love

Author Topic: Olympic Games: Rio 2016  (Read 5883 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Olympic Games: Rio 2016
« on: August 05, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
The opening ceremony is about to begin. The greatest show on earth.

Michael Phelps carrying the US flag
A refugee team of ten
Andy Murray carrying the Union Jack. When asked how it ranked as an honour he said leading your country out "it's number one". When a triple Grand Slam winner says that you have to believe.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Olympic Games: Rio 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:36:50 PM »
I'm calling them 'the pixote Olympics', because I'm a narcissist.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »
White water canoeing. What a thing.

The Olympics is full of stuff I love watching once every four years and it's enough.

What makes this event so special? A couple of British judo stars. Lost in their first contests. They lasted 2 minutes. They spent 4 years working towards this moment. A horrific downhill section in the Men's and women's Road Cycling Race claimed the leaders in both races. The leader in the woman's race crashed so badly it was sickeningly bad enough to look like she was dead. It was shocking and the race stopped meaning much. The reason these riders crashed is that they took risks to take an advantage that would mean they could win gold. It means that much. Novak Djokovic a legendary tennis player already lost and cried his heart out. He wants to win for his country.

So when someone wins a medal it represents a pinnacle of a mountain of pain, loss and despair. A tiny fraction of the effort of the whole. Not just gold. It only needs to be bronze. It elevates the gold winners to a pantheon level. Where legends are born.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
The Olympics are truly an emotional spectacle.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
Kind of glad I've thus far avoided seeing any of the nasty injuries. Just caught the canoe event. Every time I watch it I just want a chance to go down one of those routes.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
USA men losing at halftime to Australia in basketball! 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
Wiggo!! And Clancy, Burke, Doull, Heinz, Kenny and Skinner. 2 out of 3 golds on the track so far.

But Sir Bradley. 8 medals; 5 golds, a Tour de France, a Road Time Trial Gold.....a Mod!!

LEDGE!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:28:57 PM by verbALs »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 05:13:37 PM »
Won't mean much to non Canadians but wow is Penny Oleksiak and beast. So awesome.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
What a heartbreak for the Oz women, had a chance to close out the Brazilians, but couldn't finish the 5th shot in the shoot out. Great match though.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 11:39:19 PM »
Won't mean much to non Canadians but wow is Penny Oleksiak and beast. So awesome.

She is one of my 15,000 new crushes.

love