Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War  (Read 6892 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Captain America: Civil War
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
But cap never agreed to a UN decision. So what's cheapened?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 09:50:54 AM »
But cap never agreed to a UN decision. So what's cheapened?

His character. His sensibility. The theme of "people dying because of Avengers" that never got concluded. I could go on and on.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »
And the solution involved un sanction and prison for disobeying. Cap opposed it and didn't waver. He wants a solution not that solution. Agreeing to a crappy solution isn't resolving the problem. From his PoV it wouldn't. In fact Iron Man goes seeking his own solution   No u.n. So who seems right?

And these films will go on and on accordingly. Like a lot of these films the theme can developed not be resolved in one movie. It's not a reset model like Bond so it can snowball.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:11:37 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
And the solution involved un sanction and prison for disobeying. Cap opposed it and didn't waver. He wants a solution not that solution. Agreeing to a crappy solution isn't resolving the problem. From his PoV it wouldn't. In fact Iron Man goes seeking his own solution   No u.n. So who seems right?

My problem wasn't that he didn't agree to a solution, my problem was that the original solution of the UN sanction got scrapped, and Cap never bothered coming up with a new one to say "This is the proper way we're going to handle civilian casualties from now on." I didn't like that he seemed uncaring about the collateral damage of the civil war he started in the first place.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
And these films will go on and on accordingly. Like a lot of these films the theme can developed not be resolved in one movie. It's not a reset model like Bond so it can snowball.

This is one of my main problems with movies like these, "Come back next time to get proper closure for this movie. Oh wait, we can't - next time the movie should be focused on The Infinity War, so any heavy focus on the Civil War would seem... oh what's the word - ah yes, "Inconsistent"."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:16:11 AM by Hermit »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »
Life?

Insurmountable problems not solved with bigger weapons. Bit more grown up while the shiny suits hit each other shinily for the chipmunks.

There's an attitude to vengeance near the end that reminded me of Cape Fears end.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:25:11 AM by verbALs »

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »
Life?

You're mistaking realism with bad writing.

There's an attitude to vengeance near the end that reminded me of Cape Fears end.

An indifferent attitude, probably.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 10:35:26 AM »
Let's leave it there then.  ;D

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 03:10:01 AM »
Cap: You got heart kid. Where ya from?
Spidey: Queens
Cap:......Brooklyn ;D

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »
Cap: You got heart kid. Where ya from?
Spidey: Queens
Cap:......Brooklyn ;D

Yeah, I liked that part.

I also liked what they did with Cap's "plant yourself like a tree" line from the comics by having Sharon said it instead. I nearly shed a tear. :'(