Author Topic: #592: The BFG / Top 5 Children's Book Adaptations  (Read 1733 times)

Josh

• Administrator
    • LarsenOnFilm
Re: #592: The BFG / Top 5 Children's Book Adaptations
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »
Josh's list makes me wonder if he secretly hates children. ;)

Don't tell my kids! Actually, the list is probably more a result of my intense dislike for movies that pander to/insult the intelligence of kids, which is the majority of the movies aimed at them. I guess sometimes I take that preference too far...

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: #592: The BFG / Top 5 Children's Book Adaptations
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
My youngest daughter, now 7, loved The Witches, which we just saw a couple of months ago, and also Coraline, which we saw this last year. I did give her fair warning, though, about the parts she might find creepy and we talked it through beforehand. My older two kids saw Black Stallion when they were maybe 8 and 10 (?) and loved it.  The older two also loved Arriety when we saw it in the theater - they would have been 7 and 9 then. (They haven't seen Where the Wild Things Are because I don't like it.  ;D )

Anyway, that's all to say, I think kids are different, and on a family by family, kid by kid basis, we just have to gauge what our own kids can and can't handle - and take other parents' recommendations with a grain of salt. :)

love