love

Poll

Which club/activity are you interested in participating in regularly?

Movie Dictator Club
8 (12.5%)
Movie of the Week
8 (12.5%)
80s Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Far East Bracket
8 (12.5%)
Retrospots
15 (23.4%)
Greatest Living Actor
5 (7.8%)
Greatest Living Director
6 (9.4%)
Ranking Project
6 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Revival Poll  (Read 12007 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Revival Poll
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2016, 11:00:15 AM »
So 1999 ballots could be submitted by Aug 1, after 2 months of exploration. Then another month to look through the nominees and submit final ballots in early September.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:06:48 AM by 1SO »

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
That sounds great.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
Is discovery the nominations period ? The taxonomy has me confused. How do Top 100 ballots work/what are they ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2016, 08:43:13 PM »
"Discovery" would be the time to explore new films, especially those recommended by others, or nominated on a ballot.

A Filmspotter Top 100 is determined by people submitting their top movie lists, which would be their ballot.  The rules for this year have yet to be determined.

So who is willing to provide leadership for the 1999 filmspots, and who is willing to help out with the Top 100 this year?  I'm willing to do promotion.  But I'm clueless about tallying.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Summer (insofar as that is a thing which actually exists) is typically a point of low movie watching and forum participation for me. I cannot guarantee strong participation, let alone organisation.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
Well, I had said earlier that I'd tally the Top 100 if it could be wrapped by the time I start back at school (end of August)...but that doesn't sound like the plan.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:14 PM »
I can probably do the top 100 tallying if Bondo can't.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2016, 11:23:04 PM »
Movie of the Week could perhaps find more success if the movie selection process were less rigidly scheduled and worked more like an online video game lobby... where people join but the match doesn't start until the lobby is full. So like, I'd put a post up saying "Speed - tuesday night - 1 of 4 joined (smirnoff, -, -, -)", and then maybe 1SO looks in the thread and sees that post and thinks "yea, I haven't seen Speed in a while and my tuesday night is free, I'll get in on that", and so he'd post Speed - tuesday night - 2 of 4 joined (smirnoff, 1SO, -, -) , and then hopefully by tuesday there's at least 4 people committed to watching Speed, and if not no biggy, it just lapses until someone starts a new lobby with a new time, or the lobby agrees to just go ahead with as many people as they have.

Anyone could propose any film. There could be 20, 30, 100 different "lobbies" out there.
Little Women - tonight! - 1 of 2 joined (smirnoff, - )
LOTR EE trilogy - Sept 1st, 2nd, 3rd - 1 of 3 joined (smirnoff, -, -,)

Maybe one of these takes off, maybe it doesn't. People could propose whatever they want. The beauty is the "project" as a whole doesn't lose momentum just because one film, one week doesn't get much participation. It's about creating a matchmaking system.

And people could have fun with their proposals, stoke some enthusiasm, give people a reason to join in. :)

Magnificent 7 - July 7th - 1 of 7 joined (smirnoff (Charles Bronson), -, -, -, -, -, -,)
All discussion from the viewpoint of their respective characters.

Who knows, something silly like that. :)

It takes away movie availability issues, commitment issues, and many other things that have tripped up these sorts of "movie of the week" projects in the past.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:28:14 PM by smirnoff »

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »
Love it. The flexibility is perfect for me, as well.
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2016, 11:45:45 PM »
A person could always designate their post "rain or shine" meaning "I'm watching this at this time no matter how many people join", which maybe is good for those movies you're about to watch on netflix in like 2 hours and you're just putting it out there to see if anyone wants to do the same.