love

Author Topic: Limping Over the Finish Line of AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies List (1998 ed.)  (Read 1052 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Goodfellas

Acrostic Poem for a Caustic Film

Mobsters on the move
A camera creating continuous takes
Feeling embedded in the warfare
Iconic showcase of ignoble humans
A one and done, 'cause reasons

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Is this the AFI top 100 or a marathon of violent Robert De Niro films? I can see why one limps over the finish line. :))

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
I have 25 Scorsese titles between Raging Bull and Goodfellas. I don't enjoy it for the toxic masculinity, I enjoy it because it is - my opinion - one of the best directed movies ever made. The swirling camera combined with the tightly controlled/somewhat improvised performances creating the dizzying intoxication that conveys the appeal of this lifestyle until it curdles into a cautionary tale, is the most brass band example of everything a good director aims to achieve.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Is this the AFI top 100 or a marathon of violent Robert De Niro films? I can see why one limps over the finish line. :))

Ha! He's exhausting!

I have 25 Scorsese titles between Raging Bull and Goodfellas. I don't enjoy it for the toxic masculinity, I enjoy it because it is - my opinion - one of the best directed movies ever made. The swirling camera combined with the tightly controlled/somewhat improvised performances creating the dizzying intoxication that conveys the appeal of this lifestyle until it curdles into a cautionary tale, is the most brass band example of everything a good director aims to achieve.

I'm in agreement with you, 1SO. Well said, especially this excellent sentence,
"...creating the dizzying intoxication that conveys the appeal of this lifestyle until it curdles into a cautionary tale..."

I couldn't help but be impressed throughout the film: The pacing, the camera work, the dialogue...

It's not my cup of tea, but it is something to behold.