Author Topic: On Writing  (Read 33089 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: On Writing
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2016, 01:49:20 AM »
No, that's not the only direction you can go, and it might not be what you want to do, so don't do it. It should be noted that I wasn't specifically talking about reviews, which are a different thing than the kind of writing we do in English 1 and 2 (though evaluations are often types of papers we assign). In a review my thesis is often that a film is saying x by y methods and that it is z effective, generally speaking. It's fits into the arguable end of the spectrum nicely (your arguer could say that the film isn't saying what you think it is, or that it is better or worse than you think it is at saying it) and you can mix and match all sorts of things into those three variables and it starts to feel very loose as a kind of framework. Though I have advocated for an individual point of view here and in my class, that is not at the expense of a solid structural foundation. A long and rambling piece will be harder to follow and will lose some of its meaning by its very nature. I guess a short rambling thing would do the same, though not as badly. The formula helps keep me on track and ensures that I touch on everything I want to touch on.

I like everything in this post. Especially the part that sounds like math. You're a weird English teacher. In a good way though.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:19 AM »
And in case you aren't joking. We can be different from the internet can't we.

I would bloody hell hope so. That is sort of the point of this place.

Well, the anonymity still causes problems in communication. Clearly enough it's not that different. Still has all its inconveniences and unfortunate circumstance.

Would knowing that verbALs is a 1,92 meters tall blonde athletic figure with an impeccable jaw line help you to discern the tone of his posts ?

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:07 AM »

Well, the anonymity still causes problems in communication. Clearly enough it's not that different. Still has all its inconveniences and unfortunate circumstance.

Would knowing that verbALs is a 1,92 meters tall blonde athletic figure with an impeccable jaw line help you to discern the tone of his posts ?

No, but never underestimate the power of facial expressions (and the body language). A friendly smile can chase your blues away.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:40 AM »
 ;D
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2016, 01:52:01 AM »

Yes but what a beautiful example. I don't make myself clear and that's what happens. Again and again. Over and over. One continual misunderstanding.

Firstly, it's cool. It isn't surprising. Its hard enough making myself understood to a woman I've lived with for ......at this point I don't even want to think about it, way past 30 years is close enough. So communicating by this inadequate means between here and Singapore isn't really hard to understand when it goes a little haywire.

But we do actually have the ability to go beyond that and its simple as well. Respect. Everybody takes off their muddy boots trudging through the shit of the internet when they come in here. Screw the internet. Its a mess.

Those that find their way along the rocky path to this sanctuary have proved themselves simply by making the journey. Respect is due.

4 ft 10 inches with a disfiguring hump and a glass eye.

You said that as if you have some kind of hold over my morality and actions.
Again because I think it's important to be clear. I don't think I say anything that isn't a personal opinion. I believe that there should a large slice of humility attached to one's opinion, but again that's just an opinion. I KNOW I say things with a very large degree of certainty and strength of feeling, because why would I talk like I lack confidence when I don't. That would be disingenuous of me.

I am sensitive to opinions being stated as if they were facts but I'm annoyed when those opinions are defended as if they were facts. "Hey its just my opinion" has been described as a cop-out but anyone who can't jettison an opinion, for the sake of respecting the conversational process, is revealing themselves as someone who has trouble separating a fact from an opinion attached to too much ego.

No not you Hermit> I'm talking about that horrible internet out there again. Don't let it in. everyone barricade the door.......two planks, TWO PLANKS (and that's about as much juice I'll get out of that film ever again)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:49:21 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2016, 01:57:09 AM »
I was counting your 2 feet afro.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2016, 02:00:17 AM »
Those that find their way along the rocky path to this sanctuary have proved themselves simply by making the journey. Respect is due.

You forget trust, which must be earned. :P Same with respect, but respect is a behavior that can be practiced in a mirror and falsified, so earning it is irrelevant. Trust comes from the heart and is a more sincere form of respect.

Respect should be due. It isn't due. A regimental respect for everyone can be learned by anyone with half a brain, but emotional knee-jerks can only be surpassed with trust. And trust is a tricky conjuration.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2016, 02:04:20 AM »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2016, 02:05:12 AM »

You forget trust, which must be earned. :P Same with respect, but respect is a behavior that can be practiced in a mirror and falsified, so earning it is irrelevant. Trust comes from the heart and is a more sincere form of respect.

Respect should be due. It isn't due. A regimental respect for everyone can be learned by anyone with half a brain, but emotional knee-jerks can only be surpassed with trust. And trust is a tricky conjuration.

Are you lecturing me now. I'm joking. (I'll write "J" after every joke).

Respect is due. I'm not naive. If someone abuses that respect then they can have that respect withdrawn but you can only expect respect if you give it first. Waiting for it is going to be a very long wait.

YES, I'm saying you have to hang your jaw out inviting punches, and if the silly sod is stupid enough to take a swing, then more fool him. I said before that sensitivity is a tough attribute not a soft one.

People deserve respect but its a more cynical process than that. Give it to get it. You have identified the emotional falsity in the process because you are a smart man. But this isn't a "something for nothing" world and you know that as well. You really have to let a guy take a swing at you, to know whether he will take the easy shot or be a real man.

Again, I will indicate this an opinion not a fact. But its an opinion weighed down with experience. Not of schools but of a working life, and what most people would call a tough working life. What most people say when you say you are in sales is "I wouldn't want to do that". (Secret is we sell constantly to each other. We certainly are in a process of negotiation here.)

You forget trust
Trust? Who can you trust? - Jack Nicholson as The Joker from Batman.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:51:53 AM by verbALs »

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:22 AM »
Are you lecturing me now. I'm joking. (I'll write "J" after every joke).

Or you could just stick your tongue out. :P

In example:

I am sensitive to opinions being stated as if they were facts but I'm annoyed when those opinions are defended as if they were facts. "Hey its just my opinion" has been described as a cop-out but anyone who can't jettison an opinion, for the sake of respecting the conversational process, is revealing themselves as someone who has trouble separating a fact from an opinion attached to too much ego.

What did you say?! >:(

J/k. :P A hermit doesn't strike in the same place twice. Or something to that context.

The thing about ego... it goes back to what I said about trust. There's an interesting difference between pride and ego. Having pride in your opinion enough that you would defend them with proper reasoning is different from, well, knee-jerking because you trust your ego over people, which can often be the case with me. I have little reason to trust strangers. I mean, you are god knows how many miles away from me, and isn't related to me by blood, so trusting people whom I've known for barely half a year when all I know about is arguing with others... well, that's just something I have to learn and get used to. Hence why I said that you would be tolerating me for the coming months when I made that long speech about staying here for good some weeks ago.

So yes, being attached to one's ego is bad, but it's not without reason. Understanding each other and our reasons for acting the way we did is the first step to a good relationship.