Author Topic: 1SO vs. The 2010s: Best of the Decade Marathon  (Read 41720 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. The 2010s: Best of the Decade Marathon
« Reply #460 on: July 03, 2020, 11:06:15 PM »
I can't believe it took me almost half a year. Thanks for following along.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #461 on: July 04, 2020, 04:52:52 AM »
Sad times.  :'( It was REALLY good.

Sam is still up, though!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #462 on: July 04, 2020, 05:15:34 AM »
I'm getting back on track!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »
This marathon was awesome and I'm just sad I have been so busy the last few months that I haven't been able to follow along and jump in with comments as it went. But the other day I had the pleasure of a quiet and comfy patio, a beer, and spent a few hours catching up. Great reading. So many great insights and I loved reading how your feelings and takes on these films have developed over the years and over the multiple viewings. Great marathon and I look forward being able to compare notes when I happen to rewatch some of these films myself.

re: Mission impossible

Rogue Nation and Fallout have the appearance of a better story because they take it seriously, but what happens with all the secret double-triple agents is actually even more ridiculous. I wish I had the patience to search through some of smirnoff's rants on this, because he nails the stupidity of it.

What I could find.

Shmission Shmimposhible: Shmogue Shmation

I'll never watch another MI. Done with it. Hated the way they used Rhames' character. Hated Pegg's unfunny character. Hated how Hunt bumbled shit more often than he did things competently. CINECAST! you Alec Baldwin, get out of this movie. Jeremy Renner get a new agent. Rebecca Ferguson, whoever you are you're the only good part. Tom Cruise, you're still the best but this sucked. Christopher McQuarrie, go dig a mine shaft and jump in it. Call it Mission Impossible: 6 Feet Under. RIP MI series. Cause of death, immense suckage.

John Woo, release the pigeons!

0/5

Spectre vs. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation
Rogue Nation is the typical goofy fun you’d expect from Mission: Impossible with plenty of preposterous sequences and goofy jokes.

That is what's taken the series downhill for me. It's like ever since MI:III the notes that have come back have been "more Pegg!". And so in IV they gave you lots more.... and still the notes were "more Pegg!". In V it's no longer a story of a competent spy executing impossible missions with brilliant precision and wonderful improvisation, aided by a team of highly specialized operatives. Instead it's a series of blunders and cock ups where our hero succumbs to pratfall after pratfall, and I'm left wondering when Ethan Hunt became Wild E. Coyote. All the while Benji is on the radio, blissfully ignorant of everything going on, and provides operational instructions as if the mission were going smoothly.

I long for the days when Luther Stickle was shitting his pants in the comm van because he could see the operation going sideways. Now the series is content to undercut the tension of every scene so they can have another one-liner to splash in a trailer.

I direct a million fart noises in the general direction of MI:V. The series is dead.

I should revisit Ghost Protocol at some point. The entire run from 1 to 3 are a pleasure in their own way and I think I enjoyed MI:IV too, but I've only seen it the one time strangely.

Other comments to follow as I get time. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
Thank you for the compliment and your quotes.

love