love

Author Topic: Trailers  (Read 65144 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Trailers
« Reply #270 on: March 31, 2017, 07:49:17 AM »
I am curious, did you watch it in theatres? I am quite sure I would not have. I wasn't being taken to the theatre with any regularity when I was 6.

Star Wars also didn't come out when you were 6.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #271 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
Yeah but other blockbusters were coming out and I never went to those. The Matrix, Phantom Menace and X-Men came out in 1999 and 2000 and I went to none of those. In fact, now that I think about it, 6 would probably have been too early an age for me to watch a movie like that. I would only ever watch the original trilogy and the movies I mentioned years later.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #272 on: March 31, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
I'm with Martin re Planet of the Apes, but then again I am also older and have a different sense of aesthetic.  I was 7 when Star Wars came out, and I made my dad take me to see it in the theater 3 times during its run.  Keep in mind that I lived in a small midwestern town with a single screen balconied theater, literally on Main Street, and no cable TV or VCRs until I was about 10.. As such, I find a lot of the CGI-heavy action fare (e.g., the entire Marvel universe) to be weightless and underwhelming, and having recently watched the De Palma doc, he made an observation about the production of these kinds of films that may explain why: a lot of these action sequences are "previsualized" by the people who know he technology, rather than the director or cinematographer, which is why they tend to look so generic, so video-gamish, as opposed to cinematic.*  That said, I think the contemporary Apes movies do a very good job with the closeup non-action CGI work; it's just the storytelling, dialogue, etc. that I've never been that impressed with (above average, nothing more).

(*I realize that for those who are 7+ years younger than me, "video-gamish" may be the new "cinematic" aesthetic.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:29:41 AM by sdb_1970 »
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #273 on: March 31, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
I am curious, did you watch it in theatres? I am quite sure I would not have. I wasn't being taken to the theatre with any regularity when I was 6.

Yes, I saw each of the original trilogy in the theater.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #274 on: March 31, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
I don't get the appeal of the new Planet of the Apes films. Seeing humanity destroyed by apes doesn't seem entertaining, enlightening or interesting to me. I do like the old original because it feels like one of those campy what if sci-fi stories while the new films feels so sincere for such a silly concept.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
That's not what happens. The entire point of all the Apes movies I've seen is that humanity destroys itself. That just happens to coincide with the apes' mutation into consciousness and their rise to power in the worldwide status quo. And even if they are about the apes exterminating or enslaving humanity, that's just a metaphor for the fall or one empire at the hands of a new, rising one. It's Rome

And I disagree with the whole idea of "silly concept". The whole point of science-fiction is to take an impossible idea and to run with it, to try to see how it would work. Of course they take it seriously, that's the whole point. The old movies feel ridiculous because of things like the apes being able to speak English.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »

I saw the original SW in the theatre but I think I was 7 or 8.  I just remember being underwhelmed but when I moved to the US every kid my age loved it
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Terrazine

« Reply #277 on: April 02, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Kq2qliOXc

This looks so terrible already. The shots are so messy and chaotic. All that shakey cam BS. Not to mention that it has the vibe of "generic running Tom Cruise action flick" which I hated from the Mission Impossible films. I mean, the original Mummy films were glorified B-movies, but all the more reason not to remake them with the same level of quality.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
I don't know, it looks pretty fun to me. There is a Mission: Impossible vibe to the trailer and the action particularly, but those have been among the most fun films of the past decade, so I'm not opposed to aping their style.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #279 on: April 02, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
By my record, Tom Cruise has only made one bad film.

love