love

Poll

Which do you observe first? The book/literary work or the screen adaptation?

Book/literary work
4 (50%)
Film/tv show/etc.
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Which first: Book or film?  (Read 5098 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Which first: Book or film?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
The phrase "become oblivious to the writing style" isn't something I can equate with reading. The process of reading that is. Also any surprise if its intrinsic to the enjoyment of the book means it aint much of a book.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
I usually choose one medium or another.  Because a book often has the details that I prefer, if I experience both versions, I will watch the movie first, because if the book it different (and it will be) then I won't be disappointed in the movie.  The movie gives visuals the book only hints at; the book gives thoughts and plots the movie doesn't express.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »
If a film is coming out, I wouldn't then try to read the book first.

This. I have never done that. In fact... now that I think of it, there are very few times when I've seen a movie and it made me want to go read the book. The Trial is a notable exception. It's one of my favorite movies and the book (and all of Kafka) is now one of my favorite books.

But that's a rare case. So to answer the poll question, I guess in cases where I've experienced both, the book usually comes first. And a book is more likely to make me want to see the movie than vice versa.

Also any surprise if its intrinsic to the enjoyment of the book means it aint much of a book.

This too. Surprise can be a key element to a reading experience, but if the book is written well, then surprise won't be the ONLY element that makes it worth reading. I feel that "spoilers" are much more likely to sour a viewing experience than a reading one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:41:21 AM by MartinTeller »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 09:47:24 AM »
The Trial is so fine so admirable so well written. I have his anthology sitting there staring me out. Can't wait to get to Mrtamorphisis and The Castle. I'm kinda saving them as a treat.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »
The Trial is a mess. Literally.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love