love

Author Topic: Group Listening Booth  (Read 46919 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Group Listening Booth
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
Okay, given that a lot of us work during the morning listening booth, I'll be starting one in the evenings for those interested. After a lot of deliberation I decided on a first album:

So (Peter Gabriel)

(Thursday, Sept. 22th), 7:00 p.m.  (CDT)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
I will post my thoughts a little later - had a last minute booking. Gotta make that $$.
I do think this album holds up well - it's over 20 yrs old.
I hope you all enjoy this as much I have over the years. It's my go-to album for when I want to feel cool and dead sexy. :P
Hey, nice marmot!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »
Okay, given that a lot of us work during the morning listening booth, I'll be starting one in the evenings for those interested. After a lot of deliberation I decided on a first album:

So (Peter Gabriel)

(Thursday, Sept. 22th), 7:00 p.m.  (CDT)

Excellent choice.  One of my favorites.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
I will post my thoughts a little later - had a last minute booking. Gotta make that $$.
I do think this album holds up well - it's over 20 yrs old.
I hope you all enjoy this as much I have over the years. It's my go-to album for when I want to feel cool and dead sexy. :P

:D

Really enjoyed your album, St. Martin! oldkid and I had a nice little chat. I'll post it in a few...

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »
Dummy  Chat Excerpts  (Press play and follow along. :) )

oldkid: How far into the album are we? I like her voice. The electronic blast was a bit harsh in the last song. Maybe it's because I came in the middle. This song, though, is similar to Chillwave, which I've been listening to a lot... Okay, now we're in Wandering Star... So "Strangers" I didn't care for. But "It Could Be Sweet" was quite nice. Mellow and meditative. Wandering Star is also fine. I love the harmonica here.
Sandy: hi!
oldkid: Hi! I thought I was all alone. I guess you were, though
Sandy: Sorry, i was taking care of a baby
oldkid: That's a good thing
Sandy: have you heard this album before
oldkid: No. Never heard this artist. Electrobeat, with a strong hint of Chillwave
Sandy: i only knew her from the song Tom the Model, which i really love and then later I heard, Glory Box, which I love too... what is chillwave?
oldkid: Chillwave is a mellow form of electronic music, it is both dance and quiet
Sandy: im slow, typing one handed :)
oldkid: noprob
Sandy: yes, this music fits chillwave.
oldkid: I should give you a few Chillwave songs. What's weird about it is there are no hooks. But sometimes that's what I want.
Sandy: i could see needing songs like that on occasion... St. Martin had a last minute client so couldn't be here.
oldkid: Too bad. No one else, either, huh? I almost forgot
Sandy: The timing is tricky
oldkid: Have you been listening, or too baby focused? This song has a Bjork sound to it.
Sandy: it does! I've been both listening and taking care of the baby. both semi focused. I'm getting a general mood, but not the lyrics... this part makes me think of king louie, "I wanna be like you." :)
oldkid: When I first listen to an album, I usually take in the mood and sound and think about lyrics the next listen through
Sandy: that's a good policy
oldkid: This song makes sense for Manana's term "stoner music"
Sandy: haha. yep...
oldkid: This song is cool.(Glory Box)
Sandy: Yes, this is my favorite type of singing she does, both pleading and plaintive.. It sounds a lot like Tom The Model
oldkid: But the song "Roads", the line "how can it feel this wrong" is so haunting. Wow... Glory Box - Wow is this amazing. 40's torch song and 70's guitar and 10's electronica... Wait, don't turn it down! I'm not ready!
Sandy: did i turn it down?
oldkid: No. The producer did. He should stop that.
Sandy: haha... do  you want to hear tom the model?
oldkid: Yeah
Sandy: okay...
oldkid: So much heart in the vocals
Sandy: i get choked up
oldkid: Yeah. Every pain she has ever felt pours out of her... I will certainly add some of her songs to my chillwave set.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2016, 12:50:12 AM »
It's usually called Trip Hop. The Bjork connection is that the guy who produced her albums was part of the same Bristol crew who were part of or influenced Massive/ Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead but also had a hand in the tagging culture that Banksy emerged from. My favourite album of this whole period is Tricky's Maxinquaye. There's a deeper undertone of reggae and of broken beats of hip hop. Portishead the name reflects how Portishead the town sits off from Bristol and adds a classic sixties feel to that thrumming beat. A bit more refined...like an English town outside an English city. Attached but detached. Bristol has a harbour, Portishead has a marina.  ;D
Massive Attack played to 30,000 on the Downs above Bristol a few weeks ago.....in the pouring rain, which seemed apt. Big homecoming gig.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:52:42 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2016, 12:05:33 PM »
Strangers, Wandering Star and especially Biscuit. Big Love. "I'll never fall in love again, it's over now" Is this the original vocal slowed down?

At Last. Relief. A mother's son has left me here.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:09:51 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2016, 12:53:46 PM »
More later but I wanted to share this.
It's from their live album, the song Sour Times. Beth Gibbons goes from vulnerable and sad to a raging howl of raw emotion at the end - wait for it, seriously. Truly, a gut wrenching performance.
Hey, nice marmot!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
More later but I wanted to share this.
It's from their live album, the song Sour Times. Beth Gibbons goes from vulnerable and sad to a raging howl of raw emotion at the end - wait for it, seriously. Truly, a gut wrenching performance.

This has been played on repeat. :) Excellent.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
Hey everyone!

'Cause I believe there's a place, there's a place where we belong.

Tomorrow (Thursday, Sept. 22th), 7:00 p.m.  (CDT)

We'll be in dubtrack.fm, in the Group Listening Booth and the password is filmspotting.