0 (0%)
In the Earth
0 (0%)
Meg 2: The Trench
0 (0%)
Freak Shift
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Wheatley, Ben  (Read 3793 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Wheatley, Ben
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »
I don't know if you've seen A Field in England, but Wheatley's capabilities were already headed toward material like this. I do miss the genre-bending filmmaker and would hope for another Kill List, but I think he's evolved past that already. He's fast-tracking Cronenberg's career.

I liked all of the imagery and metaphor you bring up in your 2nd paragraph. In general, I liked the film in small doses. It was when it came time to put those beautiful pieces into one jigsaw puzzle that I didn't understand the big picture beyond tired themes of classism.

where Bunuel's guests can't move from the confines of the dining room, Ballard's houseguests have the room and resources to breakdown society completely and begin again.

That's a good describer. I love how you connect this to Bunuel.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 12:19:48 AM »
This seems like a fairly unique "story" so I don't know if this indicates a surrealist direction so much as a fearless attitude to what he is prepared to take on, and I was most happy with High Rise in that regard. I think Sightseers has a similar feeling of events whirling out of control and when you put it that way then Kill List definitely has the same feeling. Like a thin veneer of polite society quickly peels away and there's a savage aspect to people waiting to spring out. It might be an English thing of holding on too tight and when people let themselves go they go all the way and there's a dangerous aspect to the hedonism. Hogarthian (he being a favoured son of my home "village") in the way Greenaway filmed in the Cook the Thief....

The three Ballard stories that I know from films now could be looked at for connective material similarly; Empire of the Sun, Crash and this but again in a way of a very lose aesthetic quality. The experience of a Ballard story.

But having slept on it, I went very hard at what you wrote. As I said it was that point you made about it personally letting you down. I get that this came from your hopes for Wheatley and that High Rise feels like an indulgent road bump along the way to something greater....a second Kill List level movie. The comment pushed a button in me but I'd hope for a considered reaction like the one you gave my challenge.{I was sitting in a park enjoying the sun so the tone of the conversation was a long way from how I was feeling personally ;D} You mentioned someone who doesn't write here much and I'd hope we'd all look after each other since we are the ones actually contributing and keeping the heartbeat of this place pumping. You 1SO possibly more than anyone else. So good work. 

As a starter for Wheatley it has to be Kill List. I'm amazed it isn't more beloved that anyone had a bad reaction to it. It defines what he is capable of. It's a stunning movie.

PS I felt those moments when Tom Hiddlestone and Elizabeth Moss were acting opposite each other we're bringing two special talents together. It was jaw dropping to watch even if very little incendiary happened between them. I'm not selling that as enough  to watch the movie but it had a wow quality to it. I hope it happens again in something bigger. They seem like they could do something special in a way you rarely see. Gush.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:41:00 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 12:55:15 AM »
To jump on 1SO' s review: so High Rise should not be my first Wheatley film?
Absolutely not.  You should start with Kill List or Sightseers. Sightseers is less challenging, though in the end you may not get why Wheatley landed on people's radar. Kill List is the best intro because you can go into it ice cold - and that's the highly recommended way to do it - you'll immediately grasp the filmmaking chops, and by the end he will have spun your head around a couple of times too.

Thanks for the advice.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 03:36:45 AM »
Hi Jarvik, you may be interested to direct your enthusiasm for Wheatley towards this thread. You'll find like minded people there.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 04:35:30 AM »
1. Kill List
2. Sightseers
3. High Rise
4. Down Terrace

Wasn't A Field In England more an art installation that worked on the day more than a film? I missed the point of it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
It might be an English thing of holding on too tight and when people let themselves go they go all the way and there's a dangerous aspect to the hedonism. Hogarthian (he being a favoured son of my home "village") in the way Greenaway filmed in the Cook the Thief....
Wasn't Cook/Thief Greenaway's response to Thatcherism, and doesn't High-Rise begin and end with people listening to a speech by Thatcher? I figured that's why the film is set in the 70s.

But having slept on it, I went very hard at what you wrote. As I said it was that point you made about it personally letting you down. I get that this came from your hopes for Wheatley and that High Rise feels like an indulgent road bump along the way to something greater....a second Kill List level movie. The comment pushed a button in me but I'd hope for a considered reaction like the one you gave my challenge.
The more I know you, the better I am at handling challenges you toss my way. I know you're more interested in the process of writing, why does someone say what they say. If I self-analyzed my process it would turn my hair white. I just like talking about movies.

Like I said, I would love for Wheatley to make more Kill List type films, but I doubt that he will. He's progressing into a director I enjoy less, but I still admire his talent.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
The Ben Wheatley topic that was under the Show Discussion tab has been merged with this topic.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
To jump on 1SO' s review: so High Rise should not be my first Wheatley film?

I would suggest Sightseers as not a good starting point too.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »
He did two pretty solid episodes of Doctor Who somewhat recently which prove that he can still do the standard story stuff when he isn't off experimenting. Like 1SO, I really like his early stuff, and I hope that he returns to that at some point. I'm still super excited about High Rise, though.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 06:31:16 PM »
I've only seen A Field in England and couldn't finish it.

love