Author Topic: #600: Top 5 Movies Future Historians Will Remember w/ Chuck Klosterman  (Read 3348 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!

Citizen Kane, Vertigo, The Godfather. 200 years from now, will anyone even remember these movies? Or are we currently overlooking the classics of the future? Writer Chuck Klosterman joins Adam and Josh on this special 600th episode to discuss his new book "But What If We’re Wrong? Thinking About the Present As If It Were The Past" and to take part in possibly the most challenging Top 5 in the history of the show: Movies Future Historians Will Remember. Plus, listeners help us celebrate #600 with favorite memories from our first 11+ years.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: #600: Top 5 Movies Future Historians Will Remember w/ Chuck Klosterman
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
Congrats on #600, guys! And great Top 5 topic!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Yes, congrats! ... And Chuck Klosterman was a great guest (a focus on cultural history, rather than film criticism, seemed particularly appropriate to mark this event - a podcast that makes it to 600).  To Klosterman's question he posed for top 5 pic #2, my answer (my hope) would be United 93, but his choice is most likely fit his criteria.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »
Fascinating topic, been thinking about it all day. Two I was thinking of were Children of Men and Saving Private Ryan.

Children of Men : one of the major things happening right now is the decrease of fertility in Europe and North America, + refugee crisis which might become a major element specific to the 21st century. Also it's very good, so that might be wishful thinking.

Saving Private Ryan : less confident about this one, but certainly THE thing defining the 20th century are the world wars (and the cold war, but I think the world wars will be the n°1 thing), so when Chuck started talking about a film depicting a historical event in a way that makes the film overshadow the event... that D-Day sequence might be it for future generations. For us, D-Day is a very concrete thing because our parents/grandparents were alive for it, but I can imagine future history teachers using Saving Private Ryan to show what war was like in the 20th century.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:04:15 PM »
Great show guys!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »

Congratulations!  :)

Totoro

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:10 PM »
Historians will remember what film critics, by large, don't even recognize yet either due to condescension or lack of knowledge:

The Daily Vlogs of Casey Neistat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHCw87Enq4&list=PLTHOlLMWEwVy52FUngq91krMkQDQBagYw&index=1

YouTube is the most innovative form of media for this generation. DIY filmmaking is starting to show its influence in the older mediums like film and TV. A lot of it used to be talking heads (and a lot of it still is), but there is an innovative movement happening, mostly in the work of Neistat who takes the focus, for the most part, off of him and moreso on his various experiences. Gatekeepers of older mediums are inherently the antagonists of diversity. There is very little meritocracy in traditional filmmaking and even TV today, but it's in full bloom on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 06:11:55 PM by Totoro »

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:32 PM »
Best episode in a long time. Loved the discussion. I read Chuck's book and this was a perfect framing of it.

Great job.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 01:34:24 AM »
Congrats on #600, guys! And great Top 5 topic!

pixote
Yes! Great episode!

DarkCrystal

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
Hi Filmspotting community,

Been probably 1-2 years since I've logged on here, even though I still listen to every episode religiously.  Just wanted to send a general congratulations to Adam and all the past and current co-hosts on what an amazing accomplishment to get to this point in Filmspotting history.

Here's to 600 more episodes :-)

Cheers,

Dave