love

Poll

Which club/activity are you interested in participating in regularly?

Movie Dictator Club
8 (12.5%)
Movie of the Week
8 (12.5%)
80s Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Far East Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Retrospots
15 (23.4%)
Greatest Living Actor
5 (7.8%)
Greatest Living Director
6 (9.4%)
Ranking Project
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Revival Poll  (Read 12012 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Revival Poll
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 01:45:09 AM »
Can an admin add the remove vote possibility ? I want to change it since options have been added.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:55 AM »
Voted Movie of the Week and, tentatively, Retrospots. Realistically Retrospots are a bit intimidating to me : moving past the canon would mean already being familiar with it. At the same time, the idea is very appealing... so maybe. I just fear I would end up voting for the obvious stuff since I'd have to start with that before getting to the hidden gems.

Movie of the Week seems like a group endeavor I'd have an easier time participating in that those group marathons, what with their extremely wide possibilities.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 02:23:36 AM »
Retro spots is as much about the discussion around films you have seen; getting behind a favourite from the year that might call attention to it for others. The concentration gives a little focus but a year of films is so vast still.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 03:59:55 AM »
It's a shame about the Movie Dictator Club. Having to watch movies revolving round a theme we voted sounds interesting, but as Bondo said, being forced to watch a film is not. If this is ever revived, maybe we could change it so that we would all still be paired (I would love to be paired with somebody; those smirnoff and Sandy paired reviews look fun!), and we would all pick our movies based on a single theme per month.

I voted for Movie of the Week and '80s Bracket instead. It does sound like a cool idea to watch the same film with everyone else in the forum. My similar experience from reviewing Victoria only emphasizes this feeling. And as for the '80s, it's probably the period where most of my favorite films come from, all the over-the-top action flick the likes of Schwarzenegger and Cameron. I would love to participate in a bracket around this period.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 04:06:09 AM »
I don't think that's how the pairings work ? It seemed to me it was more of a « A dictates a movie to B, B dictates to C, C dictates to D, D dictates to A. » situation.

If the dictations are personalised I think we can get around the having to watch a movie you are not likely to watch problem. Group dictations sound harder because of that and the fact that some people will inevitably have watched the movie already. Which is why I recommend the Shame List club.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 04:10:41 AM »
f the dictations are personalised I think we can get around the having to watch a movie you are not likely to watch problem. Group dictations sound harder because of that and the fact that some people will inevitably have watched the movie already. Which is why I recommend the Shame List club.

Hm, yeah, List of Shame does sound like a better variation of Dictator Club now that you've put it that way.

I still think we should have a thread featuring monthly group marathons based around a theme in the future. oldkid's musical marathon, for example, is a cool idea to get us all watching similar movies together.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:33:48 AM »
Can an admin add the remove vote possibility ? I want to change it since options have been added.

I assume you want to unlock voting by what you asked, so I did that.  If you want something else, contact ses or Junior directly.  Thanks
Texan Down Under

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »
Thanks saltine, you understood my meaning.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
Short answer: YES! You'd be surprised how much fun it is to skim the cream off a past year's crop, or dig through the sand for treasure. I think it was Martin who discovered 1974's Un homme qui dort, and a lot of us followed in enjoying its pleasures.

And yet I couldn't get anyone to follow me to Cocorico Monsieur Poulet!, despite an enthusiastic review and lots of pictures.

I'd be cool with picking it up with 1999 again. I still fear the voting will be dominated by Matrix/Fight Club/Toy Story 2/Magnolia, but the discoveries are the really fun part anyway. My watchlist is a lot shorter than it used to be, but there's a couple of 1999 titles left on it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »
I expect Magnolia domination but Matrix and Fight Club may not hold up to the generation that came after.

I also think I might want to do a Chapter-by-Chapter analysis on Magnolia to best make my case on the film's problems that I cannot ignore.

love