love

Author Topic: Animation Education  (Read 23783 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Animation Education
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »
I'm relevant.

I was surprised at the comparative amount of songs in Moana too. And if you compare its plot to other movies there is not that much of it. Mulan, which it is most often compared to, must have 50% more of it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
Perhaps you are right, pix, in that I see Disney animated films as a sub-genre, a genre I generally appreciate, and so I look to a new film to fit that genre, but also to give me something new within it.  Moana fits that bill.  I feel that Moana is a better version of their genre than La La Land is of theirs.  I also think that Moana is a better version of the Disney animated film than Zootopia, although 1SO disagrees.  It is typical for a Disney film to be short, so it would have fewer songs than a "full-fledged" musical, but still have as many songs.   And actually, Moana and La La Land has as many official vocal songs (6 each), although La La Land is a half hour longer.

I think the characters are well developed in Moana, the songs are well written and produced.  The animation, especially the ocean is remarkably well done, creating a character from an entity that one would have though difficult to do.  While the morals aren't innovative, the hero's journey is well told and there are some surprises along the way.  For a genre movie, I think it does quite well.  For a movie, I really enjoyed myself and I can't wait to watch it again.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »
I mean, I can see Moana not having the greatest narrative structure, but I've always took Disney films to be more fairy-tale like where you suspend some of that disbelief in the name of embracing the fantastical. I thought the central idea quite nice and liked that it basically lacks an antagonist. You're probably right that it wouldn't play as well live-action, but more because those fantastical elements wouldn't work as well as live action CGI.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 05:29:02 PM »
Heh, La La Land is an interesting point of reference, since in my review of that film, I wrote that it wasn't a "a full-on movie musical" so much as "a romantic drama with musical elements." Perhaps my expectations of what a musical should be are just out of whack. I'll have to recalibrate in May. :)

I'm more baffled that everyone is so forgiving of Maui's willingness to leave Moana to drown in the middle of the ocean!

And I'm curious why people seem prefer Moana to Finding Dory. Dory, despite being a sequel, still managed to feel more original than Moana, with Dory's humor, heart, and characters being ultimately more entertaining than Moana's virtues (songs, culture). Granted, I think they're both fatally flawed and don't recommend either. Dory's convenient bouts of memory are more annoying than the ocean's convenient helpfulness in Moana, and Moana's ending (despite the ludicrous moments directly leading up to it) is probably more satisfying than the Looney Tunes escapes that culminate Dory.

So neither gets a passing grade from me, but I get the sense that most people prefer Moana significantly more. What sets them apart?

pixote
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:46:49 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »
I've managed to avoid both so far. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »
Not every musical can be Phantom of the Paradise, pixote.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Not every musical can be Phantom of the Paradise, pixote.

Damn, I swore I wouldn't cry today.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »
Pixote : Moana and Finding Dory both suck, but Moana sucks the most.

Me : Moana and Finding Dory are both great, but Finding Dory less so.

Why are you so wrong ?  ;D
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2017, 05:45:12 PM »
Why are you so wrong ?  ;D

Because I'm uneducated. Hence the need for this marathon!

pixote

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
This is precisely why I keep telling people they should just ask me what to think.

(Even though I agree with a lot of what you wrote.)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love