love

Author Topic: Jane Eyre "You almost unearthly thing!"  (Read 11923 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Jane Eyre "You almost unearthly thing!"
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »
Addendum

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm curious about Pip's financial situation, seems like his is the most precarious position, but I'm unfamiliar with the tax laws and whether or not that counts as untaxed income?  The what-if would be could Magwitch claim Pip as an adopted son? Lol this is hilarious.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
 :D

Addendum indeed!

Had to investigate. The article title is, "Reader, I married him, but Osborne clobbered me for £600,000."

I'm afraid I can't open the rest of the article for Pip's info, without a subscription, but my belief is Jaggers has no paper trail for him, so Pip might be under the tax radar. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:12:36 PM by Sandy »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
They had a longer discussion of Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys on Radio 4 this morning. About how badly Mrs Rochester was by a dastardly Rochester and how easily Jane believes what she is told because she's prejudiced against foreigners! ;D Quite a spirited defence.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »
 :o

Have they never read the book?

Don't they have anything better to do with their time? I would think this was all in jest, but I have the feeling they are quite serious. Which is it, do you think?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:31:05 AM by Sandy »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
They are discussing Rhys' book taking Mrs Rochesters pov as an abused wife.

They were interested in how the second pov changes the original book.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:39:14 AM by verbALs »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
Yes, I remember the book. I was just wondering if they were seriously questioning Bronte's characters, or if they could see that Rhys had an axe to grind and chose to ignore aspects of Jane Eyre, one being she's an excellent judge of character throughout the book.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
Why would you think Rhys would have an axe to grind. I think that idea of another point of view is interesting and the discussion certainly was. Rochester himself isn't a very nice man is he? I think the prevailing argument is that Jane is seeing more of him, beyond the shell exterior but his actions don't speak well of him. That extends to pretending to marry someone else. It's a horrible trick. Acoupleof the contributors came to Jane Eyre after they read WSS. So they contrasted with the Jane firsters.

It was on Woman's Hour today. Maybe you can find it to listen to it.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
I just listened to it and it was akin to gouging my eyes out. ;) Here's the thing. Jane Eyre is a creation of a woman who built these characters and meticulously walked us through their story and explained very clearly who they are and why they do what they do. She loved these people and their strengths and weaknesses and so do I.

If Rhys wants to change the characters in very fundamental ways to fit her need to insert her own demons into the story, then so be it, but I'm not interested in her take, when she's not interested in Bronte's. These are Bronte's characters. Rhys should make her own.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
Yes she sounded like she had her own demons didn't she? I haven't read WSS so I can't really comment on whether she loves Jane Eyre or not. I think it's such a tremendous story personally I would be stunned myself if the point of the exercise was to tear it down.

You know I have serious problems with that entire plot line. Instead of just not including it all and feeling like it wouldn't leave an appreciable hole; this feels like an attempt to fill a hole. Because it's unusual in a book of such character depth to leave one person so much a demon. So in terms of demonising Bronte does that herself with Mrs Rochester.

love