I certainly couldn't share his sentiment. I could maybe hope to learn from some of that resentment towards video games someday when I get as old as him, but in the end, he had as much right to criticize an underrated movie as I do towards an overrated one (or a popular one; words are fickle).
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:36 AM »
Yes. Plugging yourself into the review, not making the review about you. Individualising, not blowing your own trumpet.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »
Yes. Plugging yourself into the review, not making the review about you. Individualising, not blowing your own trumpet.

And what's wrong with blowing one's trumpet? People do it all the time on the Internet. Why should I be any different? If it pleases me with such narcissism, then I shall merely do whatever I want, as nauseating as the behavior might be. It's a free Internet.

You have no right to lecture me, especially if you're going to talk about what one should and shouldn't do on the Internet. You said that as if you have some kind of hold over my morality and actions.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:36:49 AM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2016, 01:39:00 AM »
Yes I have a set of strings attached to you that extend 10, 000 miles and when I yank them you jerk uncontrollably. I have that power.  ;D

And in case you aren't joking. We can be different from the internet can't we.

And if that answer is a little too serious then what I thought I was doing was summarising your thought in agreement. You'll notice I started by saying "yes" but perhaps I should have said "I so completely agree with you".

And if that's too serious then I refer to the top bit which was a joke.

Now have I covered all eventualities? I'm getting lost.

{Beware your young apprentice. He has great power. One day he may rise up to strike you down}
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:43:38 AM by verbALs »

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2016, 01:46:17 AM »
And if that answer is a little too serious then what I thought I was doing was summarising your thought in agreement. You'll notice I started by saying "yes" but perhaps I should have said "I so completely agree with you".

And if that's too serious then I refer to the top bit which was a joke.

Right.

It just seemed a bit odd for me at first that you would talk about blowing your own trumpet in your reply to me, which felt like you were insinuating something. Sorry if I misinterpreted. I defend my pride very closely, clearly enough.

Yes I have a set of strings attached to you that extend 10, 000 miles and when I yank them you jerk uncontrollably. I have that power.  ;D

{Beware your young apprentice. He has great power. One day he may rise up to strike you down}

Yeah, I think the whole striking might be a bit difficult with you yanking my chains. :P

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »

I would bloody hell hope so. That is sort of the point of this place.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2016, 01:48:13 AM »

I would bloody hell hope so. That is sort of the point of this place.

Well, the anonymity still causes problems in communication. Clearly enough it's not that different. Still has all its inconveniences and unfortunate circumstance.

love