Author Topic: Group Listening Booth  (Read 46917 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Group Listening Booth
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Excited for this. Mi don't think I've ever listened to ELC in it's entirety.
Hey, nice marmot!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Update!

Junior, pixote and I have been over at dubtrack and are having a blast. Anytime someone wants to share music and chat, it's a great location.

As for tomorrow, we'll still go to CHATZY! All of Electric Ladyland isn't available on youtube and that is the format dubtrack uses. So tomorrow use Spotify, or iTunes and meet me here.  http://www.chatzy.com/filmspotting

Can't wait to listen to this album with you. :) 

*Hope you can make it, St. Martin!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
Yeah, that was a lot of fun, perfect for our uses too. It might be a good idea for future leaders to try to pick an album that is all on youtube (or soundcloud) so that we can use that site. It's not an absolute requirement or anything, but a solid guideline.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:13 PM »
I'll try to get there for part of it.  My morning is pretty full right now.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 12:28:21 AM »
Don't know what your version of the album looks like but good luck with the 15 and 13 minute songs.  ;D (I'll give it a listen whilst I'm driving today)

Listened;
There's a decent single album in here. Side one- can only salvage Crosstown Traffic; dude two - an ok blues thread runs thru it; side three- jeez; side four- gobsmackingly good, VC (Slight Returm) not to be associated with VC ATALL, stunning
Just like Abbey Road but the indulgence is forgivable because he was moving towards a new approach. A jazz tinged approach. so experimental rather than indulgent.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:37:49 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
Don't know what your version of the album looks like but good luck with the 15 and 13 minute songs.  ;D (I'll give it a listen whilst I'm driving today)

:))

They flew by!

Listened;
There's a decent single album in here. Side one- can only salvage Crosstown Traffic; dude two - an ok blues thread runs thru it; side three- jeez; side four- gobsmackingly good, VC (Slight Returm) not to be associated with VC ATALL, stunning
Just like Abbey Road but the indulgence is forgivable because he was moving towards a new approach. A jazz tinged approach. so experimental rather than indulgent.

I can take off the spoiler tags now. If Abbey Road is indulgent, then whatever pleases the Beatles, pleases me. :)

We were talking about what a single album should have in it. Aren't you a fan of Have You Ever Been... or Voodoo Chile? "Side three- jeez" :D all sorts of avenues it goes down! And yes, "side four- gobsmackingly good." We were all passed out on the floor after those last three songs! So happy you joined in! I've been listening to Are You Experienced, but am spending time with Hunky Dory too. I'm surrounded by greatness!

Yeah, that was a lot of fun, perfect for our uses too. It might be a good idea for future leaders to try to pick an album that is all on youtube (or soundcloud) so that we can use that site. It's not an absolute requirement or anything, but a solid guideline.

It's a great site, but both the chatzy and dubtrack are good options, so we can make most any album work. Check out the dubtrack site for next week. Junior is going to put his choice there as a playlist for us. Let me know if you have any questions about the site. Thanks.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »
One album:

Crosstown Traffic
Long Hot Summer Night
Come On
Gypsy Eyes
Burning of the Midnight Lamp
Still Raining Still Dreaming
House Burning Down
All Along The Watchtower (but I'm not really a fan)
Voodoo Chile SR

"Are You Experienced" is as good as side 4 all the way through. Axis Bold of Love has so many strange unique wonderful songs on it. Like he matures. "Band of Gypsies" has Machine Gun and Changes which are big favourites. So I'd go 1,2,4,3. So how did you end up choosing ELadyland?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »
I'd buy that album! Those are my favorites as well. I think you're telling me to listen to Axis: Bold as Love next. :) I already love "Little Wing" so am looking forward to the rest of the album. Any album with "Machine Gun" has to bump it forward on your list, so for you, Electric Ladyland didn't stand a chance against it. :) I'll listen to "Changes" today.

I picked Abbey Road and the Col. picked Electric Ladyland. I asked him the same question and this was his chat answer.

colonel_mexico: when it comes to music for me i love guitar players and when asked who the best is i usually like to go with hendrix, but i really only know the hits, so i thought i need to explore an album and this one, while it doesn't have my favorite tune, seemed to be the one that is the most loved.

It turned out to be an incredible listening experience. Hopefully down the road we could visit some of his other albums.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »
Electric Ladyland  Chat Excerpts  (Press play and follow along. :) )

(I love putting the colors with our names, but in the interest of time, I'm going to leave it in grey tones.)

Sandy: I'm here listening to "The Gods Made Love" backwards.
oldkid: Of course you are
Sandy: I can hear jimi say, "Okay, one more time"
colonel_mexico: lol
Sandy: and "stay there for a second" Is this about making love or making the track? Are you all familiar with this album? It's new to me
oldkid: I'm familiar with some of the cuts, but there are a number I've not heard
colonel_mexico: just the hits
Bondo: I think All Along the Watchtower is the only song from this album I've heard before, and mostly Dave Matthews Band cover
Sandy: Well, Col. would you like to tell us your thoughts about jimi and what about this album, made you choose it?
colonel_mexico: when it comes to music for me i love guitar players and when asked who the best is i usually like to go with hendrix, but i really only know the hits, so i thought i need to explore an album and this one, while it doesn't have my favorite tune, seemed to be the one that is the most loved
Sandy: :) what is your favorite tune?
colonel_mexico: little wing
Sandy: nice
oldkid: Little wing is great. This album does have My favorite jimi, though-- Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
colonel_mexico: though much like bondo, i love stevie ray vaughns cover of it lol
Sandy: I only know a few songs of Hendrix's so I'm really excited about today's album
Bondo: My knowledge of DMB's All Along The Watchtower is more my brother's affection than mine. Otherwise I know Hendrix via Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Sandy: :)
Sandy: I love the lyrics of little wing
colonel_mexico: ha, whats funny is stevie rays version has no words
Sandy: stevie is missing half the song!

"And The Gods Made Love"
Sandy: see now aren't you glad I told you what he said?   
colonel_mexico: lol, yes thanks!
Bondo: Had to turn my sound down a bit...this is a little nails on chalkboard
oldkid: There's a skill to backmasking, keeping the rhythm. I think Stone Roses did it best
colonel_mexico: i have the 1968 US vinyl dl, its a little quiet, headphones today

"Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)" 
Bondo: did everyone else get like a five second song with a little girl's voice?
Sandy: oh, i'm in love with this sound. No, I didn't get the little girls voice
colonel_mexico: no girls voice here
oldkid: I didn't get a girls voice
The BFJunior joined the chat
Sandy: Hi Junior!
The BFJunior: Hello
oldkid: LOL, Junior. Your name. Big change between the first cut and the second. EL has a lot more Motown in it
Sandy: big smile on my face
oldkid: Smooth and pleasant. Really nice.
colonel_mexico: love that fade out guitar

"Crosstown Traffic"
Sandy: sounds like a kazoo
Bondo: The drum intro on this had me thinking Ringo from last week, but the guitar is all Jimi.
colonel_mexico: right, i like that
Bondo: The guitar rift right by when he says Crosstown Traffic has almost a doppler effect of a car in motion
colonel_mexico: love the lyrics, cant you see im turning from green to red
oldkid: I've heard CT before. It sounds just generic, but I know it wasn't when it was first made. He was such an original.
colonel_mexico: CT has that cream sound from disraeli gears or something, even the singing is clapton-ish
oldkid: Keeping it busy, like traffic is
colonel_mexico: totally
oldkid: Yeah, Cream-ish.
Sandy: Bondo, I read that this album was mixed in stereo (their only one to do so), so you're going to get that affect some more, i think

"Voodoo Chile"
Bondo: I'm curious to compare this one with Voodoo Child...see what similarities they go with to payoff the name play
oldkid: Blues...
colonel_mexico: oh man robert johnson chills right here
oldkid: Yeah...
oldkid: So coooooooollll.... I want to hear this live. In a smokey club
Sandy: In heaven, I'll buy your ticket
colonel_mexico: yeah i bet this one is great live
oldkid: I like the way that the producers left in some band chatter
Sandy: sometime we should pick a night time album listening, so I can close my eyes and drift off whenever. 
colonel_mexico: haha good idea
Sandy: then if I stop talking, you know I've left "the building"   
Bondo: Radiohead would be a good drift off album. The Bends or something
Sandy: yeah
colonel_mexico: wow
Bondo: Jimi is beyond words
oldkid: The organ and lead guitar work are so psychedelic, but it remains so blusey and smooth
colonel_mexico: yeah ok, its like fast, but smooth
The BFJunior: claps
Sandy: they like what they're doing
Bondo: This is the type of music I wouldn't normally listen to, but set me down on a blanket on grass at a music festival and I just want to chill out to this all day...there may be "substances" inhaled
oldkid: "Way down by the methane sea"
The BFJunior: I kinda just want this to turn into his version of the national anthem.
oldkid: Jimi is borrowing from Chicago blues, but he makes it is own when he works his guitar into the ground
colonel_mexico: the drum solo is great
colonel_mexico: ha jr that would be awesome
oldkid: Deep psychedelic vibe now.
Sandy: feedback as musical notes
colonel_mexico: this album probably influenced so many people, like i can hear the doors in here (i almost choose them for today), some floyd, clapton like blues
The BFJunior: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense
Bondo: This makes me want to listen to Alberta Cross, when I went to the Mile High Music Festival, it was the closest to this sort of bluesy sound, imagine they were inspired by this
oldkid: Jimi influenced everyone
Sandy: you chose well, Col. This is something very special
oldkid: Did you know that he toured with the Monkees, who introduced him to the Stones and the Beatles?
colonel_mexico: i did not
The BFJunior: Musicians: Stealing from black guys since the invention of music
colonel_mexico: lol jr!
colonel_mexico: i remember hearing that he played with little richard but that didnt work out
The BFJunior: i can't imagine it would, no
Bondo: There was a thing in Orange Is The New Black...I think about The Wiz vis a vis Wizard of Oz accusing them of appropriation, I lol'd
colonel_mexico: wow now hes shredding
oldkid: We all do. Africans have music at the center of their culture. Our love of music comes from them. They explored rhythm, etc in a way other cultures didn't
oldkid: Indian music is as deep and interesting.
Bondo: This song includes its own reviews  "outta sight"
The BFJunior: lol

"Little Miss Strange"
oldkid: Wait...
Sandy: this one is different
Bondo: Beatles?
Sandy: turtles
oldkid: Yeah, Turtles
The BFJunior: definitely beatlesish
oldkid: With Jimi backing
oldkid: A lot of variety on this album. Not what I was expecting
colonel_mexico: like octopus garden, ok guys you can have a song
The BFJunior: feels pretty kitchen sink-y
colonel_mexico: ill just shred over here
Sandy: :)
oldkid: Early Moody Blues
Bondo: I feel like if you say this is your favorite song of the album, they ask you to leave
oldkid: Picks up different guitar...
colonel_mexico: think thats the wah-wah pedal, jimi loved the effects
oldkid: Ah
colonel_mexico: lol bondo

"Long Hot Summer Night" 
colonel_mexico: long hot summer night, it certainly is
oldkid: Nice to have Jimi back
colonel_mexico: lol yes
oldkid: "woo woo woo" backup. Not one of his classics, but nice guitar work, as usual.
The BFJunior: have we lost our backup singers? at least on albums? where have all the backups gone?
Bondo: Normally I'm mostly a vocalist, but on these I'm often like, hey guys, hush up, I'm trying to listen to the guitar. Maybe those SRV instrumental covers are where it's at.
colonel_mexico: yeah we dont get too much, some of the more recent punk bands like afi use them, but you dont get much of them anymore that i can think of

"Come On (Part One)"
colonel_mexico: tickling the notes out in this one. let the good times roll
oldkid: Nice update to the early 60s classic
Bondo adds song to Making Out playlist
oldkid: Got the rock 'n' roll rhythm
The BFJunior: gross
Sandy: haha
oldkid: This guitar solo rocks
The BFJunior: it's very good
oldkid: Chuck Berry, eat your heart out
colonel_mexico: no kidding
Sandy: "flippin' like flag on a pole"   
colonel_mexico: :)
oldkid: lol

I'm so sorry, I lost a very big portion of chat here! We were brilliant! Our words were astounding! :)

"House Burning Down"
St_M: Hippy rap
The BFJunior: yeah, the next two are all-timers, but this is just as good
oldkid: Why have I never heard this before?
colonel_mexico: i heard prince makes good pancakes, i bet jimi makes great waffles
St_M: This is on fire
oldkid: Breakfast in heaven!
colonel_mexico:   10:25 AM
Sandy: I make good pancakes and waffles.   
colonel_mexico: on my way
Sandy: but I can't play the guitar.
St_M: Oh man
Sandy: haha!
Sandy: my earphones are smoking
oldkid: So sweet...

"All Along the Watchtower"
The BFJunior: that opening
Bondo: And here we go
oldkid: Now the classics
Bondo turns up volume
The BFJunior: guys, i think i'm a Cylon
St_M: hahaha
Bondo: :)
The BFJunior: i want to meet the person who doesn't like this song and punch them
oldkid: I wish I could've seen Dylan's face when he heard what jimi did to his song
oldkid: I bet his mouth dropped
colonel_mexico: no kidding
St_M: This is my favorite version
oldkid: Mine too, easily
oldkid: Dylan probably said, "It's yours Jimi. I'll never play it again" (not true)
Bondo: I prefer to think of this as the original
colonel_mexico: if im a musician at this time and i heard this album, id be like well geology might be a good field to go into, jimis got this music sh*t
Sandy: haha! time to pawn that guitar
St_M: It has a frantic intensity that whips you into the song.
The BFJunior: it's when he starts a word that begins with a vowel with a "w" instead wall along the tower woutside in the cold distance
colonel_mexico: !
Bondo: True fact, Bob Dylan did the best version of zero Bob Dylan songs (may not be true)
oldkid: Yet Jimi actually made more people buy guitars. I don't know why. Who thought, "Yeah, I could do that"??????
Bondo: Haha
Sandy: i don't know!
The BFJunior: i love putting these two at the end
Bondo: and like that it's gone
The BFJunior: like, ok, you think i'm good, eh?

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" 
oldkid: Most albums begin with the best
Bondo: gotta put best song third, like a baseball lineup
The BFJunior: gonna throw some 15 minute songs in there just to CINECAST! with you
oldkid: Or second, but last? Who does that? Because jimi is like, "If you don't listen to the end, you don't deserve my best"
colonel_mexico: before i let you go im going to destroy you with cool
Sandy: that's it exactly, Col.
The BFJunior: it's not just cool (though it is very cool) it's genius
oldkid: start deceptively quiet... and then BOOM!
oldkid: Slap em down!
Bondo: Oh yeah, definitely know this

oldkid: Voodoo Chile you could sit back and listen to for hours, VC (Slight Return) you gotta sit up, pay attention... then stand up... you can't sit still
colonel_mexico: never
Bondo: so begs the question, High Fidelity style, has any album ever ended as strong as this one?
Sandy: abbey road
oldkid: Yeah, abbey road
The BFJunior: very few
Sandy: not the same though
colonel_mexico: haha sandy good one
oldkid: Dark Side, maybe
Bondo: Abbey road is great, and I'm gonna let it finish, but Jimi did the best
oldkid: Days of Future Past. Well, they would all go into my top 5 endings. But Jimi's great
The BFJunior me right now
colonel_mexico: lol jr
Bondo: haha, yeah, pretty much
oldkid: lol   
oldkid: What, it's over?
Bondo: Wait, how is it over. Why is it over.
colonel_mexico: and just like that he was gone
oldkid: damn
Sandy: there is a void
Bondo This is that album  The Fade Away
colonel_mexico: "hes not dead, he just went home"
oldkid: LOLOLOL
St_M: Ahh lol

oldkid: Okay so if we were going to cut this album to make one, what would we include
oldkid: The last two, for sure
St_M: The last 3
colonel_mexico: yeah thanks so much guys, so fun, mind blown
Sandy: gypsy eyes, long hot summer night... hard to leave any out
oldkid: Thanks for choosing this, col!
Sandy: Yes, love this choice.
colonel_mexico: np, glad to do it and of course i believe Burning of the Midnight Lamp has to be on there
Sandy: one of my favorites, lyrics wise
oldkid: I'd leave out little miss strange
St_M: I really love his lyrics - I don't think his vocals get enough credit.
Bondo: Listening to Bob Dylan AATW from Woodstock 94...what is this
colonel_mexico: he is a great singer
Sandy: he really is versatile, vocally.
oldkid: Although cool, I'd leave out the first Rainy day
colonel_mexico: yeah sandy if you get a chance give little wing a spin, i know we didnt hear it today, but its my favorite hendrix and stevie rays version might do something to you   
oldkid: And I'd leave out 1983
colonel_mexico: looking forward to jr's pick next week and the upcoming weeks!
Sandy: I will, Col! and the other version too!
Sandy: So glad you could join us St. Martin! Thanks for dealing with the phone
St_M: Thanks I loved it

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
I'm sorry to miss the "1983" chat. That's the first time I've not ff'ed it. It's more drum solo than anything. One notable difference- songs that lull me....never a good quality. Sending you to sleep would be my definition of bad art generally. "Still Raining Still Dreaming" is great too. Sorry that chat didn't copy as well. As for the beat in African music you gotta love that English rhythm section ;D the drumming on Hendrix records is marvellous. He needed a drummer crazy enough to try keeping up.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:14:44 PM by verbALs »

love