love

Author Topic: Ciné Bambini: Adolescence on Film  (Read 1391 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Ciné Bambini: Adolescence on Film
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:35:09 AM »
Chapter One: Kinoglasnost Kids

One Hundred Days After Childhood  (Sergei Solovyov, 1975)
Woodpeckers Don't Get Headaches  (Dinara Asanova, 1977)
Theme  (Gleb Panfilov, 1979) *
Tough Kids  (Dinara Asanova, 1983)
My Friend Ivan Lapshin  (Alexei German, 1983)
Kindergarten  (Yevgeny Yevtushenko, 1984)
Scarecrow  (Rolan Bykov, 1984)
Tomorrow There Was War  (Yuri Kara, 1987)
Messenger  (Karen Shakhnazarov, 1987)
Little Vera  (Vasili Pichul, 1988)
Days of the Eclipse  (Aleksandr Sokurov, 1988) *
Freeze, Die, Resurrect  (Vitali Kanevsky, 1989)

* Theme and Days of the Eciipse might not fit the theme of this marathon directly, but I'm still anxious to see them and hope they add context to the other films.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:32:05 PM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Ciné Bambini: Adolescence on Film
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
Only seen Ivan Lapshin from this list. I thought it was decent.

I think Khutsiyev's I Am Twenty would be great for this. 20 is a teensy bit older than we usually think of "adolescence" but I would say it still fits.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »
I think Khutsiyev's I Am Twenty would be great for this. 20 is a teensy bit older than we usually think of "adolescence" but I would say it still fits.

That's definitely one I'd like to circle back to, either as a one-off bonus film or maybe as part of a later chapter looking at Soviet films from the end of WWII through 1975.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

valmz

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
I've seen five of these in my wanderings through the wonders of communist gems. I fully support the inclusion of Days of the Eclipse in this list, especially as I see no criteria for why a film has to be included in this list. It's relevant. You won't forget it. I know I haven't. All five of the ones I have seen were definitely worth seeing, and some amazing, but I don't want to spoil any more of your fun. Enjoy!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Can we get some background on this ? Is there a particular reason you're interested in adolescence ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
Can we get some background on this ? Is there a particular reason you're interested in adolescence ?

It's just a theme I've always been drawn to in art, and I think there's a universality to childhood that makes the variances in cultural representations of that experience all the more interesting. Coming-of-age films dominate my imaginary watchlist, so this project is also a way to work through them in a somewhat organized manner, with the various films hopefully informing each other as I progress through them.

I actually watched One Hundred Days After Childhood a couple months ago, but I've been intimidated by how much I want to say about both it and its historic/cinematic backdrop. I really need to set aside like a whole Sunday to walk through a chapter-by-chapter analysis of it. Maybe this is the weekend for that, depending on how the football games go.

pixote

love