Author Topic: The Nice Guys  (Read 4772 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
The Nice Guys
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:40:18 AM »
The Nice Guys
* * * - Very Good

The actual mystery is pieced out in a very lazy way. Our heroes encounter a comedic situation and somebody there gives them the next name or address, even if there's no possible way that person would have that singular piece of info. (I'm looking at you neighborhood kid on a bike.) If all else fails, the duo will just happen to spot what they're looking for on the side of the road, or it will fall into their laps. I also don't understand or believe the reveal when it all comes together. The very idea that a work of fiction can be so dangerous that it would spark a multi-murder cover-up has been disproven by 100+ years of cinema. One last small note, Shane Black seemed to have better control over his character actors in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. There are moments here whose inclusion indicate him to still be new on the scene, something that wasn't in KKBB.

Okay, got that out of the way first.

The Nice Guys is a Shane Black L.A. Film Noir, set in the 70s and blended with an 80s buddy action film, which means it's the best movie of the year so far, the best original/throwback since Fury Road and a film I expect will appear in a few Top 100s around here. It nearly got into mine. The screenplay - despite the flaws I mentioned - has most of the year's best dialogue and creative plays on expectations. Even though you can see the connections to Black's previous works, The Nice Guys doesn't feel like it's repeating itself. In fact, I hope Black gets to keep playing in this sandbox for decades to come. Special mention (and pay attention to) the Hollywood party. Black had one of these before, but this one reaches Fellini heights of visual imagination.

I wonder what you thought of the weird, out of place scene where Tally calls the guys up to transport a briefcase full of money that turns out to have been a setup. That scene felt so extra, and not well established. I can't imagine either of those guys, especially Healy, who didn't trust Tally, all of a sudden trusting her and showing up randomly to get the money. It was a very lazy way to get Holland and Healy out of the house for Jon Boy to get to Amelia.

I know Adam and Josh mentioned it on the podcast too. What are your thoughts?

Overall, I did like the film by the way, but found it to be simply an above average noir comedy, not in my "best of the year" or certainly not by "Top 100" discussion.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Nice Guys
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Oh, a SPOILER section. This could come in handy.

I could make a list of scenes that were weird and out of place. This film has so much "go with me on this" it became a part of the style. I thought you were leading into the bumblebee in the back of their car. What about Kim Basinger's final scene, and having her speak directly to the camera? Did the writing fail her or did she fail to understand the writing?

It's already been established that the guys don't trust Tally, but they trust the money of Tally's boss. It's been established that they both will take cases without asking so long as there's money behind it. That said, I don't disagree with what you're saying, just like I'm sure you'll agree it's a stretch about the kid on the bike and how they find the name he gives on a movie billboard they happen to be driving by.

While we're here, do we know the actor who ends up with the blue face? He reminded me of Toby Kebbell or young Steven Tyler. I thought he was pretty terrible.

So great to see Keith David in 70s clothes. Reminded me of Cloud Atlas. The man was made for 70s clothes.

dassix

Re: The Nice Guys
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »
I just went with it.  I believe that's what the movie intended for the audience to do as well.  Especially with the way Holland March (Ryan Gosling) stumbles around throughout the movie and gets lucky with each new clue.  Jackson Healy was the character based in reality, calling out Holland for the same bullshit as the audience was.  I do agree that the briefcase idea was shortsighted and executed horribly, however, it did make for a great scene where Holland is looking for Jackson's "ankle gun".

love