love

Author Topic: Group Listening Booth  (Read 46717 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Group Listening Booth
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:43 AM »
I view this album as a sure sign of disintegration. That might make it essential as a curiosity but it doesn't make it much of an album. Actually as Harrison having more space as the Lennon and Macca collaboration fell apart. The guitar solo in Come Together actually sounds like Harrison has been left to it, very louche, as if nobody else was there, it changes the tone of the song. The up side are his two songs which are wonderful classics, which make me wonder what the Beatles would be if he had been a third powerful voice all along. His nature seems less pushy than that.

Those two novelty songs and all those part songs at the end don't help this seem less of a powerful offering. Compare it with Magical Mystery Tour which comes out right after Sgt Pepper is thrown together as a concept and is still packed with instant hits and some of the great songs and it looks weak.

All that's left is I Want You which as oldkid mentioned is Pink Floyd like it gave them the idea to be Pink Floyd. Im not accusing the Beatles of the crime of inventing prog rock. They probably got the idea from Cream.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 12:33:08 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 01:05:17 AM »
Every party needs a pooper and that's why we invited you. ;)  Aww, there's a lot to love here, verbALs!

There's some pure, vulnerable emotion going on in these songs: the visceral love of "Something," (yay Harrison! You're so right about him) the raw pain of "Oh! Darling," the wistfulness of Because... 

I guess I just want you to love it more. :)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
Im not accusing the Beatles of the crime of inventing prog rock.

So you missed the part where we all praised Alan Parsons? :D

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
Next up, colonel_mexico's choice...

Album: Electric Ladyland
Artist: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Year: 1968

"...a fever dream of underwater electric soul cut in round-the-clock sessions...." – Rolling Stone

Listening Booth
Date: Wednesday, July 6th
Time: 10:00 a.m. (CST)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:22:44 PM by Sandy »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 04:58:45 PM »
Oooo, I like this one.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 05:21:28 PM »
Should be a lot of new music to me.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »
I view this album as a sure sign of disintegration. That might make it essential as a curiosity but it doesn't make it much of an album. Actually as Harrison having more space as the Lennon and Macca collaboration fell apart. The guitar solo in Come Together actually sounds like Harrison has been left to it, very louche, as if nobody else was there, it changes the tone of the song. The up side are his two songs which are wonderful classics, which make me wonder what the Beatles would be if he had been a third powerful voice all along. His nature seems less pushy than that.

Those two novelty songs and all those part songs at the end don't help this seem less of a powerful offering. Compare it with Magical Mystery Tour which comes out right after Sgt Pepper is thrown together as a concept and is still packed with instant hits and some of the great songs and it looks weak.

All that's left is I Want You which as oldkid mentioned is Pink Floyd like it gave them the idea to be Pink Floyd. Im not accusing the Beatles of the crime of inventing prog rock. They probably got the idea from Cream.

I've always had this thought that if you put 'Abbey Road' and 'Let It Be' together you have a really good album. Probably one of the best of their career? Put that collection of songs together, let them work out the song's fully, you get a brilliant album.

I agree with verbALs. I love George and I often think what would have happened had he had a more authoritative voice. There's a video clip where he's saying to Lennon & McCartney "I'll play whatever you what...or I'll not play at all...what ever you what, whatever makes you happy I'll do it!"

Doesn't sound like a democracy?

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
It's too tricky for me to make it to the scheduled listening times, but this is a fun idea. I enjoyed reading the chat transcript.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
@Monty. The idea that those later albums are self-indulgent seems well established but Macca has said some things recently about the break up period that echo the feeling that it's hard to see Lennon and him being in the studio together at all. The recording technique for Sgt Pepper meant they weren't playing very much as band and Martin was splicing all the solos together. So the technique didn't encourage collaboration either. So the hits on Magical Mystery Tour sound very much either Lennon or Macca solo songs. The White Album is such a torrent of ideas that the half song feel passes you by. Come Together and Get Back sound Lo-fi (in a way modern bands....The strokes?....strive to achieve). They don't sound like the same band anymore. More mature in some ways (the blues feel is a lot cooler). The Lo-fi suggests keeping it simple because they aren't working together so much. I'll say it again though what Harrison achieves here is transcendent and maybe surprised L&M. Bless his attitude of compromise but what did we lose in terms of Lennon/Harrison or Macca/Harrison composition?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:30:03 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »
It's too tricky for me to make it to the scheduled listening times, but this is a fun idea. I enjoyed reading the chat transcript.

:)

What is your favorite Abbey Road song?

love