love

Author Topic: Group Listening Booth  (Read 46907 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Group Listening Booth
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »
What is your favorite Abbey Road song?
Probably Come Together. All the performances are fantastic and it's bluesy in a really singular and interesting way. It's a John song but I think what makes it truly special and a little bit strange is Paul's bass and his suggestion to slow the tempo way down. 

Come Together and Get Back sound Lo-fi
We must use that term differently because those songs don't strike me as lo-fi at all.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:49:12 PM by mañana »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »
Probably Come Together. All the performances are fantastic and it's bluesy in a really singular and interesting way. It's a John song but I think what makes it truly special and a little bit strange is Paul's bass and his suggestion to slow the tempo way down. 

I like the way you listen to music and how well you express what you're hearing. I'm going to go listen to the song right now, with what you've written in mind. Thanks! :)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 01:57:37 AM »
Even in the context of The Beatles; not even in the modern context of a band like The Strokes, the songs have little added in production. No edits, no fancy sound effects. Just the blues. I was exploring that idea in the context of a band who seem to want to get into the studio, lay down a track and get out as fast as possible. You can put a positive spin on it just as easily that they are looking to regain a live feel to their music. Songs they could play live! Also it means the album has more than one strain. By this stage the band would be massively influencing new bands forming. A song like I Want You encourages an expansive prog (yuck) style. Here the worlds biggest band is saying you can break this down to basics again. Very encouraging and these are the hits (Beatles hits not Harrison hits anyway). Elements like Billy Prestons organ have all the rough edges left on. There's no pejorative here.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
No pejorative interpreted, lo-fi just doesn't strike me as an accurate descriptor. Uncluttered and "back to basics" certainly, but the mic'ing techniques alone are far too precise and specifically intended to reproduce a high quality sound for those tracks to be called what I think of as lo-fi. Which is why I think you and I just use the term differently.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:36:44 PM by mañana »

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 01:43:32 AM »
When I think of low-fi - I think of Sebadoh, Pavement - Liz Phair's first album Exile In Guyville.
Fuzzier and kind of dirty.
Hey, nice marmot!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2016, 01:46:24 AM »
Not the organ on Come Together? That's what's cool about music. That everyone's idea of a certain idea is a different song.  ;D its interesting discussing the direction the band were moving in because it's a key influencers what they did at every point in their creative period. I posted some of "Are You Experienced". Now Hendrix and these guys were part of the same scene and these albums are a year apart. That the Beatles reinvested in the blues instead of venturing further into experimentation suggests cross fertilisation. Then you have Jimmy Page on the same scene. The Stones were diving into a Deep South blues but their trajectory was fairly steady. The Beatles seem to be turning in that direction from a completely different place.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:06:26 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »

I like the way you listen to music and how well you express what you're hearing. I'm going to go listen to the song right now, with what you've written in mind. Thanks! :)
:)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »
Hey everyone!

The magic carpet waits for you, so don't you be late! :)

Tomorrow, 10:00 a.m. (CST)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
I've only used it once, but Dubtrack is a chat site that lets you queue up music for everyone in the room to listen to simultaneously. Might be a nice place to have these discussions (though I'm not sure if chat transcripts are available).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »
Well, it would solve me awkwardly telling everyone to pause on account of my spotify ads.