Author Topic: #597: Suicide Squad / Top 5 Women Comic Book Characters (Done Right)  (Read 5618 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: #597: Suicide Squad / Top 5 Women Comic Book Characters (Done Right)
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 08:14:47 AM »
Youre all very, very pretentious. I hope thats understood.
Quite right.

Got it!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 08:23:10 AM by saltine »
Texan Down Under

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
And you should probably be more so - we understand.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 01:50:25 PM »
I think he said "two guys" because Josh and Adam are, you know, two guys.
Yep.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 02:01:47 PM »
Because these stories are something she loves, she expects to enjoy the movies. Because sometimes these movies aren't so great, they can be infuriating. I don't see the problem. Also, sometimes the infuriating movies are the ones that are the most fun to wrestle with in a review and/or in a conversation.

Anyways, on the original complaint, of "having an insider" talk on the subject of all these comic book movies, one of the things I've always appreciated about this podcast in general is that cinema is addressed with such an array of expertise. It's fun to listen to the show explore the great unknown (marathons, my favorite segment) and play along. It's also fun when we get an in depth expert's discussion of wuxia movies or Kiarostami's life, to cite a few examples of recent-ish episodes.

RomeKnow

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »

Telling someone to be pretentious is not good advice at all. Its not a good quality to have.

RomeKnow

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »
Because these stories are something she loves, she expects to enjoy the movies. Because sometimes these movies aren't so great, they can be infuriating. I don't see the problem.

Maybe she should keep her expectations in check then, and not think this movie is going to win Oscars or something.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
Because these stories are something she loves, she expects to enjoy the movies. Because sometimes these movies aren't so great, they can be infuriating. I don't see the problem.

Maybe she should keep her expectations in check then, and not think this movie is going to win Oscars or something.

If you love something, and you see a version of it that is a total disaster and misunderstands what you find good about it, which is what seems to be what's happened with Suicide Squad, why wouldn't you find it infuriating?

I love The Simpsons. The show, however, is way past its prime. When I watch current episodes I don't expect them to be very good. Sometimes they are ok. Sometimes they are so infuriating that I turn the show off. It's infuriating because it's characters I love being mishandled when they are capable of being used to create entertaining and moving stories.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 12:02:31 PM »

Wanting a film to be good has nothing to do with winning Oscars : there are plenty of action films with great characters, why should we settle for less just because it's a summer blockbuster ?
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:08 PM »

Telling someone to be pretentious is not good advice at all. Its not a good quality to have.

Being pretentious is the realm of all film critics, who can somehow determine quality in a medium that they have very little skill. If we weren't pretentious, from where would we write?

Hubris isn't horrible, in and of itself.  Harming others is the only real crime, and expressing our opinion strongly on someone else's work, especially on a podcast or a website, doesn't hurt anyone.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
I lost track after someone was annoyed at someone being angry about someone being infuriated. What are we up to now? ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love