love

Author Topic: #597: Suicide Squad / Top 5 Women Comic Book Characters (Done Right)  (Read 5622 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

Chicago critic and passionate comic-book fan Angelica Bastién joins Josh to consider DC's latest big-screen offering: SUICIDE SQUAD, starring Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto. They also take on the challenge of naming the Top 5 Women Comic Book Characters (Done Right) and play a round of Massacre Theatre. Plus, Angelica sits through Josh’s mild recommendation of JASON BOURNE. (She’s not a fan.)

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Totoro

Re: #597: Suicide Squad / Top 5 Women Comic Book Characters (Done Right)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:46:26 PM »
Cool attempt, but honestly don't care for a comic book insider to be on the show reviewing a comic book adaptation. I get enough of that on Facebook and over-eager nerds at bars.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
Cool attempt, but honestly don't care for a comic book insider to be on the show reviewing a comic book adaptation. I get enough of that on Facebook and over-eager nerds at bars.

Disagree.

She was great.  She took her role seriously, but stated her opinions lightly and assuredly. 
Texan Down Under

Totoro

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:10:46 AM »
Yeah, I guess I'm just more disinterested in covering Suicide Squad for a review.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »
I talk all the time behind the scenes about not being interested in this type of 'type-casting.' Fact: We had Angelica lined up for my vacation spot for weeks. (We had no idea she was a "comic book insider.") SHE suggested Suicide Squad would be a good fit for her. And obviously the timing made sense.

But this post just neatly proves the old adage that you can't win - bring on a guest really knowledgeable about the subject matter, somebody will complain; have only two guys who know nothing about the subject matter, somebody will complain. So the only answer is to not worry about pleasing anyone.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:33:13 PM by Adam »
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »

Disagree.

She was great.  She took her role seriously, but stated her opinions lightly and assuredly.

Agree I thought she was great. If they were reviewing a Kurosowa film I'd love to hear from a Japanese film expert. I see no difference.

She was too easy on the film though which was astoundingly awful.

RomeKnow

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
Wow, this guest host keeps talking about things being "infuriating". My question is, why would you get to that point? Maybe you should better keep your emotions in check. Movies shouldnt make you that upset or angry.

Please dont bring this lady back again. Shes very annoying.

Also...I love comic book movies, Im not super pretentious, so that is certainly not the case here.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
Of course movies should make you angry. If they can make you ecstatic or sad or out of breath then they can make you angry, too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

RomeKnow

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
Youve got too much time on your hands if youre always watching stuff that INFURIATES you. Not just makes you mad or angry....but INFURIATES you. I mean, hell, this is the stuff that she is an "expert" of, too!

It sure seems to me that she is recognizing her audience in this podcast, and trying to cater to them by what and how she says it. Like, WW, "theres women talking to each other, I didnt realize comic book movies could do that". Okay then, so dont watch comic book movies if you have such a sweeping generalized problem with them. Its pretty simple.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
Youve got too much time on your hands if youre always watching stuff that INFURIATES you.

Umm, not if it's your JOB.

love