love

Author Topic: Group Listening Booth  (Read 46916 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Group Listening Booth
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
From an interview with the late Abbas Kiarostami

http://www.avclub.com/article/abbas-kiarostami-53269

AVC: You’ve said in the past that you’re not offended if people sleep during your films, as long as they dream about them afterward.

AK: I’ve said that many times, and I’m not sure if it has been understood right, because very often they take that as a joke, whereas I mean it. I really think that I don’t mind people sleeping during my films, because I know that some very good films might prepare you for sleeping or falling asleep or snoozing. It’s not to be taken badly at all. This is something I really mean. But the kind of sleep that I had during my own film screening in Cannes is different. It’s not because of the specificity of the film. It was because of my relationship as an author to this film. Usually when I take my films to festivals, I feel incredibly anxious about them. I wonder how it will be received, how the audience will react. I feel deeply responsible for them. Whereas this time, I didn’t have that responsibility on my shoulders. I saw this French woman, this English man in Italy. It was a film I knew well, but I had already seen it, and I was familiar with it, and I had no feeling of anxiety or responsibility toward it.

Seems to me that a sing out book or movie that puts you in the sleeping mod on purpose is just fine and dandy. Falling asleep to something that's supposed to be thrilling in the other hand is one of the worst things.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:23:58 PM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:15 PM »
I'm sorry to miss the "1983" chat. That's the first time I've not ff'ed it. It's more drum solo than anything. One notable difference- songs that lull me....never a good quality. Sending you to sleep would be my definition of bad art generally.

That's funny, because during the part that you can't read, I mentioned that it would be nice to do a group album listen at night sometime and then I could close my eyes and maybe just drift off. :)

"Still Raining Still Dreaming" is great too. Sorry that chat didn't copy as well.

That's totally my fault! I copy and paste a few times while in chat, but got caught up in the music and didn't do my job! Too much time/chat had elapsed and I missed it.

As for the beat in African music you gotta love that English rhythm section ;D the drumming on Hendrix records is marvellous. He needed a drummer crazy enough to try keeping up.  ;D

So true! Hendrix makes it difficult to pull my attention away from him, but the drums hold their own. We even talked about the drums too. As I said, we were brilliant. ;)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2016, 12:15:38 AM »
Catching up with songs from chat and here...

verbALs, I listened to "Changes," where the drummer gets the spotlight. Buddy Miles is the man! I like how he's trying to buoy himself up, "Everything goin' to be alright..." and then just can't quite get there, "oh no, I want my love..." but then rallies at the end, "It's alright." His own pep talk song.

Bondo, listened to the album, Broken Side of Time, by Alberta Cross today. There's a lot of emotional heft to it, even right out of the gate with, "Song Three Blues." I kept playing the first 20 seconds of it. :) That one, the one you shared, "The Thief & The Heartbreaker" and "Ghost Of City Life" were my favorite three. Each a variation of sadness. Like I said in chat, cathartic and good for the soul... But! They should be chased with happier tunes at some point! Thanks for sharing this.

colonel_mexico, I lost track of how many times I listened to Stevie's Little Wing! You said the song might do something to me. It did. It made me want to keep listening to it. :) There's a lot of love and a sense of honoring the song, poured into his playing. I can feel it. Thank you for telling me, it's a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:23:32 AM by Sandy »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2016, 12:35:13 AM »
Bondo, listened to the album, Broken Side of Time, by Alberta Cross today.

Heh, technically I was recommending the album The Thief and the Heartbreaker. But they reuse that track along with one other on their second album. I've not really listened to Broken Side of Time.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2016, 12:44:47 AM »
I'm sorry to miss the "1983" chat. That's the first time I've not ff'ed it. It's more drum solo than anything. One notable difference- songs that lull me....never a good quality. Sending you to sleep would be my definition of bad art generally.

That's funny, because during the part that you can't read, I mentioned that it would be nice to do a group album listen at night sometime and then I could close my eyes and maybe just drift off. :)

....and seeing you write it down, my reaction shows me how antithetical the idea is. Your talking about music that doesn't stimulate in any way cos that would wake you up or make you think. I find that if I turn music down really low so that it takes a while to adjust to the volume, I think that means I'm concentrating harder and that can stop my brain going off on a tangent. So it stops other thoughts intruding and keeping me awake. So I can use music to help me go to sleep but that it is barely audible makes it something else. It's so quiet it's only grabbing enough of my attention to do a job. Then you have to have a radio that it's easy to get the volume to just the right level. I like to think the music is still going into my head whilst I'm sleeping. So that's as close as I come to wanting to be lulled by music. Generally and I know it's just my own taste, when I hear about music lulling, all I'm hearing is that it's bland. Bland music really does seem to appeal to people (check Adele at Glasto..she ain't challenging anyone). It seems to be comforting. So music that maintains an already established mood appears to be an intent for listening to it. Yet if it's Hendrix who was doped to the eyeballs at the time and nobody pulls the plug whilst he noodles for 15 minutes then I know that's bad (know still means it's my opinion, for clarity). So lulling means bad. To me. I mean you ve got the real version of Voodoo Chile at the end to compare it to and the difference in reaction is clear. Anyone choosing the 15 min slog over Slight Return?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2016, 01:32:36 AM »
I wouldn't choose VC over VC-SR, but I love them both for different reasons.

Music shouldn't only make us do one thing.  The magic of music is that it can tap every emotion we have even without lyrics.  I have different playlists for different moods.  I can't have just a playlist that wakes me up and stirs me.  I need to rest and be silent as well.  I use music for meditation that basically puts me into a hypnotic trance.  I want music to sadden me, deaden me, awaken me, stir my lusts, give me hope, embolden me and to dash me on the ground, helpless in despair.  I want to be in a conversation with the artist, and if the artist can only hit one note in my emotional repertoire, then it isn't much of a conversation, I think.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:08 AM »
yeah I'm interested that my reaction to lull is to associate it with bland music. I just thought people didn't question how bland (and for my purposes Adele outside of her hits seems a good example) a lot of music is. But I'm inferring that people actually seek out bland music for a specific purpose.

I think your point about meditative states is apposite for late 60s music and Jimi had a string (sic) to his bow that let him speak to that state. But I can compare these 2 long pieces to Third Stone From The Sun which is serene in a purposeful manner whereas these two just meander. Again I see your point. Meditate doesn't mean think though. So no I'd not want to meditate. I want something to make me think. Cool still has a direction in music. It doesn't just flutter like a butterfly. But thanks for the PoV. I can see why it connects to VC. People just listen to Whalesong now don't they? :D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
Meditation is being in present awareness. It's not a blank mind - it's accepting your thoughts/emotions without judgement no matter what they are. That's true meditation/mindfulness.
I think that's a wonderful way to appreciate music.
Hey, nice marmot!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
Cool. Any examples of good music to meditate to?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I've been thinking about what album to do next. It's a tough task to follow these first two. I knew I wanted to go more recent, so I picked an album that's only 20 years old rather than 50. And I wanted to pick an album that I knew I loved a few songs on, had a good reputation, but which I hadn't fully dived into. And so, here's the pick.

Artist: Belle and Sebastian
Album: If You're Feeling Sinister
Year: 1996

"...like a less bitchy Morrissey, peppering his clever lyrics with ironic barbs." - The Onion AV Club

"Subtly poetic, wickedly funny, gorgeously melodic, steeped in ramshackle C86 jangle and the pop classicism of Bob Dylan and the Velvet Underground." - The Guardian

Listening Booth
Date: Wednesday, July 13th
Time: 10:00 AM (CST)

I'm open to changing the time, if enough people want that to happen.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”