love

Author Topic: Olympic Games: Rio 2016  (Read 5840 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Olympic Games: Rio 2016
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »

Rose is winning the golf
Murray is in the tennis final
We are stupidly good in the cycling
It's the Mo, Jess/KJT, Rutherford show tonight. 

Gunning for the Chinese's second place.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
So the ranking is gold first and then the other medals as tiebreakers, right?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Golds then silvers.

You might expect the bronzes to outweigh the silvers etc but it's an uneven spread throughout. The number of fourth place finishes GB athletes have had; the difference between medal and no medal is the most heartbreaking it feels. The difference in bad olympics and good ones is about how you turn fourth into bronze and bronze to silver. The differences are so slight sometimes that it's more force of will than athletic prowess.

Silver seems a valid top position because so many gold winners in any sport are legendary figures like Phelps or Wiggo or Bolt. People so good that the other athletes feel honoured to trail in behind.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 04:33:28 PM »
A-mazing!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 03:38:42 AM »

Second is ridiculous. We're only little.

My hope above any other medal is Cav winning any colour medal in the Omnium. It'll mean so much to him when he's already a legend.  ;D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 06:29:04 AM »
One of the popular things is to do a per capita adjustment to the medal counts, which naturally doesn't favor the US and China at the top. I'm not sure I buy that because even if the US is 10x the size of Canada or 1000x the size of Iceland (to name two that nicely round), in most sports you only get so many entries per nation. The US doesn't get 10x more runners or swimmers or basketball teams in competition than Canada does. If there was no cap, the US would arguably win more swimming and gymnastics medals at a minimum.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 03:53:24 PM »
Germany v Brazil in the football finals. Should be fun. Brazil have Neymar this time though.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
I wonder if Texas was a country how many medals we'd have.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:16:19 AM »
More Golds than Germany and Russia combined apparently. And half the US total medals.

These two are getting married next month. They now have ten gold medals between them. Sports day for their kids isn't going to be much fun for the other kids.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:23:33 AM by verbALs »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »
aww, that's so great. :)

I wonder if Texas was a country how many medals we'd have.

More Golds than Germany and Russia combined apparently. And half the US total medals.

All hail the mighty State!