Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63102 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Horror: The Final Chapter
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »
I have not seen a single one of the Jason movies.  I wonder if it's time for me to watch one.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #351 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
I also may get to some of the re-watches I've been excited to return to, like Martyrs, Slither and Carnival of Souls.

Three of my favorites! Excited for your thoughts when you revisit.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #352 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
I have not seen a single one of the Jason movies.  I wonder if it's time for me to watch one.
I enjoy the first four a lot, six is my favorite, the rest are mostly shades of bad, eight being the notable bad in that's so bad it's good.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #353 on: September 01, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
Despite my personal connection to some of the very nice people who worked on the series and my own participation on Jason X, I don't think I have anything good to say about the entire franchise.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #354 on: September 02, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »
I enjoy the first four a lot, six is my favorite, the rest are mostly shades of bad, eight being the notable bad in that's so bad it's good.

Can I skip around?  Watch, say, 1, 2 and 6?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #355 on: September 03, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
Yea, the lore is not strong. You really only need to have seen the first one to understand the basis of the series.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #356 on: September 05, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »
I've had some time to work on that Horror Watchlist. Discovering that the 80s was a really poor time for Horror. At first I thought it was because that's when my watching went into overdrive, but the number of good Horror films is very low. Of course, there are exceptions but I'm getting a big picture look of how little respect there was for the genre during that decade. It's not just the market being flooded with slashers. Plenty of thoughtless films from all the sub-genres.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
I'm in the final 10 years of the Watchlist. Meanwhile, I wanted to repost this obscure recommendation that's going onto the list.

Lake Mungo (2008)
* * * - Good
One of those Horror titles with a fair amount of good buzz. I have to limit what I say because how much you know going in can easily alter what you get out of it. The film is a supernatural documentary (not found footage) about a family dealing with the death of their drowned teenage girl. There's a strong subtext of a family dealing with grief that I can't help feel is exploitative when it's sharing screen time with a ghost story. Ultimately, the filmmakers decide to indulge the paranormal side, and I recommend it to horror fans because the film is really creepy with some moments of truly effective terror. Worth remembering for a Shocktober selection that's under 90 minutes.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »
I keep meaning to watch that one. Perhaps this Shocktober!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #359 on: September 16, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
The List is ready to be shared. 423 titles. I'll post it when I open the Shocktober thread.

love