Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63087 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Horror: The Final Chapter
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2018, 11:49:21 PM »
Nice selections! Scanning through the thread, yeah, the minimalist ones kind of stand out don't they... especially during that era when the trend seemed to be the exact opposite (fill every square inch!).

I would go with these for my own top 5 :))

One thing I'm not a fan of, and Blood and Roses is a good example, is the how the tagline shrinks as you read it. Is this a horror movie poster or an undercover eyesight test?

Going back through the thread I see you watched Pandorum, but you didn't enjoy it quiet as much as I did. I kind of forgot about the hallucination parts. :))
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:52:40 PM by smirnoff »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
Hello everyone.

My exciting new life opportunities have put everything else on hold for the time being. I haven't had time to watch movies and for once I'm not twitchy about it... yet.

What I have been able to do in my spare time is work on a definitive Horror Watchlist. Without going too much into it, this came from complications I was having trying to come up with the right format. A ranked list was working fine until I got to the 1960s when the amount of horror films got too overwhelming. So, I created a format I think works best. Most of the work was done before I got super busy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:48:02 PM by 1SO »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2018, 01:46:42 AM »
I have seen 62 percent of this list.  I'm surprised at how many of the films I hearted, as horror wasn't my most favorite of genres, but I am certainly growing to love it under many supervised Shocktobers.

The first two I haven't seen are The Descent and Diabolique.  I have seen 45 of the initial 50 essentials.

I have seen 14 of your 30 essentials.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2018, 03:46:41 AM »
Alien and An American Werewolf in London.

I have my work cut out for me! :D Those movies and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari would make a good starter list for me for Shocktober, unless you'd like to recommend something(s) instead! (We talked about The Collector, but it's not at my library.)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #344 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
The first two I haven't seen are The Bride of Frankenstein and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I've seen 60% of it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
The first two I haven't seen are The Descent and Diabolique.  I have seen 45 of the initial 50 essentials.
Those two films I think of as being two very different types of Horror films, yet I can see you enjoying both a lot.

Alien and An American Werewolf in London.
I tried to get Mrs. 1SO to watch Alien, but she heard it was very gooey and that turned her off more than being scary. I want to show her James Gunn's Slither this year, but I think that one's more gooey so I'll probably just watch it alone.

Those two films are why I decided to include TSZDT Top 50. Alien I love, one of the Top 10 Horror films ever made. American Werewolf I like parts of, but there's a lot that doesn't work for me. However, if someone wanted to do a Corndog like marathon of the genre, Werewolf has to be included.

I have my work cut out for me! :D Those movies and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari would make a good starter list for me for Shocktober, unless you'd like to recommend something(s) instead! (We talked about The Collector, but it's not at my library.)
Dr. Caligari is a great starter because the Horror is in the atmosphere. It sets the table for the month really well.

The first two I haven't seen are The Bride of Frankenstein and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I've seen 60% of it.
Would you say this is because you're still educating yourself on the Classics, or is early Horror not as interesting to you as more recent films?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »
Taking the list Private while I build it up for Shocktober.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #347 on: August 28, 2018, 12:38:24 AM »
I tried to get Mrs. 1SO to watch Alien, but she heard it was very gooey and that turned her off more than being scary. I want to show her James Gunn's Slither this year, but I think that one's more gooey so I'll probably just watch it alone.

gooey :)

I don't mind gooey as much as demons and stuff, but it's not something I would intentionally go to a movie for! 

Those two films are why I decided to include TSZDT Top 50. Alien I love, one of the Top 10 Horror films ever made. American Werewolf I like parts of, but there's a lot that doesn't work for me. However, if someone wanted to do a Corndog like marathon of the genre, Werewolf has to be included.

Later in September, I might ask if you'd like to help me with a small Schocktober list. :)

Dr. Caligari is a great starter because the Horror is in the atmosphere. It sets the table for the month really well.

I will for sure put this on the list then!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #348 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:57 PM »
Of course I will still be hosting Shocktober this year and I'm looking forward to it, but at my current rate I won't be watching nearly as many films. I originally hoped to complete the 53 remaining titles from this Marathon by Oct. 1. That now seems impossible and I have wonderful reasons to not make that deadline.

I also hoped to release my definitive Horror Watchlist, and that may still happen sometime before Halloween.

For October, I will focus on my meal times with Mrs. 1SO and her list of not-so-scary titles. (Of the 48 films in her Watchlist, only 16 are officially classified as Horror.) I also may get to some of the re-watches I've been excited to return to, like Martyrs, Slither and Carnival of Souls.

I look forward to all of your participation.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #349 on: August 31, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »
I forget what it's called but there's a new podcast starting that's going through the Jason movies (similar to the James Bonding podcast). It's hosted by Matt Gourley and Paul Rust. Come October I might try following along.

love