Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 65181 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Trailers
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 01:05:31 AM »
Like 1SO, that's the kind of well-intentioned serious-but-silly movie I can get behind. It seems entirely uncynical, which I like.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
It's working in its own unique style, which I love and hope to see in full. The deliberate retro-70s/80s sci-fi with touches of Flash G, Tron and some Japanese fantasy (which also work within their budget limits but don't let that limit their imagination) can go either way in full form, but I like your dedication. It's telling that you want to use money not to upgrade the effects but to add a stop motion character. That's the kind of indie spirit I can get behind.

Thanks, 1SO! I'm glad the style and influences seem to be working for you. I'm pretty satisfied with the balance we struck between playing within the retro style and not getting bogged down by it. It will be great to hear some outside perspective once it's been released though!

The stop-motion character has been something we've really been dying to pull off. We have the scene all filmed and the character story-boarded in, and even someone to animate the stop-motion itself, but we've tried several iterations on making a puppet ourselves and just haven't been able to make it work. IMO falling back to CG would undercut the whole scene, even though we use plenty of CG elsewhere out of necessity all of the characters have been practical and it would drastically change the feel of the project I think. We've consulted some real model-makers and have a plan ready to go, so I'm really excited to see it finally happen.

Like 1SO, that's the kind of well-intentioned serious-but-silly movie I can get behind. It seems entirely uncynical, which I like.

Thanks Junior! Uncynical is great to hear! None of us would have been interested in working this hard on something that wasn't made out of genuine enthusiasm, despite it being very silly, so I'm glad it shows. :)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »
Ben Affleck's "Live By Night"

Robert Richardson's cinematography looks as amazing as usual.

My Switchboard

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
Not a trailer exactly, but I never did post this for the project I've been working on and it's the most footage we've shown off of this silly thing. Would be cool to hear what people think!

Much like an good SNL skit, it could be a challange to expand that nugget of goodness into a feature length film. Some "shticks" don't lend themselves to that sort of thing. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm not getting that "stretched too thin" sense from the footage though... it looks like it could be an endearing, cheeky parody.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »
Thanks for checking it out, smirnoff!

It is an earnest story being told first and foremost, not so much parody as just being allowed to be ridiculous (not in a jokey self-aware way). We know it won't be for everyone, but the reactions we've gotten from the few people who have seen the rough cut are encouraging that it does work as it's own movie. Will be exciting to see what more viewers think! :)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Ben Wheatley's "Free Fire" starring Brie Larson, Armie Hammer, Cillian Murphy and Sharlto Copley

My Switchboard

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »
I've cooled on Wheatley a lot since High Rise. I don't understand what the appeal is here at all. We have a great cast, except Copley, who looks like he's going to annoy me a lot. The rest is a bad student film idea. None of the dialogue even made me smile.

I hope I'm wrong but this ain't no Sightseers.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 05:10:03 PM »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
Nocturnal Animals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juFmTNbFh8g#no

Moana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKFuXETZUsI#no

I'm into both of these. Love the color in both.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”