Author Topic: The A-Number-1 Best Song(s) of All Time: Objectively  (Read 8401 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: The A-Number-1 Best Song(s) of All Time: Objectively
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 11:58:17 PM »
Hmm do I still hate Kanye West?

*watches video*

Yep.

LoL...there is no video or song that will fix that. He is certainly polarizing. I come down on the side of: musical genius/troubled. That doesn't excuse his behavior or the problematic garbage that comes out of his mouth. His music just really elevates me. Possibly my second favorite recording artist of all-time, although I think it's about to get worse before (or if) it ever gets better.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2021, 08:06:38 AM »
I've listen to Kanye fairly extensively until the past couple of years. I love some of his stuff still but compare him to someone like Busta Rhymes or Chance the Rapper and it's not his raps that make him stand out but his productions.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2021, 08:36:38 AM »
Kanye is America's greatest artist since Bob Dylan.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2021, 11:36:55 AM »
k.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2021, 11:34:33 PM »
I've listen to Kanye fairly extensively until the past couple of years. I love some of his stuff still but compare him to someone like Busta Rhymes or Chance the Rapper and it's not his raps that make him stand out but his productions.

I hear you, Kanye is not a top tier rapper to me, either, in terms of skill or flow, but here, his taunts next to Jay’s schooling do it for me. I also generally think his words are underrated because they’re coming out of the mouth of one of the more obnoxious characters in popular music. The Dissect season on My Beautiful Twisted really breaks down both the intricacies of the production and the rhymes.

For me, Kendrick, Pusha T, Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, and maybe a few others are the defining rap artists of the generation, at least in terms of the kind of rap I value (not into much of the new alternative styles like cloud rap or sad rap, etc.). Kanye to me is a hybrid between rap and Pop, a great artist if not a great technical rapper or singer.

Just, as for HAM, it’s a vibe, and, especially considering the inclusion of a time-resistant Jay-Z, an ethic.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2021, 08:02:48 AM »
Oh, for sure. Gorgeous has some great lyricism that I think gets overlooked. He also kills it on No More Parties in LA. Still, those feel like rare exceptions when you have other rappers who have that level of lyricism with each track.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2021, 08:13:56 AM »
People sleeping on “put my fist in her like a civil rights sign.”

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2021, 12:53:43 AM »
Today on our PRO Act car caravan, I just blasted my favorite Public Enemy songs. Now, here's one I'm guessing the cinephiles of Filmspotting Forum can't argue with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmo3HFa2vjg&ab_channel=PublicEnemyVEVO

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »
Superstition - Stevie Wonder

I highly recommend this enthusiastic and informative discussion of Superstition and Stevie Wonder on a sports podcast. Yes, a sports podcast. The Stevie discussion starts at the 20 minute mark.
[]https://youtu.be/iUcihzoAVe8[]

Same podcast different episode discussed Stevie's As. That was good listening, too.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:25:04 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
Superstition - Stevie Wonder

I highly recommend this enthusiastic and informative discussion of Superstition and Stevie Wonder on a sports podcast. Yes, a sports podcast. The Stevie discussion starts at the 20 minute mark.
[]https://youtu.be/iUcihzoAVe8[]

Same podcast different episode discussed Stevie's As. That was good listening, too.

It took a local, funk-jazz band to turn me on to Stevie Wonder.  I sort of new him from Ebony and Ivory and other later 80’s music. As I wasn’t a huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fan though I liked their more commercial hits, I just assumed Higher Ground was an original.  Then one of the local bands would cover Superstition and Master Blaster (my fav) and that got me to go back and listen to more of his music. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman