Author Topic: A Decade of Filmspots  (Read 24919 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: A Decade of Filmspots
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2016, 06:14:11 AM »
My description of it for movie buffs is The Red Shoes by way of Repulsion and since both of those are on my Top 100 it's perhaps no surprise that this is, too. Love those following shots, and I also love the melodrama. Glad you got at least a little out of it.

I mean, it doesn't come close to The Red Shoes, but yeah, that. I don't love it but it was probably one of the best movies of that year.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2016, 04:32:16 AM »
The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodóvar, 2011).

The first 30 minutes or so of The Skin I Live In, I sat and thought about these scientists, researchers, medics and what have you, who conduct their work single-handedly. Whithout assistants or helping hands they achive superior results in labs that always are impeccably organized and clean. Suspending that disbelief the film began to work and I concluded that the slickness matches the elegancy of Almodóvar's movie as a whole. The space and ambiance and the props all have a solid appearance. The actors and their costumes too. And the script has an equal artisanal feel. The Skin I Live In  is a tale about revenge, horrificly orchestrated and  fiendishly realized.

I had forgotten how good Almodóvar can be.

This was Best Non-English Language Film for 2011. 65°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2016, 04:55:08 AM »
pixote, I posted Phoenix here without realizing it is on my Decade list here. Please index. Thanks. :)
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2017, 12:44:38 PM »
My review of Another Year. I definitely would've supported the film's nomination for Ensemble Cast (something I do sight-unseen with a Mike Leigh film), though I still would have voted for eventual winner A Separation.

As mentioned in my review, I thought Lesley Manville was good in her role but not pitch-perfect. Looking at the other nominees in the Supporting Actress category, I probably would have nominated her, too, and maybe even voted for her to win, pushing her past Jessica Chastain (Take Shelter).

The line "Life's not always kind, is it?" jumped out for me in the film, too, though I think it was just because I faintly remembered its Filmspot nomination. It doesn't strike me as particularly award-worthy — but I didn't really like the whole crop of Line nominees that year.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »
I feel like best line and best delivery could be two separate categories. Some lines are nothing on the page, but perfectly delivered.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
Bright Star (three birds, one stone)

2009 Filmspots

Best Cinematography
     Greig Fraser, Bright Star — 40.6%
     Christian Berger, The White Ribbon — 28.3%
     Roger Deakins, A Serious Man — 12.5%
     Barry Ackroyd, The Hurt Locker — 11.2%
     Robert Richardson, Inglourious Basterds — 7.5%

As beautiful as much of the photography of Bright Star is, I think the distracting, handheld aspect of some it would have tipped my vote towards A Serious Man, though it would have been a very close call. The film probably should've competed in the Best Shot category as well, though hard to choose which one. Ebert singled on the field of purple flowers, which was thankfully FYC'd with a screenshot:

Very nice, though I think perhaps others left more of an impression on me, though I'd be hard-pressed to have labeled them (which is one of the difficulties of the Shot category, when films aren't yet on DVD).

pixote
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:18:21 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
So beautiful. I would frame that and hang it somewhere. :)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »
Start here.

Oh yeah, that would have been plenty persuasive.

pixote

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member

love