love

Poll

Which club/activity are you interested in participating in regularly?

Movie Dictator Club
8 (12.5%)
Movie of the Week
8 (12.5%)
80s Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Far East Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Retrospots
15 (23.4%)
Greatest Living Actor
5 (7.8%)
Greatest Living Director
6 (9.4%)
Ranking Project
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Revival Poll  (Read 12006 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Revival Poll
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:26:24 PM »
DarkeningHumor has brought up a good point.  Perhaps it is time to revive one or more threads that have fallen into disuse.  Let's use this thread as a place to discuss what we might be interested in.  I think we might have enough folks to

Movie Dictator Club: People choose if they would like to participate the next month, a theme is determined via poll, people are paired, everyone is given a movie to watch that month and they write a review.  This has mostly been replaced by the Top 100 Club, but it could be revived.

Movie of the Week: Every week or three a movie is chosen by poll, everyone in the club watches the given movie and we all review it.

80s Bracket: Every person chooses a pair of films from pixote's list and they give two reviews and a winner of each match.

Far East 90s Bracket: Same as above, but different group of films.

There has been discussion about beginning a new bracket (70s?), but it requires a lot of effort to finish a whole bracket.  And someone other than pixote would have to head it up, I think.

List of Shame died down, but it has revived a bit.  We list the films we should have seen, but have not, and the person who watched their last shame chooses the shame for the latest list for them to watch and review.  I didn't put this on the poll, because it seems to have been resurrected on its own.

Anything else someone want to revive?  Any other recommendations that I should put on the poll above?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Revival Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
I voted for the non bracket threads. They are a bit niche and right now I want to keep a more general focus and concentrate on Essentials.

For all those not actively participating in the Shame club, you are missing out. Teproc regularly brings French pastries and verbALs has promised to leave the Marmite at home. Also, good writing about mostly good movies (don't listen to what 1SO said about Ernest and Celestine).
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 10:34:35 PM »
Oh, and thanks for the help on the thread CPR oldkid.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
I love the brackets, I'm perpetually planning to get back into them. I'd love to see the Retrospots come back too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:43:55 PM by mañana »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
I would have jumped back into the Shame threads already, but I can't seem to make myself watch Walkabout, my last shame dictation.  I should just bite the bullet, because I bet all the rest of my previous shame list I've watched.  It's been years.

I'm in the same place with the 80's bracket, because I owe reviews of Roger Rabbit and Rainman, and I can't seem to push myself to watch Rainman again.  So, yes, WFRR wins... I'm really pretty sure.

I'd love to see the Movie Dictator Club get revived.  It was so much fun.

I love the brackets, I'm perpetually planing to get back into them. I'd love to see the Retrospots come back too.

Ah, Retrospots!  I only participated in the 57, but it was a blast!  Putting that in the poll.  I didn't do the other ones because there was so many threads to participate in, and I couldn't do more than one Retrospot a year.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:21 PM »
I voted for the brackets and retrospots. MDC as you said has been pretty well replaced with Top 100 Club & List of Shame. Did the 80s bracket finish? I'm stuck as far as the Far East bracket goes. Can't make a match happen. But I still feel invested in it. I like the niche group efforts because they've led to a lot of discoveries. Canon-related projects usually cover films that I already know about and haven't gotten around to.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »
Retrospots!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
Retrospots are a nice idea but I again worry about getting to know one single year well while neglecting better movies from other years. Do I really want to watch 30 movies from any given year ? There aren't 30 2015 movies that I consider marathon-worthy.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
You've got your whole life ahead of you to get to better movies from other years. They'll still be there.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 12:01:17 AM »
I agree that the 90s FE bracket kind of got screwed because of lack of accessibility. We are so close to the finish line on the 80s Bracket that I feel like we could finish it up if we made a push.

80s US bracket is the only one I voted on (though I'd be up for starting a new bracket, especially upon completion). But generally I'm a lot busier than I was back in the busy era for all the group activities so it would be hard for me to get involved in much else.

I dropped out of the MDC and List of Shame because I've found that singular dictations are a struggle. The Top 100 Club allows me to pick and choose my spots, minimizing the chance of me having a strongly negative reaction to someone's beloved film (or at least reserving it unless I have something that might produce a good discussion).

love