Author Topic: A Decade of Filmspots  (Read 24903 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: A Decade of Filmspots
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 02:40:55 PM »
Don't forget to link your reviews to your list!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »

I'm Not There.  (Todd Haynes, 1999)

If I could draw, this review would take the form of a four-panel comic strip, capturing my thoughts as I watched I'm Not There. from the comfort of my couch.
  • The first panel would be labeled The First Thirty Minutes, and the thought bubble above my grinning would read, "Masterpiece!" as I simultaneously exclaimed out loud, "Richie Havens!"!.
  • The second panel would be labeled The Next Ninety Minutes, and the bubble above my quizzical look would read, "Hmm..."!.
  • In the third panel, labeled The Third Act, I'd thoughtfully rub my chin and say, "Huh."!.
  • And in the final panel, I'd shrug and smile.
From what I've read, the Richard Gere/Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid/Masked and Anonymous section caused viewers the most consternation, but for me it was actually the Heath Ledger section that most disrupted my engagement. These scenes are wonderfully filmed, and the performances by Ledger and Charlotte Gainsbourg are lovely, but they never quite fit with the film as a whole. The problem, I think, is that this section belongs not to Ledger's Dylan-twice-removed character (which is distancing enough, but still interesting at a theoretical perspective) but rather to Gainsbourg's character, Claire, who doesn't feel of a piece the movie's already strained, web-like structure.

Anyway, I'm Not There was definitely deserving of its Filmspots for Supporting Actress (Blanchett) and Ensemble Cast (even David Cross more of less worked), and it probably should have made more of a dent in Kickass Scene ("Goin' to Acapulco" was near perfection) and Line ("All they want from me is finger-pointin' songs. I only got ten fingers.") — though it's hard to know which lines to credit to the script and which to Dylan himself. I'm glad it lost the Editing award, if only for the one cut connecting Bruce Greenwood's two different characters.

Very glad I finally caught up with this movie.

Grade: B+

pixote
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:05:34 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 05:09:42 PM »
Yeah, that's a movie that made my most recent Top 100 list based on rewatches of scenes from the Cate Blanchett sections. That part is obviously indebted to Don't Look Back, but Blanchett does so much with her affected unaffectedness that it makes it a truly individual experience. I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to see if your criticisms match my own, though I'm inclined to agree about the Ledger/Gainsbourg bits as well.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 05:18:57 PM »
According to the spoiler thread and the podcast, the Blanchett section owes more, stylistically, to Fellini's 8 1/2; and content-wise to Eat the Document. There's definitely some Dont Look Back in there as well, though.

People seem divided on Bale. I actually really liked him here, more than usual.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Maybe I just got that impression based on the time period and Dylan-type lining up. It also features a few direct rips, if memory serves, but it's been a while for both movies.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 09:44:25 PM »
Of the winners (highlighting what I have at least some interest in seeing...)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, The Darjeeling Limited, Enchanted

Wendy and Lucy
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Rachel Getting Married
Milk
Chop Shop, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Flight of the Red Balloon

A Christmas Tale
17 Again
Antichrist, Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire, 35 Shots of Rum, 24 City, Bright Star

Dogtooth
Four Lions

Warrior
The Guard
Melancholia, Drive, Hugo, Alamar

The Master
Rust and Bone
Amour, The Kid with a Bike, Django Unchained, Holy Motors, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Cabin in the Woods

The Hunt
The Grandmaster
Gimme the Loot
Spring Breakers, Wolf Children, At Berkeley

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
We Are the Best!
Inherent Vice, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, X-Men Days of Future Past

Mad Max: Fury Road
Bridge of Spies
Mommy
Creed
Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
What We Do in the Shadows
Phoenix, Steve Jobs, Clouds of Sils Maria, The Assassin, World of Tomorrow, The Hateful Eight
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:10:14 PM by smirnoff »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 10:41:41 PM »
It's so surprising to me that you haven't seen Warrior yet; or Fury Road, for that matter.

Maybe we can conspire to watch Gett, The Guard, or Mommy together (among others).

pixote

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 10:46:49 PM »
You've crossed out some of my favorites there (including five past and present Top 100 movies) but also you've got a bunch of great ones not crossed out.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »
Quote from: pixote
Best Supporting Actress (2008)
     Rosemarie DeWitt, Rachel Getting Married — 41.7%
     Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona — 22.1%
     Viola Davis, Doubt — 15.4%
     Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler — 12.0%
     Tilda Swinton, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button — 8.8%

Rachel Getting Married

I didn't go into this with a spotlight on Rosemarie Dewitt. It was only after the film ended I went back and looked up which category in particular this film had taken a prize in. I was surprised by it. It didn't really occur to me that I was watching any performances. The film is so crowded with people, many of whom struck me as being non-actors. That and the way the camera swims through the crowd... I got a bit lost in it. It's a very hectic movie. It feels more like a wedding guest's found footage than a traditional wedding drama.

Unfortunately much of that footage has the same unprofessional, unedited, flabby quality that makes home videos what they are (not fit for human consumption, unless you're family). Boring speeches in their entirety, the ceremony, singing, dancing, more speeches.... all things that people take it upon themselves to record, which would be better reduced to a 5 minute highlight package than a 2 hour documentary. The film is at it's worst when it's having to push forward the goings on of the actual wedding.

To make matters worse, it's an annoying wedding. People singing their vows, dogs in the procession... does it all have to be so cutesy and eclectic?

Really good drama though. That half of the film is excellent. Difficult and compelling.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:05 AM »
I still think "That is so unfair!" should've won Best Line.

edit: Actually, the nominated lines from Juno and Knocked Up are pretty great, too. I've referenced the former on more than one occasion in the years since.

pixote
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:49:30 AM by pixote »