Author Topic: On Writing  (Read 33084 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: On Writing
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »
Saltine, I really hope you would pick up reviewing again.  I want to know your opinion.  We don't hear it, either on the podcast or on the forum, despite the hard work you put into both.  Please, as you feel stirred by a film, let us know.  I really want to hear.
I've always wondered why you don't post more reviews, saltine, and it makes me terribly sad that you've felt inadequate! Please, post some reviews! Like oldkid, I would love to know what you think. I value it.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
I'm going on a bit of hiatus from the forum, as I'll be traveling without my computer. 

I'll watch a movie when I return and let you know if I liked it and why.   ;D

Thanks for the concern, but no big deal.  It was a random comment (but true).
Texan Down Under

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
Yeah, I don't post many reviews for that same reason really. I write a lot in my job, but I'm a scientist, and scientific writing is a very specific type of writing, and I'm very good and well versed in the skill of scientific writing. For me, it doesn't necessarily come in handy when trying to write a well thought out film review. My reviews typically are "this is what I liked, this is what I didn't like and why", which has been deemed uninteresting or useless by some around here.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
Ses, your writing is great.  I always appreciate your point of view.  Anyone who says otherwise is crazy and wrong.

And saltine, I know you're busy.  But almost all of us are interested in hearing your perspective.

But dang, gals, we need more women writing, even a little! 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
I'll watch a movie when I return and let you know if I liked it and why.   ;D
Yay! :)

Yeah, I don't post many reviews for that same reason really. I write a lot in my job, but I'm a scientist, and scientific writing is a very specific type of writing, and I'm very good and well versed in the skill of scientific writing. For me, it doesn't necessarily come in handy when trying to write a well thought out film review. My reviews typically are "this is what I liked, this is what I didn't like and why", which has been deemed uninteresting or useless by some around here.
I always appreciate your reviews - to the point and clear! They are most definitely not uninteresting or useless. Please post more. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2016, 11:29:27 PM »
Noff I hear what you say I'm coming back to it. I thought the length of my reply might have lost your interest so I'm pleased at your investment in time in replying at all.

And I'll be back to respond again, time permitting. Lots of great writing/thinking prompts in this thread. I don't want to pass over anything. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2016, 12:07:39 AM »
I mostly appreciate saltine's review of Cosmopolis. ;D

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2016, 12:23:22 AM »
Noff I hear what you say I'm coming back to it. I thought the length of my reply might have lost your interest so I'm pleased at your investment in time in replying at all.

And I'll be back to respond again, time permitting. Lots of great writing/thinking prompts in this thread. I don't want to pass over anything. :)
I'm glad it makes you feel that way.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:15 AM »
It was a short comment at the end of a page, so it's easy to miss.  But it's important to note:

I quit reviewing films here when two posters of real ability stated that a film review is inadequate when one states whether or not one liked the film and why.  After that I was too intimidated to post another review because that was all I had to say about the films I watched.

In order to encourage good writing, the first thing we must do is encourage people to write.  To declare someone's writing as inadequate, or covering too little, or to degrade someone's opinion is, I believe, the opposite of what we should be doing on this forum.  Saltine, I am ashamed that you had this experience.  Not that I made that statement, but that no one defended you.

I believe it was Verite who posted pics of hands and eyes for Bresson's film, with no comment.  Some wanted to erase his responses, even though they were insightful.  They were without literary merit, but they were worth thinking about.   So we argued about it, some defending the right to express thoughts without words.

Why shouldn't we defend those whose reviews are simple?  Some give groups of one sentence reviews, and while there may not be much to respond to, we seem to have no problem with that.  Lobby was put off because sometimes no one would respond to her reviews.  I have felt the same thing.  But at this point, there have been many, many reviews I wanted to respond to and found that I had no energy to do it.  Digital dysfunction, caused by brain fatigue. 

I love the fact that verbals and others are constantly encouraging and even challenging us to write with more detail and better.  But that love ceases when I no longer have the ability to respond.  When I have given my all, and my all is deemed inadequate, that is not encouragement.  It might feel better to drop out of the race if one can no longer compete.

But the forums are not a competition.  We are not here to meet a minimum standard, nor are we to match what some might think is a "real" review.  I've seen some people make some silly statements here on the forum.  For instance, that a "real" review comments on cinematography.  This isn't film school, although I learn a lot about film here. 

In my opinion, we are here to appreciate each other and what we have to share.  If we don't appreciate it, we let it pass by.  Or if we are unable to express our appreciation adequately, we can lurk or give a one word response.  It's up to us.

I want to encourage verbals to continue to challenge me to be more specific, to answer his questions.  He and others have drawn out of me better opinions and better writing by their challenges.  But I think we should all be sensitive to the community and that not everyone is ready to be challenged, and no one should be graded on their writing, or on what they wish to write about.

Saltine, I really hope you would pick up reviewing again.  I want to know your opinion.  We don't hear it, either on the podcast or on the forum, despite the hard work you put into both.  Please, as you feel stirred by a film, let us know.  I really want to hear.

Hear hear.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2016, 01:42:08 AM »
which has been deemed uninteresting or useless by some around here.

This, in the very least, is brutishly ungentlemanly. Please don't anyone let that sort of wanton unpleasantness stop you from writing. Otherwise you're letting the terrorists win. ;)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love