love

Author Topic: Best New Thrillers  (Read 21798 times)

Wiz

Best New Thrillers
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and Midnight Special both exceptionally good films and I love them. I was looking around to see if I could find any more new similar thrillers, found a couple that looks really good!!! Any other suggestions?

THE WELL
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3316624/

MORGAN
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4520364/

THE SHALLOWS
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052882

Please add more if you know of any similar films?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:21:48 AM by Wiz »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Best New Thrillers
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 07:46:04 PM »
I do very much like 10CL and Midnight Special. I'm surprised by the solid reviews for The Shallows, and I'm super interested in that. Hush would be a good addition to your list, and it's available on US Netflix.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
The best genre! I should make note of these.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 09:55:36 PM »
Blue Ruin
The Gift (2015)
The Guest
Nightcrawler
Snowpiercer
Coherence
Stoker
Gone Girl
Non-Stop
Prisoners
Trance

Not sure which of these fall outside the scope of what you're looking for, but I'm certain Blue Ruin is one you want to add to your watchlist. I hear that director's follow-up, The Green Room, is just as good but I missed it in theaters.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
Ah, Blue Ruin. One I'm lucky enough to have seen.

I have a really narrow definition for thriller but I called Blue Ruin a thriller, so I guess it must have qualified. The Guest is another good mention... of the ones I've seen it's far and away the purest of the genre.

Nightcrawler, Prisoners... I liked these even more. I hadn't thought of them as thrillers. Prisoners yes... Nightcrawler, for me no. Snowpiercer I didn't enjoy (outside of some scenes), and it's too many other things for it to meet my made up criteria for being a thriller. :)

My definition of the genre. No horror, nothing surreal, nothing ghosty or magic, no paranormal stuff, no sci-fi stuff. It's about ordinary people (not weirdo Jake Gyllenhaal) living their normal lives, and they find themselves in some f'd up situation that isn't any of the above things.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:36:26 PM by smirnoff »

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:38:19 PM »
Not sure which of these fall outside the scope of what you're looking for, but I'm certain Blue Ruin is one you want to add to your watchlist. I hear that director's follow-up, The Green Room, is just as good but I missed it in theaters.

Big thumbs up to Green Room.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 11:42:28 PM »
I have a really narrow definition for thriller but I called Blue Ruin a thriller, so I guess it must have qualified. The Guest is another good mention... of the ones I've seen it's far and away the purest of the genre.

Nightcrawler, Prisoners... I liked these even more. I hadn't thought of them as thrillers. Prisoners yes... Nightcrawler, for me no. Snowpiercer I didn't enjoy (outside of some scenes), and it's too many other things for it to meet my made up criteria for being a thriller. :)

My definition of the genre. No horror, nothing surreal, nothing ghosty or magic, no paranormal stuff, no sci-fi stuff. It's about ordinary people (not weirdo Jake Gyllenhaal) living their normal lives, and they find themselves in some f'd up situation that isn't any of the above things.

Hmm, I like your definition, but I wonder why it qualifies The Guest and disqualified Nightcrawler. Stevens maybe isn't quite as crazy as Gyllenhaal, but I'd call neither normal. Both have secondary characters who get sucked into the crazy character's orbit as outlined in your definition. I guess the action in Nightcrawler is more realistic, too. What say you? I don't know which one I'd pick in a deathmatch.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:37 AM »

Hmm, I like your definition, but I wonder why it qualifies The Guest and disqualified Nightcrawler. Stevens maybe isn't quite as crazy as Gyllenhaal, but I'd call neither normal. Both have secondary characters who get sucked into the crazy character's orbit as outlined in your definition. I guess the action in Nightcrawler is more realistic, too. What say you? I don't know which one I'd pick in a deathmatch.

Intuitively the difference feels huge, but in trying to explain the distinction it feels like I'm splitting hairs. But I'll try anyway :)

For me The Guest is the story of a normal family, and they are beset on by an insidious villain. Whereas Nightcrawler is the story of an insidious villain encountering normal people. Is there a difference? They share all the same ingredients, and you're right Stevens is as abnormal as Gyllenhaal, so it's not crazy to liken them to one another. I guess there is a difference in focus or perspective that changes how I think of each film. I'm made to empathize with Gyllenhall in Nightcrawler, but I think in The Guest we're meant to empathize with the family. That's fair to say isn't it?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 12:54:56 AM »

:))

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:37 AM »
Sicario
Blackhat
A Most Violent Year
Furious 7
'71
The Drop
Fast & Furious 6
Le Passé ("Farhadi is the kitchen sink Hitchcock.")
Side Effects
Jack Reacher
Sightseers
End of Watch

TV Thrillers
The Night Manager
Turks & Cacos/ Salting The Battlefield

I like Carol as a thriller. I don't think Patricia Highsmith capable of not writing a thriller, whatever the subject matter.

Hitchcock Truffaut has come out recently. As an overview of the subject, is essential.

When I press "thriller" on Letterbox, these are the ones that appear on the first page that I've watched.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:21:30 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love