love

Author Topic: On Writing  (Read 33093 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: On Writing
« Reply #250 on: October 16, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »
It seems like a good time for restatement. One of my weaknesses is that once I get an idea in my head, I find it difficult to put it aside; so I worry and nag the thought to distraction. I'm probably not the only person to do that. I was given some excellent advice, that mulling over any issue too much can lead to taking it too seriously. Anxiety and irritation and annoyance and anger; like a little self-induced runaway train. It's better to revisit any idea; having given it some breathing space, from a fresh perspective. I've found this very useful.

If you write about any idea you own those words and you can get drawn into taking the words overly seriously; you fall into a defensive position. Being able to move away to a new subject; allows a way out from that type of position. So, the trifecta of book, film and music is especially valuable for me; being able to move between them without getting hung up on any one subject; however heartfelt the words written. I heard writing described in terms of a restful state where you are also focussed and concentrated. I find I arrive at this feeling through writing; which is a wonderful state of mind; unstressed, fully aware, thinking of new avenues. The medicinal effects, I think, also shouldn't be overlooked. I can tell quite easily that my memory isn't as sharp at 50; it's more amusing than worrying; the most obvious name escapes me. The mental gymnastics of writing; like a cranial massage. Very soothing. Yet also this feeling of sharpness and acuity. The jumble of images in the head settle down into the flow of words; black on white instead of fireworks of all colours pow powing inside. What a wonderful thing. A wonderful place to practice it the forum as well.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #251 on: October 16, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
Excellent.

I find that within a week after I write something, I can't rewrite it.  If I wait too long, I end up rewriting the whole thing.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2016, 04:57:16 AM »
I think the energy that emotion gives you to write is immediate and in the moment. I wouldn't trust myself to remember how a film made me feel; partly because the memory is then filtered and parsed through the intervening period. Also the opinion that forms in the immediacy of experiencing art, I think, is entirely different from the opinion that can form later; even how you feel about what you wrote initially will transform the opinion of hindsight. It actually might be an exercise to write a secondary review; the one that forms in the confluence between the memory of the experience and the immediate review. I think what's different about an immediate review; even stopping a film to capture the feeling; is that one writes under the influence of the energy of the experience.

I can say my view of Money Monster isn't as sharp as it was when I watched it yesterday. At times it was really funny but the wealth of themes kept getting in the way. I'm left with a memory  of an ambitious film with some great parts.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Sometimes an experience has to be processed before it can be written about clearly.  Sometimes an immediate review is me saying... uh... well... this happened.  My best writings often come after watching a movie for the second time, or after I've considered a framework for a review, another experience that I can compare this experience to.  Some films I don't even realize have had much of an impact until later.

All this to say, immediacy is great and works seven times out of ten, but it doesn't always bring the best writing.  Although it might for you.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
I wrote a paper last weekend but I knew it wasn't great. I gave it a rest for a few days and then the night before it was due I rewrote my thesis and several parts of paragraphs to back it up more strongly. I still don't know why my grade on that paper is yet, but I can guarantee it's better for having been written, waited on, and then rewritten.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
My best writings often come after watching a movie for the second time, or after I've considered a framework for a review, another experience that I can compare this experience to.  Some films I don't even realize have had much of an impact until later.
I definitely have the same experience; going into a movie for the second time, when contextualising the film, writing more deeply about the themes and how the director communicates his own ideas on those themes; communicating the enthusiasm that pre-exists; that's a very satisfying piece of writing. First time you watch it's "hey this is great!"; the second time it's "this is why it's great". Talk of Alien reminds me I wrote a review of it where all I did was talk about the soundscape; difficult to isolate something like that the first time you watch a film. THe soundscape of Alien is better than Aliens; picture and all.  ;D

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:07 AM »
So when I say writing it begs the question what "writing" means; that all forms of writing are not the same; academic writing or professional writing as opposed to amateur writing. Does professional writing only mean that a payment is made for the service? Does payment alone confer authority on the writing?

My point was about emotion communicated and its immediacy creating different results than memory remembered. My assumption is that it is emotion that is being communicated by writing about it; based upon another assumption that art communicates emotion. These are arguable but only to the degree it is true, not as to whether it is true or not; a counter argument of generalisation would be a fallacious tangent. Emotion has a principle position in art and the effectiveness of the art depends upon how well it is communicated. To understand how effectively emotion is addressed in a movie and then to write well in reporting that effective communication would be my definition of good amateur writing about art. It would be my definition of good professional writing about it too but that's because my personal opinion is that professional writing only means payment took place and I accept that's a subjective view.

So the point that an effective review would take place at the point of maximum emotional impact is very much central to my feelings on writing about art. Perspective will change the nature of the piece. I referred to it as a battery driving the review. Each film has a different battery and you get individual energy from each films battery. I'm not metaphoring here; I'm describing what it actually feels like to me.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:50:01 AM by verbALs »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »
Every time I see a film, I am a different person responding differently to it.  When I watch a film the second time, the experience of the first viewing and my thoughts about it inform my second viewing, and a good film will overcome all of that, bringing me to new experience altogether.

I like your metaphor of perspective being the battery.  Framing should draw interest to the piece, but the perspective should be the power behind it, the drive to write.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
Sorry I wrote emotion is the battery. I agree about perspective and it's importance but there's a difference between emotion and memory of an emotion.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
Ah.  Sorry.