Author Topic: #602: Top 5 Comedies of the 21st Century / Young Frankenstein  (Read 1535 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
#602: Top 5 Comedies of the 21st Century / Young Frankenstein
« on: September 09, 2016, 12:32:06 PM »

Earlier this year, the BBC polled movie critics worldwide for the best films of the 21st century. The resulting list has been the subject of debate ever since. Noticeably under-represented? Comedies. On this week's show, Adam and Josh try to remedy that oversight with their Top 5 Comedies of the 21st Century. Also, in honor of the late Gene Wilder, a Sacred Cow review of one of the 20th century’s great comedies: Mel Brooks’ YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. Plus, Michael Phillips calls in from the Venice Film Festival with with some thoughts on the fest, Wilder and the BBC Top 100.

Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: #602: Top 5 Comedies of the 21st Century / Young Frankenstein
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »
Ah neat top 5. I look forward to hearing the choices.

Totoro

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
Am I mistaken or have neither of you seen 21 JUMP STREET?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:58:33 PM »

10. Mistress America - Baumbach, 2015

9. Meet the Fockers - Roach, 2004

8. School of Rock - Linklater, 2003

7. Just Friends - Kumble, 2005

6. Moonrise Kingdom - Anderson, 2012

5. About a Boy - Weitz and Weitz, 2002

4. Bridesmaids - Feig, 2011

3. MacGruber - Taccone, 2010

2. Wet Hot American Summer - Wain, 2001

1. Best in Show - Guest, 2000
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 02:47:41 AM »
Top 10-ish UK comedies

Sightseers
Four Lions
Exit Through The Gift Shop
In The Loop
Shaun of the Dead

Submarine
Hot Fuzz
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
(for "Cuddly Toy" alone)
Attack the Block
Tristram Shandy
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

So that covers Chris Morris, Steve Coogan, Armando Iannucci, Joe Cornish, Brydon, Edgar Wright, Ben Wheatley, Alice Lowe, Riz Ahmed, Banksy, Nick Park, Richard Ayoade, Pegg/Frost, Peter Capaldi, the Batch, Julia Davis.

The others?

Zoolander
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Cedar Rapids
What We Do In The Shadows
Cyrus
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:41:03 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
Am I mistaken or have neither of you seen 21 JUMP STREET?
Part of why I mentioned Lord/Miller... I like both 21 and Lego.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

qt92

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:06:00 AM »
Comedies. That's hard. After hearing the show I realize I don't watch a lot of pure comedy films anymore.

I decided to give two of the mentioned movies I missed a chance. Starting with "The Other Guys", only to realize I'd already tried it once before without finishing. Maybe got to the 15 minute mark that first try. This time I think I made it to half an hour before falling asleep. Not my kind of movie. Over the top in a bad way.

Next up was "Cedar Rapids" which sounded great. Slightly disappointed I would still consider it to be a strong 3/5. Funny cast, but I think making the straight man protagonist to a 40y-virgin kind of character was unnecessary and felt lazy.

Trying to put together my own top five turned out to be close to impossible, realizing "Office Space" were a few months too old to qualify didn't help either.

Searching in my memory for movies in the right time frame that I consider to be great and funny a few come to mind such as "The Big Short", "Stranger Than Fiction", "Wolf of Wall Street" and "Sideways". But are they Comedy comedies? Nah, not really, right?

Anyhow, this is my top five:

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
Just love this one. Segel & Kunis are so sweet and Russell Brand adds just the right amount of, well Russel Brand.

"Burn After Reading"
Brad Pitt steals every scene.

"Little Miss Sunshine"
One could argue Sunshine isn't really a pure comedy either, but I'll allow it or I'll never get this list done.

"The Hangover"
Probably the one with most LOL-moments on my list. Some scenes were simply hysterical at the first viewing.

"Bridesmaids"
This is somewhat a stretch to complete the list, it's a great cast and I love it, but the film would have gained a lot by being cut down by at least 20 minutes.

My two cents.

Thanks for a great podcast!

/m

mcnez

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
So many great comedies have been mentioned, but only a handful highlighted the comedic strengths of women. So I've decided to create my list using this lens. (To clarify, my list isn't limited to just women. I just tried not to forget them, as so many lists do.):

1. Bridesmaids: Yes, the movie is too long, but the boutique, bridal shower and airplane scenes make the entire thing sooooo worth it. I could watch it a thousand more times.

2. Anchorman Because Veronica Corningstone. I don't care that she ended up with him and had to put up with his sorry ass.

3. Spy: She owned it. Owned it, I say!

4. Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle Funny, original, and hilarious. Does no one else think this is funny?

5. Superbad. Things that Donald Trump says nowadays that are acceptable (and funny) only if they come out out of Jonah Hill's mouth.

6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I could have done without the puppets. No, I take that back. Keep the puppets.

7. 40-year Old Virgin: Carell with the boys was good, but with Keener to bounce off of, he was even better.

8. Best in Show: Parker Posey, Jane Lynch, Jennifer Coolidge, Catherine O'Hara, oh my. And the guys are ok.

9. The Night Before: Yes, the actresses were relegated to supporting roles, but at least they had a pulse - and God forbid - a sense of humour, and they don't play into the stereotypes of the frustrated wife who has to put up with the man-child.  And Jillian Bell is amAHzing (and she's the funniest thing about 22 Jump Street). And Anthony Mackie is deliciously dirty and funny.

10. Pineapple Express: I tend not to like action movies, but apparently I love them when they're funny.

11. This is the End: Watching pale white guys make fun of themselves was so much fun. Yes, I have a thing for pale white guys.

12. What We Do in the Shadows: Omigod. Omigod! I said I liked pale.

Honorable Mentions:

I just watched Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping. I laughed uncontrollably through that entire movie, and I can't explain why. I swear I was sober.

Also: Zoolander, Tropic Thunder, The Trip, Trainwreck, Borat, The Heat, Talladega Nights, Wedding Crashers, The Big Short, I Love You Man (slappa da bass!), and Whisky Tango Foxtrot (I thought it was really good!)

I know, you probably think I've listed every so-so comedy of the past decade and a half, but I will defend each and every one if asked to do so.  Each film sustained me until the next good one came along. There are so many bad comedies out there that I didn't mention, I promise. I think post-2000 comedies are incredible (thanks to Apatow, McKay, Rogen, Waititi, Fey, Schumer, Sandberg, Ferrell...need I go on?), and comedy is hard. So hard. And underrated.

And, if While We're Young had a different ending (which I know would have made it less of a comedy), I might have liked it better. But it's a no-go for me.

Off to watch Young Frankenstein now. I've never seen it. [Hangs head in shame.]

love