Poll

Which club/activity are you interested in participating in regularly?

Movie Dictator Club
8 (12.5%)
Movie of the Week
8 (12.5%)
80s Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Far East Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Retrospots
15 (23.4%)
Greatest Living Actor
5 (7.8%)
Greatest Living Director
6 (9.4%)
Ranking Project
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Revival Poll  (Read 12008 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Revival Poll
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 12:03:37 AM »
Did the 80s bracket finish?
Nope, down to the final 32. Or something like that, skjerva's system never made a lot of sense to me.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 12:12:09 AM »
Movie Dictator Club:
Great in theory, but too often you dictate to a person and they disappear or simply don't watch your dictation (or put it off for months at the least.) I used to keep a list of outstanding dictations, but it never did any good. There was no punishment for non-compliance with the Club. That's why I prefer Top 100 Club. You drop out, you drop down (and/or out).

Movie of the Week:
Another great idea, but people always have their own lists of films that they're working on, plus Top 100, List of Shame, Monthly Marathons. It became one film too many to get enough people to participate.

Brackets:
I wonder if the problem was that the original lists were too long. These were long-term projects, perhaps too long for occasional participation.

Retrospots:
I voted for this. Loved the Retrospots, though you have to have Awards at the end. This became a victim of life, but without Awards at the end, the exercise is kind of empty.

Retrospots are a nice idea but I again worry about getting to know one single year well while neglecting better movies from other years. Do I really want to watch 30 movies from any given year ?
Short answer: YES! You'd be surprised how much fun it is to skim the cream off a past year's crop, or dig through the sand for treasure. I think it was Martin who discovered 1974's Un homme qui dort, and a lot of us followed in enjoying its pleasures.

Anything else someone want to revive?  Any other recommendations that I should put on the poll above?
I liked the Greatest Living Actor and Director Relay Races, but there needs to be a clock on people who hold things up for too long.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 12:24:07 AM »
I think Bitter Victory came out of the '57 Retrospot. The real star turn of that year was Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? for me.  & ' 74Un homme qui dort....what a great film!

I should think in any year "moving beyond the canon" there will always be some buried treasure. The value of holding attention on one year is that eventually the gold appears in the sifting process. The conversation is the sifting process. That's why this particular activity interests me. It fits with the nature of film, when every week turns over to new films. Something gets lost in the wash.

The total lack of agreement on a year to choose each time seems to be the biggest problem. Total lack as in no agreement at all, iirc.  ;D

So I'll decide now...1962. Let's go! See isn't that easier. I forgot Sandy is our benevolent dictator, so its her choice. ;D

I'm joking but I'm not sure the year really matters as much as the conversation any one year would generate. Hang on, didn't 1987 rise to the top?

Where are the old retrospot threads anyway?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:28:41 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
yep, the year choosing is what lost me on the Retro Filmspots. 1962 is good by me  :)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 12:28:49 AM »
1999 was already selected. There are FYC threads and everything.

http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?board=32.0
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »
Ta

57 actors winners wow!

Tony Curtis, Sweet Smell of Success — 31.6%
Alec Guinness, The Bridge on the River Kwai — 27.5%
Henry Fonda, 12 Angry Men — 16.7%
Kirk Douglas, Paths of Glory — 12.5%
Victor Sjostrom, Wild Strawberries — 11.7%

Big win for Curtis.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 12:36:46 AM »
I found the 74 reviews thread

2012 isn't even that long ago.

Lots of reviews with pictures! Oh and words. ;D

Got all day at work to look through that agin. That Martin bloke wrote a lot of reviews didn't he? ;D

1957 reviews thread
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:44:03 AM by verbALs »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 01:02:25 AM »

Anything else someone want to revive?  Any other recommendations that I should put on the poll above?
I liked the Greatest Living Actor and Director Relay Races, but there needs to be a clock on people who hold things up for too long.

Okay, they are added in.  Should I add a new bracket (70s)?  Should I add a specific year to retrospots (1999)?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »

Okay, they are added in. 

Cool, I like those.

The lack of punitive mechanisms for tardy participants seems to be a common theme around these threads. Maybe that should be an amelioration to make if we do revive one of them.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 01:44:22 AM »
I dropped out of the MDC and List of Shame because I've found that singular dictations are a struggle. The Top 100 Club allows me to pick and choose my spots, minimizing the chance of me having a strongly negative reaction to someone's beloved film (or at least reserving it unless I have something that might produce a good discussion).

But you're the one who creates your own Shame List. You're basically choosing what you'll watch, just not the order of priority. And you can change that by deciding to watch a movie without a dictation.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/