Author Topic: Vaguely Portuguese Movies  (Read 4387 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Vaguely Portuguese Movies
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »
I realised that I have some knowledge of movies from all of Western Europe, including Greece, but not Portugal. Like, at all. I cannot guarantee I will get to any one shortly, but I wanted to get the thinking heads of the forum on this case. What Portuguese movies are worth checking out ? At this point, I am looking at purely Portuguese movies as well as foreign movies that take place in Portugal or that feature Portugal and the Portuguese in any way.

This was spurred by seeing Mysteries of Lisbon on a list of Martin's yesterday in the Indiewire's Top 50 thread (I think). So thanks Martin, yours is the first (unwilling) contribution to this thread.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Vaguely Portuguese Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
Well, surprise! Miguel Gomes is Portuguese, so his films, including TABU, could also be considered for your collection of Portuguese films. Not sure whether you'd want to include Brazilian films, since Portuguese is the language of Brazil, in which case CITY OF GOD is the first choice.

OUR BELOVED MONTH OF AUGUST and ARABIAN NIGHTS are the other Miguel Gomes' films I know off the top of my head.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
You could look into Pedro Costa. In Vanda's Room is my favorite. He might be a little slow for your tastes, though.

Another big Portugeuse director is Manoel de Oliveira. I've only seen Abraham's Valley and really did not like it.

IMDb tells me that Time Regained (Chiléan director Raul Ruiz, same as Mysteries of Lisbon) and A Casa (Lithuanian director Sharunas Bartas) are partially Portugeuse productions, but they're both in French and I don't recall any settings in Portugal.

My favorite Brazilian movies:

Central Station
Ilha Das Flores
Limite
City of God
Black Orpheus
Pixote
Vidas Secas
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:06:09 AM by MartinTeller »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:46:14 PM »
Well, surprise! Miguel Gomes is Portuguese, so his films, including TABU, could also be considered for your collection of Portuguese films. Not sure whether you'd want to include Brazilian films, since Portuguese is the language of Brazil, in which case CITY OF GOD is the first choice.

OUR BELOVED MONTH OF AUGUST and ARABIAN NIGHTS are the other Miguel Gomes' films I know off the top of my head.

I tried to look for Tabu but it seems very hard to get. City has been on my watchlist for some time, although I am not looking at Brasilian Portuguese movies here.

You could look into Pedro Costa. In Vanda's Room is my favorite. He might be a little slow for your tastes, though.

Another big Portugeuse director is Manoel de Oliveira. I've only seen Abraham's Valley and really did not like it.

IMDb tells me that Time Regained (Chiléan director Raul Ruiz, same as Mysteries of Lisbon) and A Casa (Lithuanian director Sharunas Bartas) are partially Portugeuse productions, but they're both in French and I don't recall any settings in Portugal.

I will look into Costa. I think I watched one by Oliveira once and hated it, so I will probably not repeat the experience.

Thanks for the help guys.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 02:17:29 AM »
I tried to look for Tabu but it seems very hard to get.

Huh? That's the one film by Gomes that has been released pretty much everywhere.

valmz

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 02:47:39 AM »
You have to watch many Oliveira films if only to make make-believe friends with Leonor Silveira. It's a relationship that everyone should have, I feel. She's one of my favorites. Couldn't find anyone less likely to win an Oscar, but who could care? Her aura is wonderful.

I've seen films by Monteiro and Villaverde and, while fascinating, if you want to find things not to like, you won't have to look far. Fascinating, though.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »

Público's Best Portuguese Films: I'm between Orange and Red on this. The Red is just a personal bias against country lists. There may well be some great titles here.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Totoro

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
MYSTERIES OF LISBON is indeed a masterpiece and TABU is excellent.

That's all I got for contributions.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:30:28 AM »
I was not a fan of Eccentricities of a Blonde-haired Girl, but others have enjoyed it.