love

Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63158 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Horror: The Final Chapter
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2017, 11:10:21 PM »
Is it just me or does this look like a stunt almost gone wrong.

The movie theatre... of all the people they decide NOT to show get killed, they choose the super obnoxious movie theatre patron. Weren't you a little disappointed not to see him get dealt with?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2017, 11:25:35 PM »
Is it just me or does this look like a stunt almost gone wrong.
Yes. The back end flips closer to the stuntman than expected. It was just reflexes that got him out of the way.

The movie theatre... of all the people they decide NOT to show get killed, they choose the super obnoxious movie theatre patron. Weren't you a little disappointed not to see him get dealt with?
The Horror genre is full of that type of disappointment. Obnoxious characters live on too long or deaths you want to see are where the director has a sudden attack of restraint.

I was wondering more about your take on the decision to have Ricky go see the movie that is based on his brother's murder spree, which would have some major psych ramifications, but is really done to pad this movie out even further with footage from the first film. It would've been interesting if the actor in the movie wasn't also the person in Ricky's flashback, but now it's like he took a trauma of seeing the move and believes it's something that happened to him and his brother... which is another interesting angle this film opts out of.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2017, 04:23:11 AM »
1SO, do you take requests?

I recently found Nightmare Weekend (1986) sitting on a watchlist here....
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2017, 05:53:34 AM »
Speaking of requests, I am 13 years too late based on the release year, but Long Weekend (1978) would fit this marathon.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »
Do you have a pitch because it looks terrible, which believe it or not is not my goal here. I found it on Horrorpedia Worst Horror Films of All-Time, which thankfully I've only seen 6% of, including Meet the Feebles, which is excellent.

Speaking of requests, I am 13 years too late based on the release year, but Long Weekend (1978) would fit this marathon.
Seen it. It's Good.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
Do you have a pitch because it looks terrible, which believe it or not is not my goal here. I found it on Horrorpedia Worst Horror Films of All-Time, which thankfully I've only seen 6% of, including Meet the Feebles, which is excellent.
I took a piece from the Swedish blog entry that made me put it on my list in the first place, and ran it through Google Translate:

"Directed by a Frenchman in Florida with American actors, "Nightmare Weekend" is a qualifying spin deluxe, with a playful pulp aesthetics a la landmates Robbe-Grillet, Rollin, and Rivette crossed with "Liquid Sky" and pastel colors and 80's flute as early as computers, walkie-talkies, and giant satellite dishes."

I do think your first hand impression above has more validity than that particular blog has in this question, but still.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
It's easy to talk me into a Horror film, but I think I'm gonna skip Nightmare Weekend.

Interesting story, I started watching the next film last night. It's called The Resurrected, from the H.P. Lovecraft story "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and directed by  Dan O'Bannon. Learned it was purchased by a studio that went bankrupt, so it never went into the theaters. The story is so dense - designed like a neo-noir mystery - that I had to stop about 10 minutes in and give it more concentration than the rest of the binge and purge titles that make up nearly all of this list.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
The Horror genre is full of that type of disappointment. Obnoxious characters live on too long or deaths you want to see are where the director has a sudden attack of restraint.

I was wondering more about your take on the decision to have Ricky go see the movie that is based on his brother's murder spree, which would have some major psych ramifications, but is really done to pad this movie out even further with footage from the first film. It would've been interesting if the actor in the movie wasn't also the person in Ricky's flashback, but now it's like he took a trauma of seeing the move and believes it's something that happened to him and his brother... which is another interesting angle this film opts out of.

The film was getting pretty dull and repetitive by that point for me. Just one scene after another of one of the brothers getting triggered, and then killing people. Occassionally they would also get super strength and be lifting people by the neck with one outstretched arm. It was at least funny when they would say "naughty". But I didn't really have any special takeaway from the theater scene. It was just another instance of him being triggered. Like this was a very crude interpretation of how PTSD works. It turns you into a bomb.

The weakness of the movie to me begins with making Ricky the primary character. You need a Clarice type character in the dynamic. Why did the shrink have to be unlikable? Wouldn't the movie work better if you liked him and felt like he was really trying to help Ricky but died tragically?

It's definitely not a movie that has me interest in seeing any more of the series. I found it kind of lacking in dumb fun to be honest.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »
I found the con job of using so much footage from the first film fascinating, with Ricky as our framing device. His performance was all the dumb fun. The contrast with Troll 2 is the blame/credit falls on the writer/director who clearly had no idea what he was doing, but there's an Ed Wood likability to the fact that he gets a film on screen at all. Troll 2 is what you might get if you deliberately aimed to be an episode of How Did This Get Made. None of the people exist in the real world. Their decisions and the things they say come without a moment of "does anyone else realize what an unbelievable situation this is?" The cast is clearly friends, family and co-workers, unlike Ricky and his eyebrows who I think saw himself as the new Willem DeFoe.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
I was kind of surprised that, given his now legendary "garbage day" line, that he hadn't been an attraction at different conventions, telling stories of making the film. At least I couldn't find anything. It does make me think that maybe he was taking it all very seriously, as you suggest, and that maybe he quite ready to laugh about it yet.