love

Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63084 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Horror: A New Beginning
« Reply #400 on: November 03, 2018, 11:45:46 PM »
Some Stats:
I wish I had done this with the last batch so I could compare. With 82 new reviews, here's how the 1000 films break down.

5 Stars: 7
4 Stars: 11
3.5 Stars: 40
3 - Very Good: 58
3 - Good: 108
3 - Okay: 123
2.5 Stars: 173
2 Stars: 248
1.5 Stars: 167
1 Star: 39
.5 Star: 22
0 Stars: 4

Average Rating: 2.299

5 Stars [Interesting that most of these can only debatably be classified as Horror.]
Alien
Aliens
A Clockwork Orange
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Se7en
Silence of the Lambs
The Terminator

0 Stars:
Night of the Lepus
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
Demons (1985)
The Woman (2011)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: Horror: A New Beginning
« Reply #401 on: November 04, 2018, 04:21:25 AM »
A Nightmare on Elm Street  :o(1996):o
★ ½

Was wondering if there was an unknown mid 90s remake until I read Jackie Earl Haley.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Horror Never Dies
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
An update just came out for They Shoot Zombies... 35 new entries including the most recent releases Hereditary and A Quiet Place.

There are nine new titles for me, which I am filing into my Horror Watchlist for a future date.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Horror: The Final Chapter
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
October can't get here soon enough.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Horror Never Dies
« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2019, 01:04:10 AM »
There are nine new titles for me, which I am filing into my Horror Watchlist for a future date.

I'm using my work break to watch the 9 titles so that I don't have them waiting for me like homework when Shocktober comes around.
Man Made Monster (1941)
The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
Weird Woman (1944)
The Maze (1953)
The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1966)
The Return of Count Yorga (1971)
Haunted (1995)
Tales from the Hood (1995)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Horror Never Dies
« Reply #405 on: July 31, 2019, 09:07:16 AM »

Man Made Monster (1941)
aka. The Electric Man
aka. The Atomic Monster
★ ★
Promising start with stars Lon Chaney Jr., Lionel Atwill and Samuel S. Hinds. Plot involving Chaney given an overdose of electrical energy is well beneath their abilities, hardly any thought put into it. The effect of glowing, electrified Chaney quickly goes from cool to silly. Much better is the makeup showing the effects of the electrical overdose on his face.

The Mummy’s Tomb (1942)
★ ★
Universal had some classic monster movies, but most of the collection from this era use their icons to kill time and recycle plots. This runs one-hour and starts with a 10-minute recap of the last film, before presenting the most routine scenes of The Mummy lurking around at night, scaring people with his shadow.

Weird Woman (1944)
★ ★ ½
This one’s different. Voodoo and superstition are at play, and if they could’ve afforded to up the atmosphere it might’ve helped me get past the slapped together storytelling.

The Maze (1953)
★ ★ ½
Engaged woman is mysteriously dumped and she forces her way to the man’s estate to find out why. From there it’s some pretty good mystery and atmosphere leading to… I’ll just say the guy is under a curse, but not something simple like a Wolfman. The conditions of his curse are more imaginative, more extreme and hard to not laugh at when revealed. Possibly worth finding on YouTube to see what I’m talking about.

The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
★ ★
Starts as a retread of Black Lagoon then presents an interesting idea about doctors operating on The Creature so that his lungs breathe air instead of water. That turns out to only be an excuse to reveal a much cheaper-looking suit and turn this into a reheated Frankenstein story.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Horror Never Dies
« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2019, 12:45:03 AM »

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1966)
aka. The Blood Demon
aka. Blood of the Virgins
aka. The Snake Pit and the Pendulum
★ ★
Christopher Lee brings a lot of charisma to the beginning and end of the film, but this loose adaptation of the Poe story looks cheap and rushed. Nothing seems particularly clever or thought out, including the potentially horrific opening where Lee is quartered by horses – the limbs detach like they’re Velcro – and the supposedly elaborate torture chamber, with traps hidden in secret passages.

The Return of Count Yorga (1971)
aka. Curse of Count Yorga
★ ★
The suburban vampire is back. Despite a poster selling Christopher Lee, Yorga is actually played by someone better resembling Ray Liotta. There’s a sense they were going more for fun this time, but there’s little sense of Yorga getting closer or further away from his master plan. One of the earliest horror films to pump up the sound mix and score, including a cheap jump scare. Also one of those annoying films where someone suggests it’s the work of a vampire and everyone laughs at them until it’s too late.

Haunted (1995)
★ ★
Based on a 1988 novel by James Herbert, though you might’ve guessed the material was a century older by how familiar it feels. As creaky as the doors in this over-lit gothic mansion. Extremely light on scary moments or violence, but gets the R Rating because of a high amount of nudity.

Tales from the Hood (1995)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
Cheesy but effective because the five stories have strong roots in real black problems. Gang violence, police brutality, racism and domestic abuse manage some social points as well as comic book style horror that reminds me of Creepshow. First episode is perhaps best, with some great blending of fantasy and graffiti, while the last suffers from jamming the black-on-black violent message down our throats with actual and staged news clips and photos. 

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #407 on: May 04, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »
Word is there will be an update to They Shoot Zombies within the next two weeks. Estimating around 200 new entries. Last year had only 35 new titles, with 9 for me to watch.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »
There will be an Update this Friday.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »
My body is ready.