Author Topic: On Writing  (Read 33087 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: On Writing
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
I feel those particular comments about not writing ones feelings can be put in a context that doesn't denigrate either other writers nor the quotes originator.

When I started came in here, it was at a point where I wanted; spurred especially by the podcast, to explore film as a sort of hobby. No idea about the writing at all, which was just a means to an end. At that point in 2010, lots of people here were reaching a point of understanding about film. A fully matured perspective. So I fully expected that some people would be less than enthused by another newbie dipping his toes in the water. Yet I talked as if I was learning so I got a great supportive response. Now a lot of people will compete the journey and move on. This seems natural. Some openly questioned this completion process and where it left their opinion compared with the learners. It felt superior sometimes and condescending but that's a failure in communication. I never was confused about where it came from. From a desire to move on and a frustration that one might feel the conversation isn't at that evolved level. We could use an intellectual conversation here like we could use all the other types.

The space has to be open for both types of film watching. Supporting others if you know a little more than a new user. No barrier to entry. I can see some of my natural challenging attitude has come off poorly but Id like to encourage by stimulating a conversation. If the encouraging tone gets lost then I will have failed but I can get up every morning and try to do better. Another point would be that any person can attempt to start their writing learning process in the same manner. In an atmosphere of encouragement. My perspective is any piece of writing is the step to a better piece next time and perhaps this thread is a good way of quarantining the discussion of that learning process from the discussion of the review itself. The admins have encouraged that separation with this thread. That separates out the conversation, avoids confusion and encourages the next piece.

I'm not counting. Aren't there more reviews happening anyway now? Anyway all
We need is more writing of reviews or anything. I like reviews as a formal way of starting a conversation. Two reviews on the same film that state positions from which any two people could gain a greater understanding of the movie.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:57:10 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #181 on: April 14, 2016, 03:53:29 AM »
Here's a statement. Passive aggression is nearly as bad as aggression, in writing or face to face.

Personally? Let's say it doesn't fit the bill of being encouraging.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2016, 03:55:30 AM »
I agree. That's why I do actual aggression.

BTW this a joke.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:42:54 AM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2016, 03:57:21 AM »
Ha ha! Well that's a definitive answer right there. You notice I did say that actual aggression is worse, but by a hair's breadth.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »
Hey, that's how Banner kept it under control.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2016, 04:02:06 AM »
Gamma ray induced rage is NOT a good justification to take out the door into the world. ;D

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #186 on: April 14, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »
Here's a statement. Passive aggression is nearly as bad as aggression, in writing or face to face.

Personally? Let's say it doesn't fit the bill of being encouraging.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

I don't understand why this needs to be a topic of discussion. No aggression, full stop.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »
I agree. But my reason is it isn't encouraging. It tends to shut conversation down.

You know what a seagull manager is? It's a boss who comes in, craps all over everyone and leaves. There's seagull posting also. Leaves a mess for others to tidy up. It goes hand in hand with passive aggression. If we are gonna talk about things that put people off fully engaging in discussion I feel like this is a subject worth exploring, but I respect your right not. {Anything can be a topic of discussion, why limit things; there's no disrespect implied in bringing it up}

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #188 on: April 14, 2016, 04:53:34 AM »
I just don't see who the dissenting voice is going to be. I mean, I could always play devil's advocate but this seems like stating the obvious.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #189 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:41 AM »
Are you really saying you don't know who does this? Anybody is capable of doing it. In a sense I'm raising the issue to make sure I don't do it, by writing it down. No need to play devil's advocate when you have already stated your position, which I agree with.

love