Author Topic: #601: Morris From America / Southside with You / Nordic #7 - Rams  (Read 1239 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#601: Morris From America / Southside with You / Nordic #7 - Rams
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »

Single dad moves to Germany for work bringing his reluctant, rap-obsessed teen son along with him. The Sundance-friendly plot made comic drama MORRIS FROM AMERICA a hit in Park City in January, but Chicago proves only half-friendly, with Adam and Josh splitting on director Chad Hartigan's new film. And since Josh was busy editing his book over the weekend, Adam had to turn to the Call-a-Critic line to help him with reviews of Ira Sach's LITTLE MEN (Village Voice's Alan Scherstuhl) and the Obama-first-date movie SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU (rogerebert.com's Odie Henderson). Plus, a farewell to comedy legend Gene Wilder, thoughts on the new thriller DON'T BREATHE, and the final film in the Contemporary Nordic Cinema Marathon, 2015 Cannes-winner RAMS from Iceland.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Re: #601: Morris From America / Southside with You / Nordic #7 - Rams
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
Kind of disappointed in the Bunuel marathon picks. The later films in my opinion are his better films. I really wish films like The Phantom of Liberty, Simon of the Desert, and Milky Way would have made the list.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but looking at the lineup on the home page... yes, those are some odd Bunuel picks. Robinson Crusoe and Death in the Garden are among his weakest, least distinctive films (and I find Diary of a Chambermaid to be a bit overrated as well, but it's certainly more "essential" Bunuel than those other two.

I'll have to listen to hear the reasons behind these choices. Disappointed that Exterminating Angel isn't in the works.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 12:37:29 AM »
I haven't listened to the episode yet, but looking at the lineup on the home page... yes, those are some odd Bunuel picks. Robinson Crusoe and Death in the Garden are among his weakest, least distinctive films (and I find Diary of a Chambermaid to be a bit overrated as well, but it's certainly more "essential" Bunuel than those other two.

I'll have to listen to hear the reasons behind these choices. Disappointed that Exterminating Angel isn't in the works.

They said the reasoning was that some films they have already seen and that they are also trying to get the most accessible films possible.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 02:50:18 AM »
I think Robinson Crusoe and Death in the Family were picked for availability (they're on Mubi). They specifically mentioned Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie as one they've already seen, might be the case for some of the other more acclaimed ones too.

Robinson Crusoe by Bunuel sounds intriguing though.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
I've seen it. Made a top 5 or two I think.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
Ah yes, I remember now.

love