Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63077 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Horror: The Final Chapter
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
Greasy Strangler was added to the list after listening to Filmspotting SVU #132 where they both recommended it. I listened to that episode again and Matt calls out Human Centipede as being shock for shock's sake in contrast to Strangler which has a deadpan comedic reason for the graphic humor. I might not disagree as strongly had I not seen HC3, where the centipede and the care and feeding of it - along with other disgusting moments - takes a backseat to the lead performance.

I will say that the humor of Greasy reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite and I HATED Napoleon Dynamite. So if you thought that film was hilarious, you will probably enjoy greasy more than I did.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »
Awesome accomplishment 1SO! To have that sort of depth of knowledge in a genre is very impressive.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
Not sure if I should congratulate you or send the men with the straightjacket. In either case, I'm impressed.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2017, 10:48:40 AM »
This has been a great accomplishment and a great resource.  I've already used it and I expect to use it again.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2017, 03:49:25 PM »
Indeed a great accomplishment, and it has been very enjoyable reading along.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Seeing all of this horror (much of it rather poor), are you tempted at all to take a crack at writing a horror film?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
I used to work for Clive Barker and Sean S. Cunningham. (Not at the same time.) I've written horror scripts for both of them. The Barker one (Age of Desire) was optioned and made it as far as Variety's list of films in Preparation. Link to still-existing press release. I've also developed a few horror ideas to pitch. The marathon didn't give me new horror ideas or inspire me to write any of my pitches.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Horror: A New Beginning
« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
The definitive list of 1000 Horror films (They Shoot Zombies Don't They) just posted their update for 2018.

192 new titles. 86 that I haven't seen.

This isn't something I'm interested in taking on right now, but it gives me something to look forward to for Shocktober.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2018, 05:59:50 PM »
I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
0 Stars
After 15 minutes of cute/clumsy antics by the lead while the camera leers at her up and down, this uncalled for remake of one of the most well-known terrible films had the bare minimum of my attention. This premise will always fail because as long as it’s written and directed by men, it will never earn the feminist shield it hides behind, and if it were ever made by a woman, an honest depiction of the horror would be more than any viewer could bear to sit through. This is better-acted than the original, but it also claims a moral superiority that it never earns.

Revenge is coming out in iTunes tomorrow and looks to potentially handle this ugly trope the right way:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/revenge_2018

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
I saw about the movie and heard the buzz, but I also feel like, "ugh, I'm probably going to end up watching this." Meaning if it's not as good as I'm hearing then I'm sitting through this all over again.

love